This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gonna go look at a 655

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gonna go look at a 655
    Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 10:27am
Dale, I thought you were funnin me with jb80, figured you were talking about Jim Beam, 80 proof!  Why would I ever think you were not serious? lol  Looked JB80 up, looks like good stuff, may have to get a can.  Thanks!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Sponsored Links

albatros_3 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albatros_3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 6:14am
I'll have to go look at the plugs on the bottom of mine again. I cannot remember how much clearance there is on the underside. I haven't taken mine out yet, but it's on the to-do list. Since my machine is in a barn, I'm not worried about water getting in there right now.
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 12:04am
justis brothers 80 = JB-80. real good stuff, don't take much of it to work. one can usually lasts me a year and I use it on all kinds of stuff rusted! beats PB blaster/kroil/wd/others by a long shot. wished we would have had it when dad owned his POS green tractor, wouldn't have had to go visit the blue tool man!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 1:52am
Spent some time this afternoon pressure washing down in the middle of the machine.  Don't think it has ever been cleaned out in it's 45 year life!  Not much oil on it, must not leak (it does have oil in the various gear cases).  While trying to flush out the underside of the trans and rearend, discovered a small pto shaft, maybe to run a pump or winch?  The ripper makes it unusable.  Is there room between the final drives and the skid plate to remove the clutch housing drains?  Still a lot of dirt, now mud, down there.  Believe I have evicted the last of the wasps but bought another can of spray just in case!
Haven't found anymore wallets, yet.

Edited by JohnCO - 08 Aug 2016 at 1:53am
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 1:42am
What's JB80?  I think I might know if it is bottled in Kentucky!  In that case it seems like a waste of good stuff...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 3:48pm
try JB80
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albatros_3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 10:56am
I soaked mine with PB blaster and heated with a torch several times to get everything freed up. It worked, but it was a lot of work!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 12:22am
Messed around with it a bit today.  Took the cover off that is under the dash and covers up the hydraulic lines that go across the machine.  Found 11, count um, 11 separate wasp nests.  Neutralized them.  Looked in the left steering clutch/brake hole.  Some rust but not bad.  Wonder if something like Stoddard solvent would free them up without soaking into the bands?
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 12:12pm
I haven't done anything but unload it off the flatbed (straight ahead) and murder numerous wasps who have homesteaded every nook and cranny on the machine.  They must like that AC yellow paint!  I'll try to get things opened up to see what is moving in there.

Oh, Dale, Just wondering if the neighbor of mine stockholder is considered the sane one in the family?
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albatros_3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 10:45am
If you take the clutch housing covers off and you get the plugs out of the bottom, you can power was wash out all the crud ( mine had a lot of brake and clutch related dust) and replace the plugs with one of those expanding rubber plugs you can get at a hardware store. Do you know if the levers are moving the throwout bearing for the clutches? If they are, maybe you just need to bump a tree to break the clutches free.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 10:20am
well....that's a good thing! if you ever meet him and listen to his his way of thinking on things....you'd laugh all night long and into the next week!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 1:02am
Nope
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 12:14am
yep....you got it! have you made friends with him yet?  
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 3:57pm
Thanks Dale!
As long as I don't mention the name of him who must not be mentioned!

Edited by JohnCO - 20 Jul 2016 at 3:57pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 3:14am
yer welcome here anytime John!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 1:02am
Be careful John, be VEEERRY careful... ye never knows what traps he has already set for you and DJ... much less ol' Less. Shocked    LOL

Say John, googled your area with all them water ditches mapquest wouldn't let me get down and swim in the reservoir... Angry  Was an interesting look.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 11:24pm
I just hauled it home this evening.  Couldn't get it to steer at all, had to use the hook lift on my truck to spin it around and get it lined up to load onto the truck bed.
You may be in luck Dale, I'm seriously considering on attending Hutch this year, I also noticed that your part of NE is just about on my route so I may have to see your place!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 9:19pm
good buy!...hope you claimed the wallet and money since it was your machine! lol. I need to come out to your place someday and see your play pen!
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 11:45pm
So you got a new toy...you'll have to keep us up to date on your progress Big smile
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 11:38pm
Yeah, I looked at it Tuesday afternoon.  In pretty good shape although the tracks are probably the weak point.  Still for me to play with on the farm they should last a long time.
It didn't have a battery in it and the brothers who are selling it for their 91 year old dad didn't really want to invest in one.  They had hired a mobile machanic to  check it over and get it running.  He charged them $400 and didn't really do much but drain the fuel and put a battery (his own) in it and got it started.  I didn't want to make another 25 mile trip into the city to look at it again so I went to a a closeby parts store and bought a battery, figuring I could use it elsewhere if I didn't buy it.  They told me to get some starting fluid too as they used it to start it last time.  I didn't think it would be necessary unless the engine was toast but got some anyway as the wasps were everywhere and I find starting fluid isn't healthy for them.  Put the battery in, the engine turned maybe half a rev before firing and running smooth.  Drove ti forward and back, trans and converter work fine, no steering or brakes it has been sitting 15 years.  Made an offer of 25 hundred, got it for $2,700.  Will mess with the clutches and brakes a bit but if they don't start working, will try the diesel fuel trick.  Thanks for the advice albatros.  A side bar,  When the guy was getting the engine started he dropped a wrench below the floor.  One of the brothers got a bent wire and started to fish it out the rear.  Found the wallet of the original owner, had $80 bucks in it plus several credit cards that expired in the 1970's.  Wonder how long the owner looked for that wallet before giving up?
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 7:24pm
Come on John did you like it after looking???????????????
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albatros_3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 2:16pm
That sounds like a good price if the UC is in good shape. I did the steering clutches on my 653 and looking back, I wish I would have plugged the drains in the housing for the clutches and filled them with diesel. Everything was stuck of stiff and took a lot of work to get free.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 11:34pm
There is a 655 on the Denver CL for sale for $3,000.  Talked to the seller today, will look at it tomorrow am.  It's being sold to settle an estate and has been sitting for years.  It does run and moves although the steering needs some work or at least used a bit.  The grill is missing but may be around the yard somewhere.  I'm thinking 3 grand isn't too bad if the rails, etc. are good.  Don't need it much but it would be handy for driving down irrigation ditches to clean out trash before we turn on the water.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic