This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 7020 T-Handle shifter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boiler_bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 7020 T-Handle shifter
    Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 10:52am
I bought an 1978 AC 7020 with 3900 hours yesterday at a farm auction and it is my first AC. This tractor has sat in the barn for a while and it looks good but it has not been used. It starts right up and runs well but I can't get the shifter handle to turn at all. It will go all the way forward and back but won't budge when I go to put it in reverse or another side gear. Does this mean the cables are froze or worse? If they are froze, should I try to break them loose with a pipe wrench on the shifter or do I need to be more gentle. Or do I remove the cables and try to break them loose on the bench or just replace them?

I was able to drive it 4 miles home but it does grind the gears whenever I change gears or speed selector.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 11:06am
I'm no expert, but I'd say new cables. I guess you could mess with these, trying to get them loosened up, then grease them good, but I'd just get new ones. 
Boiler_bull View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boiler_bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 11:08am
It also will not go into park. Does that sound like a cable as well?
Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 11:18am
Get new cables there still available from Agco. You'll have about 250 in the thandle and the park one together. I replaced them on my 7080 shifts like a new one!
When someone tells you Nothings Impossible, Tell them to slam a revolving door
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 12:42pm
There can be more to the "won't shift into park". I bought a used 7045 and spent a few hours freeing up and adjusting and replaced cables. The T handle really works pretty freely when things are set up right and it will stay in adjustment and work good- mine has for 5 years as a hay baling and feeding tractor so lots of shifting. My 7060 had some things ran out adjustment on the range and park shifter and got really bad and we ended up pulling the shift cover for the range section and replacing some pins in the detent and interlock and maybe a shift rail had some wear in it too, but setting up the cables right has allowed it to work great for longer than it did when it was new. I think a lot of these got sold and used out of adjustment then after people figured them out they worked the bugs out of them. They do get wear inside the cables and need replaced.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 4:07pm
Congrats on buying an great AC. I replaced my 7060's range cable which helped the range shift much easier (park,low,high). At the time, I did not replace the gear cable, but should have. Within a few years the gear cable became harder to shift. So I'd replace both at same time.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 8:38pm
Remove platform floor and look for broken linkage. Also remove side panel and check for a problem there.
 While the floor is out, check cable anchor for small cable that pulls shifter to side for park. Check all the linkage be for spending the money for cables you may not need.    MACK
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 7:24am
You mentioned grinding going into gears....You do know the tractor is meant to be completely stopped before shifting anything? There's guys that can do some rolling shifting with lots of practice, but it is not the recommended method.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 7:41am
The Tee handle will only rotate when in neutral, never when the lever is forward or back.
Dmpaul89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmpaul89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 11:05am
in case you didnt know. you must twist the handle it does not work like a regular stick shift. In neutral try rotating it.   Also make sure your fully depressing the clutch which should engage the trans brake to make the gears not spin for less grinding.   Cables must be free as others said
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boiler_bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 1:38pm
I can't get the handle to budge in neutral, maybe 1/16th to each side. So as of right now I only have two usable gears, 2 & 3. It also really grinds the gears when it is stopped and the clutch buried to the floor.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 2:04pm
TWIST THE HANDLE, NOT MOVE IT SIDE TO SIDE !!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boiler_bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 4:01pm
Yep, it won't twist.
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 4:36pm
un hook the cable that is hooked to the twist lever and then see if the handle will twist. som4e of them have ends with a sleeve that can be released to let the socket off of the ball. maybe that will help locate the binding part.
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 6:45pm
Allis should have come up with a better shifter than that...I would just as soon have the shifter between my legs as deal with the constantly wearing out T handle....they dropped the ball on that one IMO
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 7:14pm
But its a fancy chrome shifter handle with the AC TRIANGLE in it ! 
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 7:52pm
Exactly
Dmpaul89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmpaul89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 7:58pm
yeah i dont care for it either.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Jwmac7060 Jwmac7060 wrote:

Allis should have come up with a better shifter than that...I would just as soon have the shifter between my legs as deal with the constantly wearing out T handle....they dropped the ball on that one IMO

I agree
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 10:28pm
if my 7010 is gonna sit (like over winter) I spray panther pee down thru the slots on the console. sure helped with the sticking.
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 10:32pm
I would do that Shamless, but l have never been able to get the panther inside the cab once l catch him.....
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 3:23am
LMAO!!!! IG....you gotta wear gloves!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic