This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off color information

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off color information
    Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 8:40pm
Ladies and Gentlemen,  My son has obtained a John Deere 70 lawn tractor.  It is a tractor his cousin used on his place and he always LOVED to sit on it.   They sold the house and he was delighted to get it.  He has had it running and it has been housed inside all the time.
Steve is looking for the best place to purchase replacement parts.   I know John Deere is still in business and guess they would have parts available.  Anybody else??  Sometimes you all know exactly where to go.
Thanks in advance.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Sponsored Links

Josh(NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh(NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 10:45pm
Bill I have had good luck with Allis and farmall parts I have ordered from Steiner. Hope this helps.

http://www.steinertractor.com

Also thanks for all your contribution to the forum, your experiences shared here have helped make the forum a great place to hang out.
Allis Express
'65 190XT, 37 B, '72 170, '83 8030, and the IH 560 was a mistake
Josh(NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh(NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 10:50pm
Sorry I missed that it is a lawn tractor, that makes things a lot tougher.
Allis Express
'65 190XT, 37 B, '72 170, '83 8030, and the IH 560 was a mistake
alleyyooper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alleyyooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 7:35am
Lots of places to buy lawn and garden tractor parts even for the green ones.
Just use Google. Jacks small engines has parts as does parts tree.
http://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts/a21b314d1133528/Model-70-John-Deere-Replacement-Part-Lawn-Mower-Parts

Made 1970 - 1974

Engine 7HP Tecumseh 245cc 1-cyl gasoline

70 serial number list.
1970: 25001
1971: 35001
1972: 45001
1973: 50001
1974: 56001
Final: 58292

Al
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 9:21am
That motor will probably be the tuff part. I had a Bolens with a 12 hp Tecumseh that I ended up giving up on because I couldn't get parts to fix it. That one will require some serious Google time or maybe a repower if it is bad enough.   
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 4:38pm
Granted it was a cousins, but jeeze Bill......... Can't he get a "B" to cut grass with? LOL
I expect that he will have to spend some computer time searching for the parts he will need.  Not a hard thing, just takes a lot of time.
Good Luck ole Buddy!
Ted J
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Tcmtech View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tcmtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 4:46pm
I picked up a JD 112 garden tractor earlier this summer that needed some basic fixing.  

Surprisingly there are a lot of online markets that carry parts for those older units so I suspect that your 70 fits into a similar popularity niche so you may very well have the majority of the parts availble as good used ore OEM replica available.   Ours did even with 10 HP cast iron Tecumseh engine with the odd ball two brush starter!   Head gasket and starter brush kit was less than $50 to get it running.  Cool
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 7:03pm
I have a '68 JD 112. Its Tecumseh threw the rod. JD had rod and oversized piston and rings for a rebuild. I don't know if the crankshaft survived and the block needed boring because the cylinder was barrel shaped. I found a recoil starter Briggs from the store in Kansas City delivered for less than the parts from Deere. I had to drill a couple new mounting holes and make a shaft adapter for the pulley. I can't put the grill or hood back on but it mowed for several years. I kept the remains of the Tecumseh in case it wants to be restored to the original.

10 hp on the shallow 47" deck didn't mow the 1.5+ acres at the new place very well, My dad's old 30" Snapper Comet mowed better, and my Snapper 250Z with 20 hp on a 42" deck does pretty good though sometimes I spend more time under it than on it.

Gerald J.
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 7:07pm
I think that little garden tractor came out with a Kohler motor Bill....
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 8:05pm
Gentlemen,  Thank you all so much for your information.  
I know my son will be delighted with the input.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
alleyyooper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alleyyooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 3:59am
Went to tractor data dot come and they list the engine as a 7hp Tecumseh.

A good replacement engine would be a HF 212cc 6.5 hp engine.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engines/65-hp-212cc-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-69730.html

Real life they are probably closer to 8hp.

Al

Edited by alleyyooper - 23 Oct 2016 at 4:01am
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 5:56am
mytractor forum has a bunch of JD guys that can probably help you out also if you send me a PM I'll give you the name/number of a friend of mine near me that has a huge JD L&G collection and a bunch of parts L&G tractors.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic