This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bent hydraulic rod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRAKMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bent hydraulic rod
    Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 9:13am
I took a dump hydraulic cylinder off my 715b in for rebuild an got a quote of $1800 bucks to replace the bent rod.
Anyone have a source for a new rod or new hydraulic cylinder? Reasonable replacement cost suggestions?
I new I should of picked up one of the scraped 715b that crossed Craigslist.
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 3:44pm
I had mine replaced with a new piston made of Aluminum as cast iron one chipped . Total bill was under $200 for the  work, with additional cost of around $75 for new seals , I did find Minnpar was cheaper for new end gland for cylinder than having one made as they had all parts in stock .  cutting off the end eye and turning and threading stock to fit piston is nowhere near $800 job.  
 I have the hyd cylinder off my AC 615 backhoe now on the 715B - it uses a 2" shaft rather than the 1 3/4" on the 715 one . 
I would say look for another shop as that one is way out of line . 
 I will sell you the full AC 615 hoe (detachable mount for HD4) for $2500. but first I need to get the original cylinder back on the 715B 
 Might see what Minnpar gets for new rod for the cylinder . should be less than your quote. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 3:47pm
Are you talking loader cylinders or backhoe cylinders - ???
 check with surplus center to see if they have full set of cylinders to fit loader . Otherwise a price still seems high for any cylinder repair . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 4:56pm
I bent the dump cylinder rods on my HD6G twice. The complete rebuild cost $700 per cylinder. That was 3 years ago.
KRAKMT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRAKMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 5:50pm
This is just the top front end loader cylinder.
Dumps the bucket.
Rod diameter is about 1.638.
Cylinder length is about 40 inches.
Local shop seemed to not want to deal with it.
I will check minn par, might they sell just the rod?
Appreciate the feed back.

Edited by KRAKMT - 25 Jun 2016 at 5:51pm
Josh H View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 6:09pm
you need to find a different shop
KRAKMT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRAKMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 6:22pm
Is there a Case model that interchanges?
I didn't even want to suggest he try to straighten it.
Minnpar quoted me $40 for the seal kit, but I don't have time really to rebuild it myself.
Other side was $350 but looks like it has a bit of rainbow in it.

Edited by KRAKMT - 25 Jun 2016 at 6:57pm
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 7:05pm
We have straightened rods before when a guy was in a hurry. You need to do it a little at a time using a porta power and a heavy table with tee slots for hold downs, a couple Vee blocks and an indicator.
 I made the new rod for the "Build a B" project and the chrome rod was like $20. You have 4 times the length and bigger diameter ??????? Then it took me a couple 3 hours to disassemble the old rod, take measurements and turn and thread the new rod and assemble with new packing. Packing was the cheap part at about $8
 The shop would have charged more for the rod if selling to a customer and labor at that time was over $100 an hour for machine work.
 Go here and buy a replacement cylinder_____ http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 25 Jun 2016 at 7:07pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 8:55pm
My experience in this part of Oz is that getting a new rod made up is standard hydraulic shop procedure and is pretty cheap.

IIRC the price for one for a FA 10 ripper cylinder was around $A350.  The actual rod was OK but the thread for the piston nut was damaged.  I got by with an insert which was less than half that price.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 10:14pm
I've straightened several rods successfully. Just do a little at a time to allow the metal to relax. You want to make sure that it can't fly out of your fixture, or it might wrap around your head.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 11:40am
Have bought shaft for lift cylinder on the HD5G - first one cost me $100 used - then bought full parts machine and had extras now - same with dump cylinders ended up with couple extra somehow but never bent one of them even though they have the odd offset on them   
KRAKMT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRAKMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 10:50pm
Minnpar reports that replacement cylinder rods have been discontinued.
I will keep looking.
K
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 7:48am
If a hydraulic shop is that far out - see if you can find a machine shop who could thread a rod for you and have them order in stock to make one for you . 
 Unless your way out in the sticks there has to be another shop that is cheaper . I have dealt with this outfit on hoses and clutch parts as well as driveline and truck parts - See if they can do it . 
Proctor Location
9355 W. Gate Blvd.
Duluth, MN 55810
Phone: (218) 628-2337

Duluth Location
2929 West Superior Street
Duluth, MN 55806
Phone: (218) 628-2836
Virginia Location
420 Hoover Road South
Virginia, MN 55792
Phone: (218) 741-2980

Gillette Location
5700 Mohan Road
Gillette, WY 82718
Phone: (307) 686-3713
Fargo Location
2710 Third Avenue North
Fargo, ND 58102
Phone: (701) 232-3284

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 01 Jul 2016 at 7:50am
Orange4ever View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 6:43pm
Ac backhoes are notorious for doing this, when you raise the loader with the bucket all the way forward the loader overpowers the tilt cylinder. With the valve in the neutral position, causes the rods to bend. Loader overpowers the cylenders. If the cylenders are not leaking you can straighten them on the machine. Using a portipower, a hard wooden block, you can straighten them back up. They do not have to be absoulutly perfect to work. In the future when you raise the loader open the tilt cylinders so the bypass valves work. You would call it boom up, bucket curl. Rods are easy to replace it's cutting the threads and wielding the eyes on. We have two of these and have done this 3 times, people who do not know how to open the valves or operate the tractor add to it. It's just one of the quirks of these machines. We have had the backhoes since 75'
If you want a man to be a successful farmer, give him a Allis Chalmers tractor. If you want him to be a successful mechanic, give him a John Deere
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 9:26pm
  We have purchased the rod stock and built replacements  for some of our old CAT equipment which we could no longer get parts for. 
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 9:25pm
a buddy bent one on his loader once, we tried to straighten it in a press, spent about 2 hours and really got lucky, he's still using it, and that was about 20 years ago. had to be careful not to mar it, and we used  wood blocks.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 10:42am
http://www.crconline.com
I stumbled across their site a while back when I was looking for some cylinders. I bet they can get you the parts you need to fix the one you have. I ended up buying new cylinders from surplus center myself it was the cheapest solution for my loader.
KRAKMT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRAKMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 1:25pm
We re packed the seals and turned the rod 180 and will see how long it will last.
Hydraulic guys mentioned that it was a pretty small shaft for that long of throw.
I will watch for larger cylinders for replacements.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 2:25pm
I'd have to see it to develop some sort of opinion on how bent is bent....saying you just turned it 180 and using it makes me think not so bad. I've straightened them before too with no issues. And as stated above, they don't have to be perfect to work.
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 9:01pm
I had the shaft on the backhoe extend section bent like a banana and took it to hyd. shop. they put it in a press and slowly began to straighten it. sometimes they will break doing this. mine worked fine. still using it year later no problems.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 9:35pm
As I mentioned above, stop and give the steel time to relax and it's unlikely it will break.
KRAKMT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRAKMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 8:33am
It had about a 1/4 inch of deflection when I laid it on the hydraulic shops table.
New rod was quoted at $500 plus shop time to thread and weld eye.
It matches the other side so probably fine for now.
I need to do lower hydraulic cylinders this month and then kingpins.
Anyone know if minnpar sells kingpin kits?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic