This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off Color - Renting or Leasing a Used Baler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bauerd44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off Color - Renting or Leasing a Used Baler
    Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 6:34pm

I'm in need of advice.  My baler needs to be replaced but I'm not sure on a "permanent" solution.  A possible "stop-gap" has emerged to get me through the next year or so.

A friend of mine died about 6 years ago and his son asked If I would be interested in renting/leasing his dad's 1995 New Holland 650 with Auto-Wrap. The baler has sat in the shed unused for those 6 years or so.  I looked at it and it seems straight with no missing teeth on the pickup or obvious hydraulic leaks.

I don't know what to offer on a rent/lease and neither does he.  Any ideas on what an arrangement should look like?  Money per bale, cash for the season, or labor/parts to bring it to operating condition?  I would be using it with my tractor.

Missouri Allis-Chalmers Club
CA Allis, 175 Allis, 185 Allis
Sponsored Links

SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 6:45pm
repairs should be the owners responsibility ona lease. and maybe 1/2sies on rent. if you hafta pay for the repairs you just as well better own it!
kev/ont View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kev/ont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 7:21pm
Personnally I'd suggest you buy it and once you decide on a permanant solution, either sell or trade it off. If it has sat for 6 years he obvoiuosly doesnt need it around. That way there is no hard feelings between friends if there is a problem with the machine during the season.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 7:26pm
If it has sat for 6 years without use (Im assuming it was under a shed or something) there will probably be several issues. Rust, dry rotted belts, dry rotted tires, dry grease, the list goes on. I wouldn't agree to doing repairs on a rent/lease. If you can buy it reasonable then buy it. If not , pass
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 8:04pm
OK, I have NO idea what it is worth ... but...
let's say used one, similar shape is worth $10,000..... ( I TOLD you I don't know)

make a deal for 50% up front ( $5,000) and balance 1 year from now MINUS cost of repairs ( say belts, hoses,whatever YOU didn't break using it..but it sat a LONG time !)

This way, BOTH sides get fair value.

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 8:16pm
One other thing to consider, how many bales per year?  That can make a difference, compared to hiring it done maybe better off to own it.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 10:22pm
I would be in the buy it and sell it later camp. Renting it seems like a problem waiting to happen. If he isn't using it and doesn't know the status of it then repairs could be a real issue. We all know old farm equipment needs work and we all know how well you treat it has alot yo do with how much they break. I can understand people saying if you rent it the owner should repair it but I could see the owner thinking if someone didn't abuse it it wouldn't be broken. You could look at it this way if you lease a car you repair the car. Otherwise everyone would lease and let the car companies buy brakes and tires... that is why I don't like to use any equipment I don't own. The repair issues are always trouble.
KY poorboy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY poorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 10:58pm
Those are very good rollers. I pulled a 660 for 10 years and ran thousands of rolls through it. I bought it from a dairy in east Ky that bought it new and used it one year and owner died so they sold the cows. It had sat in an open sided shed for 5 years. I had no problems at all from it sitting. They are very simple balers. The main thing to check on it is the sprockets on the left side. There are several sprockets on that side. If serviced well and the chains are replaced when worn, they will run a long long time. I only had to replace one the whole time I ran that 660.
I would be more for trying to buy the baler. Not sure about your area, but a nice 650 here will only bring 4 to 5,000 now. And it has to be very nice to do that. That is a 4x6 baler, and a 660 is a 5x6. Like I said, very good balers.
KY poorboy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY poorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 11:04pm
If you end up with the baler and the auto wrap doesn't want to cycle, use pent rating oil first and then chain lube on the trip mechanism on the right side. There is a roller in there that will stick sometimes. I figured out the chain lube after a lot of trial and error. Lol. The auto wrap is simple too, just make sure you get the buzz box.
bauerd44 View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bauerd44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 8:46am

Wow, thank you all for your great advice.  I’m probably going to go the rent route with billing the son for any repairs.  We’ve talked to the local NH dealer and they said the same thing about running it slow for a while to check bearings, etc.  We’re only looking at about 200-250 bales for the season. 

The thing is he is trying to get started in farming again, has limited resources, and wants to use his dad’s baler for a couple of years to get started whereas I’m looking at winding down in a couple of years.  Looking for the “win-win” solution and you’ve helped.  Thank you.

Edited by bauerd44 - 01 Apr 2016 at 9:13am
Missouri Allis-Chalmers Club
CA Allis, 175 Allis, 185 Allis
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 10:03am
If he has run it himself previously or not, have him come over and run it initially after you both go thru the maintenance to get it operational again.
No surprises this way as he will be there and running it if something acts up preventing "he said, she said" if it breaks on you alone without him present.
Negotiate sale or rental from there as you will know real quick what shape it is in . . . .
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 10:17am
Imagine renting it at a dollar a bale. That's $250 a year for baler expenses. You couldn't buy a baler and pay for it over 10 years at that rate.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic