This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis B plow point question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisb48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis B plow point question
    Posted: 16 May 2016 at 5:47pm
Have a plow point that I thought would have a plow bolt through it. Find that it's doesn't have the bolt. It has a threaded stud off the back. It has the plow point number of 308864. Also the point is longer that the one I took off the plow. Any thoughts is this an older point that the one I took off and that is why it's like it is? Or is this a newer point and that bolt is now part of the point? It looks the same otherwise. I have yet to try and mount it up. But measuring it it seems to be a match other than that stud verses plow bolt and length. 
Allis B's 42 & 48
Plows, Mowers, Cultivators for both
Sponsored Links

Albert View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 9:28pm
cut it to length and use it. It sounds like you have a 14 inch plow and your replacement is for 16 inch plow . as for the stud it should be fine.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 9:47pm
AC had eight plow points that interchanged with the 308864. One of the variables was point/share length. The plow bottoms book (link included in the thread AC Plows Parts 101 in the Knowledge Base on this site http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=76502&title=ac-plows-parts-101 ) shows shares described as wide cut, narrow cut, deep suck, normal, made of chilled iron, soft center steel, and solid steel. Your plow bottom is 24 or 124 that takes that share. Some bottoms call the share/point a blade. I wrote a long post on this topic two weeks ago: http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122754&KW=308864+share&PID=1004242&title=in-need-of-a-good-plow-point#1004242

Gerald J.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 11:18pm
What's your email again ill send you pic of book that shows it
allisb48 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisb48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 7:58am
Thanks Gerald, that long post was to my earlier post. I thought by the number that the point was good. But seeing it with the other it clearly was longer. So a question in hopes you have an answer is how would I know if I have a 14 or 16 bottom on a single bottom plow? I know how to measure on a two + bottom and that is generally between the beams but without a second beam how do I tell? It's likely that the B & C didn't have many choices as all of the plows I have are much the same. I like this tractor and plow setup for plowing as it has been very faithful to me. With the point broke now it has set me back on getting my "garden/field work" done. I have three plots that total just over 1 acre and had the plow point break just before I had turned the largest of the plots over. That set me back weeks. I have other plows but they also have bad points as well (other than the left hand plow). 

I had someone else say that I just cut this point down and use it. Just curious what to cut it with. No OXY tanks can I cut it with grinder or other means?

Edited by allisb48 - 17 May 2016 at 7:59am
Allis B's 42 & 48
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 8:31am
If I am understanding your nomenclature correctly you are worried that the attaching point for the hook differs?  I have seen the hooks cast as part of the share. I have seen the stud and I have seen a square hole for a plow bolt. The stud and plow bolt type originally were used with a hook shaped cast piece that attached there.  Lots of them were lost. What I have seen and done is make a short spacer that goes over the bolt or stud and cap it with a washer and nut and drop the hook over that. ALso somewhere in my mess since moving I have several of those cast hooks that fit over the stud or plow bolt but finding one at the moment would be a real challenge.  Dont worry about the share being a bit longer, for what you are doing it is meaningless.

Edited by Butch(OH) - 17 May 2016 at 8:32am
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 10:01am
The 308864 share is a standard width share for a 14" right hand bottom. There were two versions of 24 bottoms, bolted or welded anchor for the share holding bolt that hooks on the share's post. And the 124 took that share also as one of its options.

The way the plow is mounted on the tractor sets the working width of the front bottom or a single bottom. You drive with the inside sidewall of the front and rear tires against the left side of the previous furrow, so the plow cuts a width from the line of the inside sidewalls to the landside and shin face of the plow. A share that is longer on the right than the mold board insures the share cuts roots, important when plowing alfalfa where you want to kill a sturdy crop. Since it sticks into the furrow of the previous pass its not going to harm plowing. A narrow cut share like several that AC offered for the same bottom and the share you broke, guarantees a anchor for the sod being turned over so it really turns over and has less of a tendency to fall back flat and grass side up behind the plow. Sod falling back happens less the faster you pull the plow. I compared an AC at 3.5 mph vs 5.5 mph and at 5.5 mph (4x 18 vs 3x18) the 392 bottoms turned the sod so fast it was being tossed like tossing it from a spading fork and it hit the ground and crumpled, hardly needed disking except in the wet spots.

If the share anchors and doesn't stick out to the left of the moldboard and landside, I think it will work great, but it you decide its too wide you will need an abrasive cut off saw or grinder with a cut off wheel, its too hard to cut with a saw blade, its probably harder than any blade short of a Lenox carbide tipped blade, and probably will survive longer than the carbide tipped blade.

Your original share being described as narrow cut, is definitely shorter than the standard cut of the 308864. And the plow bottoms book shows it was used on both 12 and 14" wide bottoms.

Another way to measure a plow bottom would be the distance perpendicular to the left side of the bottom defined by the shin or moldboard and the landside to the far corner of the plow share. That's the width of the cut its going to make if working alone, but the working width depends on the lateral position when mounted on the tractor as I described above. And that working width depends on what you are plowing to cut roots or have a sod anchor.

Gerald J.
allisb48 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisb48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 1:41pm
Thanks again. Gerald it seems you know your plow stuff. Since we are talking plows I have had another plow question that has me stumped with this plow. As much as I've used it it has never made that crisp side wall in the furrow. It pulls nice and turns over well. I plow in 2nd and 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and turn over a full plows worth of dirt. Good coverage even in corn stubble and cover crops. But that side wall has never been sharp. It always looks like it falls in from behind or something and never is sharp like I've seen other plows do. Is it the nature of the plow or is it the nature of the setup or is it maybe warn out parts leading to this? I think I have the plow in line of draft and it pulls like it ought to so I'm stumped with this. 
Allis B's 42 & 48
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 2:49pm
That is usually controlled by location of coulter.Too narrow will cause bottom to rip land side.You can't set to position of coulter in the"air".It may look like it's right but better check it in the ground moving.They don't trial like you'd think.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 17 May 2016 at 2:51pm
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 4:37pm
As Steve said, too narrow or in other words, too far to the right the furrow will crumble as it will if too shallow. You need it to run an inch or so to the left of the land side and a out one half plow depth.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:07pm
My dad built a garden tractor from shortened drive train of a model A Ford with his own design for a belt clutch and speed reduction about 1951. I held pieces while he welded them together. It pulled a 1 horse plow, I was a little light for plowing until a few years later, but I've been around plows ever since. I have the tractor and its plow. Ought to get it running again.

The coulter helps cut a smooth furrow wall, usually has a couple inches clearance above the front of the share nose and shifted to the left 1/2 or 3/4" by my plow books as I remember them. AC plow coulters are very adjustable, they had to be, they used the same coulter on practically every plow for 40 or 50 years. If the coulter is too close to the moldboard and plow share point it plugs easier with corn stalks.

A rough left furrow face without a coulter could be a hint that the shin of the moldboard is worn so its tearing instead of cutting. I have seen plows with separate shins and the shins worn more than half away. The plow has a natural side thrust to push the landside against that furrow wall to help smooth and pack it.

Besides the one horse plow that can hitch to the tractor my dad built, I have a Case 2x 16 three point that works my MF-135 decently, and an AC 2000 Monoframe 4x18 that worked my 4020 too hard so I changed it to 3x18 and plowed faster and got more work done per day and didn't have to lift the plow to keep the tractor front wheels on the ground.

Gerald J.
allisb48 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisb48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 7:58am
Thanks guys for the help on the furrow wall. I'll have to check the location when I get this plow back in the ground. So I clearly understand I am left of the plow 1/2" to 3/4" and up half the depth. So 10" furrow is 5" for the coulter. I'm not sure where it is now but likely some where near there but before guess I'll get it where it trails in the ground and have a good look. Thanks.

Gerald, thanks to for the story's. Always like to hear stuff like this. 
Allis B's 42 & 48
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic