This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H3 Bulldozer Thoughts and Value

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WIBorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H3 Bulldozer Thoughts and Value
    Posted: 08 May 2016 at 10:26pm
There is a dozer AC H3 for sale at the WisconsinSurplus.com website. Looks to be a smaller dozer, but has Pto. I'm looking for something to clear a bit of brush for food plots. Not familiar with AC dozers so I figured I'd come to this forum to get your thoughts on the machine and what its worth. The online auction ends May 20th, so any quick respond would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 5:07am
parts are getting hard to find if you need any major things like track or other undercarriage. 
 value is whatever you say your willing to pay - not what someone is asking - 
How much use can you get say over a tractor loader that can be moved on the road - where track machine needs hauling . 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 6:10am

Definetly worth more than $985.

They say it runs and drives, but no recent tracks in the grass, and the exhaust is not covered.

Should bring $2,000 and up.

Gary

wildcat2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildcat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 7:44am
One recently sold on auctiontime that ran but reverse was out for $3600. It had the 6 way blade.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 8:55pm
Good little crawler for light work. Stay away from the diesel. Power train is the same as a D-15 farm tractor so parts are available. Under carriage and steering clutches etc may be another issue getting parts. I've had one for 25 years. Value is based completely on condition.

Edited by Calvin Schmidt - 10 May 2016 at 8:57pm
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 9:45pm
Stay away from the diesel?  There is an HD3 for sale near where I live. $3500.00.
Seller says that engine starts but, won't keep running. Big problem $$ to fix? Can't really be fixed? Bad design?
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 1:04am
Doesn't the HD3 have a Detroit diesel?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 5:23am
The HD-3, D-15 diesels are a 175 cu.in. Buda design and are the four cylinder version of the 262 six cylinder found in the D-17 and D-19 tractors. Parts are very hard to find and very few people can do a good rebuild if they can find the parts.  The original HD-3 of the early 1940's was a GM (Detroit) diesel version of the M crawler and only about 28 were built. No similarities to the HD-3 of the 1960's.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
OldSchoolRecovery View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 10:19pm
This dozer is the twin to my auction purchase last year.  I paid $1000 with a stuck motor.  Working on that now.

It has a 160 CI gas motor which is the same as a D15 Mark II farm tractor and the 60 and 600 forklifts.

My only caution so far is the overhaul kit for the motor is $800 more dollars than the smaller 138 and 149 motors of simular style.

But if the motor runs, you don't need to worry about that.

Lot of videos online for the H3.  

I am rebuilding the motor for mine right now and posting pics here in a different post.

cb1
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 11:26am
He indicated that it was a H3 not a HD3 so the scary comments about the diesel engine are irrelevant. I had a H3 loader/backhoe many decades ago and it was very handy unit. 
Jack of all trades, master of none
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 6:50pm
Sold for $3550.00.  For thoughs that were keeping track..

Old
Hyperpack View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyperpack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 7:58am
I stopped to look at this dozer, it has 1100 hrs on the meter which I think may be correct.
Track pins and bushings need to be turned sprockets and idlers are good, rollers questionable they are half sunk in the mud. Shuttle need adjustment in forward, hardly snaps over center. steering clutches and brakes have no feel to them, dont know how it was run like this. Master clutch even feels bad. The rest of the machine seems tight especially the engine. has open exhaust 2 cylinders and gas tank full of water. I spoke with the owner on the phone, claims he ran it last fall. Overall I think it would make a good rig but I assumed it would need major clutch/brake work and free up the engine. It seems like a very high price for it needing this much work. If I had bought it at that price plus 15 percent plus tax expecting it to run and drive as described I would probably blow a gasket. To me it was a 1500 to 2000 dollar machine, I have been burnt by some of these online auction outfits myself with untrue listings and find they really dont care how things are described as long as it says "buying as is" somewhere in the listing.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 5:54pm
CONDITION: Starts, Runs and Drives -- Has Rear PTO -- Recently Replaced Plugs, Wires, Seats -- Needs Steering/Brake Clutches Adjusted or Replaced -- Needs New Battery -- Paint is Chipping, Rust, Scratches, Dings, Dents, Stains, Rips, Wear, Dirty, Etc. -- Inspections Encouraged - SOLD AS IS

Boy, I would be upset if it didnt start right up.  With that open exhaust, you can expect the two center cylinders to be filled with water.

"SOLD AS IS" will get them out of any legal trouble, but wow.

Mine looks better, but was stuck (center two cyl), but only $1000.00.

Good luck to the buyer!

Olc
arichi55 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arichi55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 6:42am
I have one for sale. The whole undercarriage   is rebuilt. Steering clutches and brakes replaced new oil pump and clutch plates. All the work done for you. Could use new bushings on the loader section.
Asking 6800.
arichi55 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arichi55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 6:46am
In addition, used all Berco products on the undercarriage
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 9:35am
these older machines might be great for someone who is a hobbyist but to expect them to work daily - no way .
 for the guy who always wanted a track machine to work on - something to sink money into - good hobby . 
 to expect to buy one now and do work that needs to be done - real gamble . 
what you will sink into a machine - you will never get out again. 
 My HD5G  has ran many hours as I bought it in 1972 and used it in business and personal use up to 2004 - kind of retired now but still works every once in a while . 
 Lot of hours of use and quite a few also doing repairs over the years - but being in business costs were part of business expenses.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic