This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slop In Dist Drive?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slop In Dist Drive?
    Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 7:15pm
How much play should there be in the rotor shaft on a D17? I can rotate mine a good 1/4" forward and back. Trying to track down a start up idle problem. Runs like pure crap, loads up like an alcohol burning pulling tractor. Hit about 2/3 throttle something changes, it clears up and she'll run great from that point on. I am thinking the advance is all wonky or something. Any other thoughts?
AaronSEIA
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 8:24pm
It should rotate some, but pop back to original position if the springs on the advance are good, If the bushing is bad, you can rock it side to side without turning it. 
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 8:35pm
once bushing play can cause the points to close, its time for a rebuild.  I'd pull it, and see what the drive gear looks like, too...
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 5:55am
I'll have to double check, but I'm fairly certain that it can be left at whatever position I leave it.  Doesn't return to any one position.  Are there rebuild kits for them, or is it a find what you can kind of deal?
AaronSEIA
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 6:42am
If the weights and springs are bad, you'll probably have to replace the distributor or get Steve at B&B to rebuild it. A few years back I had a broken spring on one. I found a place that supposedly had springs but they won't sell them without putting the distributor on a tester to make sure it's right.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 7:22am
Aaron I sent mine off to Steve at B&B .Now it is the nicest piece on my older D-17 and it never ran better . Steve puts a grease zert on for the shaft and paints them up nice . Quality work at an affordable price .
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 7:55am
My CA ran fine at high idle but would't idle very well.  Finally, one of the governor weights broke.  When my mechanic tore it all apart, there was a lot of slop in the drive.  After the rebuild, it runs great again at all engine speeds.
Sounds like it's time for a governor rebuild.
79fordblake View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 9:20am
I just got a distributor back from Steve yesterday. It was pretty much junk. He made it look like brand new. :)
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 6:09pm
If you can move the rotor side to side .003-.005 thousands, its time to replace the bushings and rebuild the unit. A lot of these units collect rust in the advance weights under the breaker plate. Sometimes as Tuck said, a spring may break adding to the issues of the engine running crappy. As the guys mentioned, we do Distributor rebuilding, so I can help ya out there. And again, Thank You guys for the kind words! I like to keep our Orange family members rollin' with there equipment!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 6:02am
Curiosity got the better of me yesterday.  I pulled the dist to take a look.  Springs are good, but there is a lot of play in just about everything including the drive gear on the shaft.  Not sure I even want to know what all new rotating parts is going to set me back.  If I could trust a used one to be tight, I'd go that route as cash is a pretty short item right now.  Then rebuild it when I get the money.
AaronSEIA

Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 7:30am
How much does it cost to refurbish the average distributor?

AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 3:16pm
I've seen "reman" ones for around $200. Still hunting down prices on the parts I'd need.
AaronSEIA
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic