This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

homemade gang mower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NATHAN CAIRNS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: homemade gang mower
    Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 12:31pm
I want a gang mower for my b212 but they are soooooo expensive    $2000 for a gang mower? holy crap     can someone give me some ideas to make one myself    I only need a single or triple pull behind
B212, WD45, B, 912 Hydro
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 2:19pm
a 'gang' of what .... reel mowers or say 3 42" rotary decks with 5hp engines on them?

I see reel gangs all the time in the scrap yards....

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
NATHAN CAIRNS View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NATHAN CAIRNS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 11:19am
reel mowers,   we don't have a junk yard nearby though otherwise that would be where i would go

Edited by NATHAN CAIRNS - 01 Mar 2016 at 11:26am
B212, WD45, B, 912 Hydro
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 12:04pm
If you don't have a mower deck, it would probably be a lot easier if you looked for a tag along finish mower that you can pull behind. I have a Bolen's 4 footer that is powered by a 9HP Briggs. Works great, and cuts nice! I pull it behind JoAnna's B110 or my HT series Honda. Its a tick on the heavy side for the Honda, but it pulls it fine, just the Honda is a bit on the light side compared to the B110, and you know its back there with the Honda. If I hook it to the IB, you don't even know its back there at all! LOL!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Rocket 88 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocket 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 8:43pm
Nathan if you have any golf courses in your area see if they have any retired reel mowers. National reel mowers were a popular brand that I can remember flying around when I took Grandpa golfing.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NATHAN CAIRNS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 12:06pm
ok thanks I do have a golf course in the area but its been closed for about a year. I will look for nationals
B212, WD45, B, 912 Hydro
dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 11:11pm
look up the form for david-bradley tractors an tools. they made a 3 gang reel mower pull type some one may have one out there to sell' mite have some luck with finding one of them' there out there' they work nice.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 8:48am
I use two 21 inch gas powered push type lawn mowers rigged offset to the left rear of my Cub Cadet tractor and deck mower. Several pieces of small angle iron and some plates can rig this in a day. I mow about 80 inch swath. Works good for me. Saves a bunch of time on 3 acres of lawn.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 7:41pm
Good point. Back in the mid 70's my high school shop teacher had a side job mowing lawns. The BIG house lawns and and corporate landscapes and even a nursing home.

Somehow I got sucked into that and was the "walker". Lawnboy push mower. Not like it is now. I bet I put 500 miles on that thing.

At any rate... He had a JD318 and rigged up 2 push mowers, one on each side to drag behind it. Worked good in open areas and was effective. I took up the slack trimming and believe me there was a lot of slack to take up.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NATHAN CAIRNS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 11:57am
ok lol thx   I will look for some    I like the idea of the push mowers behind the tractor but I really want a reel mower, less gas. also I don't have a mower deck for my b212
B212, WD45, B, 912 Hydro
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic