This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6 clutch plate is stuck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6 clutch plate is stuck
    Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 3:35pm
the dry clutches dont release real well without a load on the dozer usually anyway.  i would just start using it and it should get better.  the splines in the drum could also be worn and then they wont release as well either.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Sponsored Links

laitec View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laitec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 3:11pm
I'm not sure what they did to the clutch when they fixed the brake.   Now I'm thinking that maybe they had the machine in a moist area so the clutch plates rusted together.

Anyway to break it free I tried loosening both track clutches and engaging the main clutch.  I figured that maybe I could break loose the LH clutch that way.  Sure enough after driving back and forth a few times it started slipping.  Now when I go forwards the clutch is not driving it enough to move the dozer but when I go backwards I have to put the brake on for the clutch to slip.  The LH Clutch gets warm when I let the main drive run without the dozer moving but I am guessing the plates are just rusty and thats why they are dragging.  What do you think?  Should I let the LH clutch plates drag until they wear so that they slip easier?

It sure helped looking at a diagram to understand how the clutches work before trying to fix it. 
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 6:23am
Let me try again. What exactly do you mean when you say the LH steering clutch is stuck? What did the person who worked on the LH brake do? Was the machine turning correctly before the brake work? Is the fuel tank off your machine?

The brake band support is under the brake band. It is a long 1/2-13 bolt with a lock nut located near the draw bar. The purpose is to support the brake band to reduce band wear caused by the weight of the brake band.

LeonR2013 I still have my headache
laitec View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laitec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 9:04pm
I am looking at the diagram at http://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/HD5HD6STEERINGCLUTCH_wm.pdf and can't find "the screw band supporting under the steering cluch housing".  When you say band do you mean brake band?  What if I just loosen both clutches and try going forward and backwards.  Won't that do the same thing?
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 6:50am
Dang, Dozer have got over your headache yet? Mine still hurts from all the brain work.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 4:18pm
You could loosed the screw band supporting under the stering cluch housing after pull the 2 stering cluch levers angaged the transmission after the master  cluch the stering cluch could turned free and defreeze the discs  togeter
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 12:48pm
Me to.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 8:25am
I thought you were talking about the master clutch.
laitec View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laitec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 4:19am
The page 21 i mentioned is in the service manual but both manuals show the clutch assembly
http://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/AC_HD6_HD11_A_B_E_G_ST_CL_SERVICE.pdf
laitec View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laitec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 3:48am
I am talking about the LH steering clutch.  Now I am confused about the adjustment dozer is talking about because when I referred to the online manual that I just found http://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/HD5HD6STEERINGCLUTCH_wm.pdf on page 21 there is no part listed as an adjustment.
HD6TomNZ View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6TomNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 3:37am
laitec, when I read through this are you talking about the master clutch or the LH steering clutch?
HD6B 19057
laitec View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laitec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 8:34pm
Dozer you make it sound so simple!  I'll take another look and see if I can find the adjuster, pressure plate etc, but it may take a few days. I've got a half dozen projects going at the same time and the weather is cooperating to make hay.  Thanks I'll be back.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 4:07pm
Hey Dave I agree with on the regular old WD40, but I've been pleasantly impressed by the new stuff. Try it, it's only money after all. LOL
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 7:56am
The clutch adjustment is done thru the access hole. Your machine has either a Rockford or Auburn pressure plate. The Rockford has a large threaded ring that is unlocked and rotated to adjust. The Auburn has a caselated ring that is unlocked and rotated to change position on inclined planes (cams)to adjust. The lock is traditionally painted white to identify it. If not paint it for next time. If you clean the pressure plate there may be adjusting instructions and/or identification stamped on the pressure plate.
laitec View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laitec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 8:47pm
  When I move the lever there is a wishbone type yoke that is moving inside the housing.  That must be hooked to the pressure plate I'm guessing. Should I try to apply force to it to help it along?  Also can I loosen the clutch adjustment on the pressure plate by going through the inspection plate? Is there something specific I should look for indicating the adjustment like a spring or a bearing? 
I like the idea of smashing it with a hammer but with my luck I'd break something.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 3:17pm
"You disengaged the clutch by bracing it" It is an over center clutch. Moving the clutch lever forward or backward it should snap into position and be completely engaged or completely disengaged. If it will not snap disengaged then it has come out of adjustment or you have 2 pieces of clutch material where one should be. No amount of spraying with whatever will help. Loosen the clutch adjustment on the pressure plate.

You will not be able to spray the clutch disk. It is covered by the pressure plate as seen from the access hole.

On the bright side
laitec View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laitec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 9:34pm
I depressed the clutch by bracing it this morning and sprayed some more wd 40, but I didn't have time to check it yet to see if it moved at all.  The daylight is going faster these days. 
laitec View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laitec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 9:27pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 5:50pm
Kroil or pb blaster would be much better than wd 40, its pretty useless, IMHO...Thumbs Down
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 5:44pm
Tell us what worked. I always like to find a better way.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 4:35pm
If the clutch engagement feels normal try unadjusting the clutch. Drive it with the clutch disengaged after loosening the clutch adjustment. If that does not work remove the floor plates, drive shaft, and bell housing to get to the pressure plate and clutch disk. On some machines you have to raise the rear of the motor to get at the lower bell housing bolts.

If the clutch engagement feels harder than normal, a piece of the friction material has come loose and combined its thickness with another piece of friction material.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 2:26pm
Unlikely regular WD-40 will accomplish much. Now the new WD-40 is good stuff and could really help by spraying it every day. If you can get to the inspection hole with a 4# hammer and a long punch of some kind and hit the clutch assy. some good hard licks, you can probably break it loose. I've done quite a few this way over the years. If you depress the clutch while doing this it will relax the pressure and let things move better.
laitec View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laitec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 10:21pm
I had some work done on my left brake and now the clutch is stuck.  I opened the inspection plate and I can see the clutch plate is trying to move but it looks like it might be rusted either on the shaft or on the other plate.  Any ideas on how I can free it up without completely disassembling?  My only idea was to spray some wd40 on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic