This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD 5 transmission issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD 5 transmission issue
    Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 6:19pm
Hi all, I have a 53 hd 5B crawler that I mainly use for maintain a dirt road with.  Its a fairly steep grade. I came down back wards dragging the blade and once I reached a relatively flat area tried to shift it into what I think was second instead of the usual first to see if i could go back up with out grading a little quicker than usual. It was too getting dark to continue. 

Some how I broke the trans doing this. 

1. I engaged the clutch and it tried to kill the engine. I thought at first I hadnt used enough throttle or I was lugging it with the higher gear choice
2. I tried to go back to 1st gear and discovered the shifter was stuck in this higher gear but would not move 
3. I tried to work it loose with pulling the shifter and clutch at the same time
4. the shifter finally moved free doing this, but I tried to go back into first it wouldnt hit the gate.  Would not go back into reverse either.  
5.  I then came to realize that it was still in a gear in a gear even though the lever was moving like it was in neutral , perhaps several as the machine would not move, but i could see the drive shaft trying to spin , but it just dragged the engine down.
6. fighting with further finally had it drop into a higher gear and it started rolling.
7. it had a sickening click all the way back up , but did get there. 

Sorry for the long post , but I thought detail would save some questions. Any thoughts?  do i have to pull it or is it a common issue with a easy fix?

Sponsored Links

AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 10:29pm
My first guess is that you're stuck in 2 gears at the same time. A pretty common problem when the shifting lever gets worn. If you take the 2 bolts out of each side of the shifting lever you can lift the shift lever out. With a light you can see the shifting bars to see if there are 2 of them together forward or backward, neutral would be all of them together in the middle where the shifting lever would move back and forth (as in the neutral position).If there not all lined up in the neutral position you should be able  to reach in there with a small pry bar and slide them back into the neutral position. If that works you can put the shift lever back in and go back to work. If this turns out to be true and this is the first time this has happened then it will happen more often in the future. You can build up the end of the shifting lever by welding and grinding and fix the problem. There are posts on here that discuss this  Hope this is your problem and this helps
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 1:34pm
Common when parts wear - both the end of the ball and the pivot point wear . 
remove the 2 bolts as above and using long pry move the rails to line up slots .
the cure is to replace the round piece that has the roll pin in it that holds shifter . 
this wears in the yoke and both pin and yoke will be worn - replace pin with larger size metal pin - then inside of the round pipe like piece also wears on the bolts so may need to replace that also - I used a pin of aprox 5/16 diameter - then ground a flat in both sides to keep it locked in place by side bolts which I machined on ends to fit into slots . I can tighten this by shimming the bolts to get clearance in slots to allow fwd and back movement but not side to side - except on the yoke and pin joint.   
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 2:26pm
Here's a link to an earlier post that we all worked on. These pictures should help understand Cokes explanation too.

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69356&title=55-hd5-transmission-question 
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 9:49pm
The others have the shift  linkage covered.But nothing has been said about you noise,coming from transmission. I would drain the transmission and look for bits of gear teeth that could of broken and or bearing pieces.

I was replacing the seal on the input shaft and was advised to replace the bearing since it can be done from the outside along with seal.If this bearing fails the ball drop into the gears and beside damaging gears can spit the case. Not many years latter one of the lower bearings failed, locked the transmission. Witch acted just like it was in 2 gears at once. Tugging back and forth to unhook equipment  being pulled it worked free and were able to pull it to the yard. This was 20+ years ,but I don't remember having to replace any gears just bearings.By the time the shiftier is warn so you can get it locked in 2 gears it maybe time for other work as well.   Hope it is not that bad,but today would be hard to find a transmission case without a whole tractor.
Rainwood View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 11:41pm
Ray, Coke and Mel, thank you ! your advice was sound. 

The shift fork farthest to the right was shoved forward vs the others.  I aligned them up and I have reverse and first .  The shifter seems okay wear, it seems like there should be a metal gate on the floor board that has the shift pattern that is missing on my dozer. 

I still have the nasty metallic banging unfortunately.  Its worse in reverse and it strangely seems to be coming from the clutch area, so I dont know if I wrecked something there while trying to free the gear.  I guess I open the inspection plate and see if I can see anything obvious. 

I think I will follow Rays advice on the oil drain .  Honestly I have no idea when it was last serviced anyway.  Cant hurt to freshen that up. Thank you all.  

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 8:30pm
I had it happen twice where rear output bearing (large double row ball bearing) went bad and the cage holding the balls broke - this allowed the bearing balls to slip together and allowed the pinion gear to drop out of ring gear mesh . seemed worse in reverse .
 Pulling trany and replacing that bearing as it also holds gears in allignment inside the trany was needed . also resetting the clearances on ring and pinion - that led to replacing the side bearings on the ring gear also (timken bearings - cone and cups )
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic