This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6G Clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote south ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6G Clutch
    Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 8:41pm
Hi, I am in the process of putting a military 7000 engine in my hd6g! I am almost ready to install the engine in the machine, I installed the clutch and pressure plate last night, I had the pressure plate engaged and I am able to turn the output shaft and the clutch slips! I then adjusted the pressure plate, the clutch still slips. I had the clutch plate relined, should I replace the pressure plate, and does anyone know where to buy one, and what the part number is? My clutch is the auburn clutch. thank you

Sponsored Links

dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 8:46pm
sounds to me like the lining on the clutch is too thin. are you getting the clutch over center and engaged all the way? did it work before you took it apart? the pressure plate would certainly show wear if it were that far gone that you can spin it by hand. General gear has clutches. post pics if you can. good luck
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 8:50pm
Good luck on finding a good used or rebuildable clutch unit! There's a few out there, but few and far between. The part number on the clutch unit (in the clutch world) is CA-3520C. That's for the pressure plate assembly only. The clutch disc part number is a CD-ID-283 and add CB/6 behind that, if it's a ceramic button disc with six pads on it. Hope this helps.   Rick
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 8:53pm
Also, most folks don't know that there were two thicknesses on the material...5/32" and 3/16". Check to see how thick yours is. If you have the 5/32", then you probably need the 3/16" material on the clutch disc.   Rick
south ks View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote south ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 6:59am
Thank you, it did work before I took anything apart! I know the pressure plate does have some wear! I will check to see what the thickness of the clutch plate tonight when I get home!
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 7:06am
If there's wear on both the pressure plate AND the flywheel, which there no doubt is, then it really needs to be rebuilt and have the flywheel turned in order for the clutch disc to work properly. You're not too far away from me really. If interested, I can rebuild the complete unit for you (you can have the flywheel resurfaced somewhere closer to you) and it would be ready to go. PM me here on the forum and I'll get you a price on rebuilding the clutch and pressure plate for you.   Rick
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 2:43pm
Tell us if you have an Auburn or Rockford pressure plate and how thick the clutch disk is. As I understand the situation the motor is not installed yet. As such it is very difficult to engage the clutch by hand because of the large amount of leverage in the clutch linkage. Unless the pressure plate is chewed up or not set up correctly you should be able adjust the pressure plate to engage an extremely thin clutch disk.

south ks View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote south ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 9:34pm
I checked the thickness on my clutch tonight, it measures 5/32". I have also adjusted the auburn clutch, it is tighter but not as tight as it needs to be.
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 12:05am
That's why I said you probably need a 3/16" clutch disc!
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 5:20pm
Take the back plate off your Auburn clutch pressure plate assembly. Note the position of the (2) adjusting ring retaining ring cap screws in the slot in the adjusting ring. If the cap screws are at the extreme tight end of the slot THEN too much material was removed when the pressure plate was refinished. The pressure ring (with the adjusting ramps) is capable of clamping a worn out clutch disk that would be much thinner than 5/32
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 6:02pm
That's true, but if the disc was just relined and you have to adjust the clutch assembly that much to get it to work, then it'll be a short lived clutch. Rick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic