This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another D17 Governor Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another D17 Governor Question
    Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 8:15am
  The weights on my Series 2 D17 governor have packed it in. Agco wants 400.00 for the gear and shaft alone .
  I have a parts WD45 that looks the same-distributor drive etc except for no power steering pump.Can I use the governor parts from the wd 45 on the D17?
   If needs be can the gear be pressed off the shaft?
  After reading the other comments on the subject of governors it looks like the front cover is coming off since I can't find one of the weights that flew off.
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 8:48am
The weights and pins interchange but cant help on the rest.I used to run E combine weights in my WD45.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 9:01am
Sorry to here you lost the governor in the D17, yes you can use the weights from WD45, all the D17"s. the weights from E Gleaner will fit but will not work like the weights your D17 have now. The timing gear from your WD45 will not work without some work on it first, but the gear from all the D17's and E Gleaner will fit and work fine. Please pull the pan and timing cover and find all the weight pieces and look for damage inside the engine before firing her back up. 

Edited by Don(MO) - 01 Oct 2016 at 9:03am
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

BillinAlberta View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 9:14am
   Hi Don I thought that the E Gleaner engine governor was different.Is it just the spring that makes the engine run differently?
    I have been saving an E engine for a few years and the engine on this old girl is tired.If I am that far into it I may as well swap engines.
   Thanks for the kick in the tuucus!

Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 10:04am
I would check with some of the vendors in here I think you can probably save the gear once you get in there and the weights are aluminum and not to expenses.   
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 8:12am
Originally posted by BillinAlberta BillinAlberta wrote:

Hi Don I thought that the E Gleaner engine governor was different.Is it just the spring that makes the engine run differently?
    I have been saving an E engine for a few years and the engine on this old girl is tired.If I am that far into it I may as well swap engines.
   Thanks for the kick in the tuucus!

The weights from the E Gleaner's are different, they are not a full range governor, just high idle control, I'd find a good set or new tractor weights and leave the old E Gleaners on the bench.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 8:24am
The actual governor weight (or body) is the same between the Gleaner "E" and the WC-WC-WD45-D17. The difference is the fulcrum or riser shape. The tractor governor is designed to provide an approximate 300 RPM droop from high idle (1700 RPM) to rated load (1400)speed. At 1400 RPM the carbs throttle plate should be clear open, to provide the needed fuel/air flow to develop rated/advertised engine HP. On a combine engine, the droop is much quicker, and instead of 300 RPM it is about 150 RPM. For nearly 40 years the combine governor weight has always been my choice when overhauling an engine on a D-17. Only one downside....it will use more fuel on some applications, but it's so fun to run, you won't mind.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 5:32pm
Dr Allis do you have the part number for the better governor weights? I am in the middle of rebuilding a d17 and will be replacing the weights because the hole that they pin on with is egging out. The only weights I have found online are at stiners and they list them for both combines and d17 tractors as the same part. I have always liked the quick gov on this d17 and now you have me wondering if someone made this upgrade in the past because everyone even other d17 owners have commented on how fast the gov kicks in on my d17. I would hate to put the slower weights in when I replace it.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 6:27pm
70236562....good luck finding any. They may be obsolete by now.
BillinAlberta View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:56am

Thanks for the advice.Much appreciated.
I am dropping in the whole Gleaner engine.Will the power steering bolt on between
the distributor and governor or is the gear and shaft different?
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:21am
If you use the combine weights in the D17 they will work nice but if you run a sq baler get a bag full of shear pins for the baler. I don't think the shafts are the same the gears are the same, you can tell with the two shafts side by side, I think the D17 power steering pump shaft is different.

Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:24am
Don sounds like I must have the standard d17 weights which are also the ones I seem to be able to find. I do run a square baler with my d17 it is the primary reason I use it and I am up to 9000 bales this summer.   Thanks for the advice I guess I will just stick with the standard d17 weights.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 10:24am
Power steering pump from the D-17 engine will bolt right on the Gleaner E engine BUT, you'll have to set the backlash on the governor to camshaft gear and pin it in place. The bottom bolt hole is 3/8" and the top two are oversized so you can tip the pump in and out for gear lash adjustment.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic