This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to me AC SC Post Hole Auger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to me AC SC Post Hole Auger
    Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 10:00pm
Here is what I found buried in the corner of a barn, and what ended up on my trailer..
The arms are just like those that mount on the SC lift arms, with the added SC eye and bail mounting hardware. Does anyone have one like it? The 24" spade was used for cherry tree transplanting.

Sponsored Links

Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 10:23pm
Brad - man is that a big auger, if it was longer you dig some holes big enough bury a body....LOL!  Mike

Edited by Skyhighballoon(MO) - 03 Jun 2010 at 10:38pm
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
Michael Crowe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 10:41pm
Mike, I have an identical unit with a 12" auger.  They were made by Roper for AC.
The 14th Annual Exclusive AC Swap Meet will be held in Boonville, MO, March 7-8, 2025. See the club website for details: http://www.moacclub.com/
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 5:54am
Must have been a project to dig the unit out of that barn! Nice find.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 6:04am
If you tried dropping that bit into the ground here in CT, I would bet the tractor would get spun around some quick!, Nice piece.
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 6:39am
Nice Roper digger!

That has to be the biggest auger I have ever seen on one.

I should post a picture of the smallest I have seen, a 6 inch one on mine.

Edited by GlenninPA - 04 Jun 2010 at 6:41am
JCSinPITTS,PA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCSinPITTS,PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 7:22am
I got one last year off of craiglist but it is missing the 1/2 of the pto that snaps on the tractor so i never got to use it, also looking for a manuel, do they really work??? mine has the remains of a handle that someone was suppose to hold I guess to help steady it.
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 7:32am
Nice find. That sucker will make a hole!! If you are planting cherry trees, bet it does the job.
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 7:34am
JC - the handle is used to line up the auger for a straight hole when it is lifted.
Bob(W-Md) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob(W-Md) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 7:48am
This is the one I have.Yes it does work well.The one you have with the short auger probably would only make about 10 revolutions to get to the its depth for a tree planting in the right soil. Nice Find
JCSinPITTS,PA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCSinPITTS,PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 10:19am
you handle looks really nice and the unit looks nice painted!!!,  hopefully after i get 1/2 of pto and drill some holes to know off rust i can paint mine, what for gear oil does it take?
Good View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 10:42am
My Roper just hooks to the arms not snap coupler it stays pretty strait just back up a little when almost all the way down.You have to get on the tractor from the front though.
Steve(SEMN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve(SEMN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 10:42am
Bob's handle is not a roper handle. It is appears to be off a NO. 10 posthole digger.
The Roper handle is a pipe with two holes in it and bolted to the gear box. I have a roper PHD and a No. 10 PHD.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 11:45am
We liked the Danhuser (?) when we sold them and at that time they did have an adapter to mount it on Allis Chalmers tractors.  Take a good look at that auger.  We mounted a Danhuser on a (don't laugh ) B tractor with that size auger. 
The customer was an orchard man and was using it to plant a new section of peach orchard.  It worked fine but needless to say it had a ton of weights - sandbags and the like - on the front axle to hold it down and pull it out of the ground. 
Great Find.  Especially a snap coupler post hole digger.  They have to be scarce.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
rossinmich View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinmich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 3:23pm

Did you by chance get that off craigslist from a guy up in benzie?

BILLP-SE-MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BILLP-SE-MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 6:18pm
Great find Brad. We used an auger that size that to plant a bunch of trees a work .It was on are 3000 ford. I think we planted about 150 to 200 trees. It sure beats using a shovel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic