This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

help me as I am clueless

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help me as I am clueless
    Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 9:05am
What would be the biggest width of a mower deck that allis produced, and which models would they be found on?

I'd like to search for one and need to know what I'm looking for.

Are there any specific things to watch out for other than the obvious?

Oh, and it has to be a hydro transmission.

Edited by Les Royer - 14 Oct 2016 at 9:07am
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Sponsored Links

den/southern illinoi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 9:28am
I think that 5 foot is the largest on lawn or garden tractors.  May be bigger on like the 5020s and up...do not know.
My 720s have the 5 ft deck and they are hydro.  The one other that I know of is the AGCO Allis 2025 which has a 5 ft deck and is hydro.
Hope the helps.   Den

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 11:12am
 5 foot would be perfect. That's what I'm running now. I'd like to wean off these green machines as I've had it up to here with the repair costs to keep them running.

The ideal tractor would be something comparable to this 445 deere. 5 foot deck, foot pedal hydrostat, and this 1992-1997 model, which is a V twin, 22 hp, throttle body injection, and water cooled, can be bought for around 3 grand with 750 hours.

The wife hate the other tractor which has a hydro lever you have to run with your hand rather than your foot.

Does that narrow it down?

Edited by Les Royer - 14 Oct 2016 at 11:13am
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 12:13pm
I don't think Allis had a foot operated hydro  60" mower.

Edited by BrianC - 14 Oct 2016 at 12:14pm
den/southern illinoi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 2:05pm
I agree with Brian...ACs were hand lever operated. The AGCO Allis 2025
is foot operated. It has 2 petals...larger one for forward, small one for reverse. It also has a cruse control lever for a constant speed and you do not have to keep a foot on a petal.

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 2:06pm
I was afraid of that. What would the closest hand operated hydro tractor be then. Did they make any fuel injected, water cooled motors. Has to be a gas tractor cause I don't want to keep two 300 gallon barrels of fuel around here. They have to bring a minimum of 250 gallons. But maybe they would consider diesel and gas combined, but I don't know if farm service usually carries both on the same truck. That, I don't know. If they do, then a diesel machine would be ok. 
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 4:22pm
What do you use them for, mowing only, how much mowing? What are you mowing, just fields or also around the house. Wife going to use it, do you want power steering?
Some of you current green machines would have power steering I assume. They are garden tractors and could be had with 3pt. You still want that class of machine, or just a mower?  Depending on usage, maybe 15 gallons of diesel would last all season.

I think the only water cooled gas now selling is the 2cyl Kawasaki, used in the JD x700's and the Simplicity Legacy XL. Previously, Kubota had a gas 3 cylinder and also JD with the 322. (318=Onan, 322=3cyl gas, 332=3cyl diesel). I could be a little wrong and don't know if the 3 cyl gas made it to the 400 line.
The water cooled 2cyl Kawasaki is quiet vs diesels.

Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 7:07pm
Them morons down at the green dealer has a policy that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. So when the plastic teeth all came apart on the camshaft gear on that kawasaki V twin, and they replaced the camshaft with a steel tooth gear, (no, you couldn't buy just the gear, the gear and shaft is all one piece), They didn't bother replacing the water pump gear, or the oil pump gear with steel ones. No, the plastic ones looked ok. So guess what happened 400 hours later?

No oil pressure

it was a $1,250 repair! Why wouldn't you put those other two $4 pieces on?
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 7:17pm
One other time they had that same 445 V twin in the shop because it was making oil. They had it for 3 weeks. Finally I called them. "Hey! The grass didn't quit growing cause the dang mower left! Whemn am I going to get my tractor back?"

Well, we don't know what wrong with it they said.

"Well I'm coming down there to get me a mower so I can mow my grass. Gimme something out of the used lot."

Well yer gonna have to talk to someone in sales about that.

"Fine, gimme sales."

Well we don't have any used mowers to loan you Les.

"Well what do you use to mow the grounds there at the dealership with?"

Well we gotta shop mower for that.

"Well I'll be down to get that." I wasn't taking no for an answer.

I picked up the mower a week after that with a $1,000 bill against it. And it still did the same thing. Everytime we mowed our 4 acres with it, I had to drain 12 oz. of oil out of it.

2 weeks later I put an $8 head gasket on it and fixed the problem. My mowers haven't been back since.

Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 7:52pm
Use em for nothin but mowing, Brian. Mow 4 acres here. 6 buildings plus rows of aronia. The nurse does 90% of it. I'm not sure, but I think she spends 3 hours at it each time. maybe 4.

The 445 with the V twin kawasaki has a 3 point, and both tractors have front hydraulics, but the've never been used.

I've had the nurse test drive front mount mowers, and zero turns. But she wants her lawn tractor with mid mount deck, so that's what she gets.

Anything so I don't have to do it.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 7:59pm
The plastic gears should have been be replaced. Once it was clear they were a problem, and the steel replacement was available, it should have gotten replaced. But like you say they don't believe in preventative maintenance. So I guess you do not want to head down to that dealer and plunk down S12,000 on the latest X700.

Go to Kubota and get a BX model with 60" mower. It is orange. 6 year power train warranty. 4wd, power steering ,Cat one hitch, 540 pto.  Sell the green garden tractors.

I know everyone thinks these things are over priced, but how much does an outboard motor cost, how about a Harley Davidson motorcycle.  The A/C 620/720 garden tractor cost as much as a small car of its time.

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 8:41pm
I wish you could still buy the 616-620 Allis made. If there was one today it would out work any model out there. Handiest tractor out there bar none! JMHO, Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 10:31pm
  Nothing wrong with used. Tractors I got now wern't bought new.

I see the 616 is 16.5hp and the 620 is 19.5 hp. Same motor. What's the difference?

Edited by Les Royer - 14 Oct 2016 at 10:37pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 6:24am
three.

Jay

OK, so I'm being a smart azz.....
It's a 'numbers game', sellers figure John Q Public will buy 'bigger is better',and pay for it through the nose. Same as all the useless 'bells and whistles' like cup holders, GPS,onstar,TPMS on cars.
There's a reason MTD is still in business. they make a decent rider ,sell for an OK price.Mine's 20+ years old.As long as you CLEAN the deck(once in awhile), check oil(sometimes) and sharpen the blades(2x a season), it's happy and I'm happy.
Sadly I need a starter for my B-112 otherwise I'd use it but my shelf of starters doesn't have one,arrgh.

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
talntedmrgreen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talntedmrgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 8:36am
If you want a 60" Allis, you are stuck with a 616, 620 or 720.  I like them...they mow beautifully and are rather swift.  3pt is very common on these.  The Allis brand went the way of the dinosaur by 85, so anything after that would be a Deutz or AGCO.

Simplicity Legacy tractors (AGCO 2020, 2023 & 2025...also a 2024 diesel version) are the coziest machines out there for foot controlled use and a 60" deck.  They are getting quite cheap, too.  3pt was an option.  Sunstar tractors are also great, but are hand controlled and 3pt is more scarce.  Search on Deutz 1920 and AGCO 1920 models.

I sold this 790hr AGCO 2020 with 60" deck and 60" hydro angle blade for $2500 a few weeks back.  Took a while to fetch even that much.  Sunstar models should be found for at least a grand less.

The 20 horse was available in air or water cooled varieties.  These were offered 1998 through 2004, and then they bumped up to 27hp and the K92 trans through present day.
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 8:47am
http://www.data-cut.com/projects/case/casefc.html

Probably totally impractical for your situation but I soo want to add this foot control to one of my case ingersoll 448 tractors.   I have a 60 inch deck for them as well. I think that is the seen I have seen on a lawn mower. The amount of fuel you are talking I keep wondering what a golf course uses for a mower.

Glad to hear you are starting to wake up to the reality of jd. It is good till it breaks then you cry all they way to the poor house.

Edited by Dan73 - 18 Oct 2016 at 8:48am
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 8:55am
Les maybe you could contact that guy who put the foot control on his case ingersoll he has something like 20 or more in one photo there maybe he would sell the rebuilt one with the foot control. Can't be worse then shipping that vet from NH. Lol
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 6:29am
Les,
I would think you'd be better off buying a used ZT like I did. I've been wanting one for the past few years, and finally sold some of my old stuff and put the money towards a ZT. I bought a low hr. Bad Boy ZT for 3K and love it! Took 2 hrs off my cutting time doing my 3.5 acres of lawn over the tag along finish mower! And that ZT rips across that lawn man! I still keep the finish mower as a backup yet.
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 7:24pm
Steve Les tried a z turn the wife didn't like the joystick controls so he had to go back to an old school mower.
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 5:16am
Les....bring the nurse over here, she can run our new Dixon. my old lady.....oooops....I mean the loving wife loves it!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 2:04am
don't spend to much money on them green things Les....it's gittin to be about time to be workin on a boat for spring time.....uh....locating work! shucks....maybe we outta be starting to build a ice fishing hut real soon too!  
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 7:45am
If she does not like the joy stick have her try the 2 handle ones. To me the zero turn is so much better.
I'm mowing 3 to 4 acres with a 61 in zero turn.  in about the same time that my 917 H 48 in did 1 acre.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 8:27am
well Les....if yer dead set gonna keep them green lawn bumps, then check out one fer sale on big iron auction....it has a cab with lights and a wiper and all kinds of attachments with it. maybe you can use yours for parts machines
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 9:54am
Dale a cab and lights to get in the way while you try to fix it are you crazy or just trying to kill old Les with more things to fix.. LMAO
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 5:19pm
I figgered this one is a running unit, and he could use the others fer parts
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 5:29pm
Well it is running till the nurse gets ahold of it... lol
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 6:56pm
I ain't never been on one of then 2 handle machines. she complained about shoulder pain from having outstretched arms, I guess.

Edited by Les Royer - 02 Dec 2016 at 6:59pm
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 7:00pm
She is a nurse doesn't she know where the advil bottle is?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 12:54am
the handles on my Dixon are close to your body....kind of like resting your hands on the handles.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic