This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slammed Allis "B"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 11:19am
Please post pictures of the Ford when it's done. Will it be painted Boss yellow? Shelby Cobra or GT500 blue white stripes? A wooden steering wheel might be nice. Will the headlights be cut into the grill and covered in clear plastic like the GT40's were? I could see a hood scoop from the early Thunderbird.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 11:49am
just one..it'll go in circles !! lol

bro kept telling me to put the flatheadV8 in the 8N I had......
jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Slammed Allis Slammed Allis wrote:

Originally posted by Unit3 Unit3 wrote:

I have a question about the braces from the bell housing to the front axle. On other tractors, the front end bracing pivot point is in line with the front end pivot point. Yours is not. Is yours spring loaded somehow and I am not seeing it. It appears to me yours would bind up when the front axle have to flex up on one side and down on the other. 

Heim joints are on the ends of the hair pin radius rods to allow the front axle to pivot.

Unit3's question wasn't wether the hairpin rods could pivot, it was that the pivot point of the front axle is LOWER than the pivot point of your radius rods. Since the pivots are not on the same plane, the angle at which the radius rods will swing, is not in the same axis as the axle's articulation path, thus, will bind.

Short answer is that, at this point, it is inconsequential. If you were doing something that required substantial articulation, it might wind up being a concern.

The LONG answer, however, is that the axle pivot and radius rods pivot tolerances are probably not tight enough to pose any substantial restriction for this purpose. When the axle swings up on the right side, it swings down on the left, the result is that the right side radius rod will push the right side of the axle forward. At the same time, the left radius rod pulls back, pulling the front axle rearward, so the axle in effect, bows to the left... and in opposite articulation, swings right.

One could calculate the deflection with simple trig. From a suspension purist standpoint, one could issue concern, but the radius arm pivot needs to be not just coplanar to the axle's articulation path, it needs to be COAXIAL to the axle pivot, in order to swing without imposing deflection. The difference is really an ag-tractor thing- In vehicle suspension, the solid axle sits on springs, not a rigid center pivot, so axle position will move according to radius rod and panhard rods. In a tractor, that pivot is fixed, so it's a bird of totally different feather. From a suspension-purist's standpoint, the classic solid-axle semi-elliptic radius and panhard suspension was far from perfect as well, so it's not like it really matters... it's a hot-rod for Chalmers' Sake...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Slammed Allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slammed Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Gerald J. Gerald J. wrote:

Gonna be pulling with the 8N in reverse? The tires are backwards.

Gerald J.

I don't plan on pulling, those rims and tires are just for mock-up.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slammed Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 9:29pm

Please post pictures of the Ford when it's done. Will it be painted Boss yellow? Shelby Cobra or GT500 blue white stripes? A wooden steering wheel might be nice. Will the headlights be cut into the grill and covered in clear plastic like the GT40's were? I could see a hood scoop from the early Thunderbird.

Not too sure of those types of details yet, I just want it running at this point.

Good suggestions though!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slammed Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

I have a question about the braces from the bell housing to the front axle. On other tractors, the front end bracing pivot point is in line with the front end pivot point. Yours is not. Is yours spring loaded somehow and I am not seeing it. It appears to me yours would bind up when the front axle have to flex up on one side and down on the other. 

Heim joints are on the ends of the hair pin radius rods to allow the front axle to pivot.

Unit3's question wasn't wether the hairpin rods could pivot, it was that the pivot point of the front axle is LOWER than the pivot point of your radius rods. Since the pivots are not on the same plane, the angle at which the radius rods will swing, is not in the same axis as the axle's articulation path, thus, will bind.

Short answer is that, at this point, it is inconsequential. If you were doing something that required substantial articulation, it might wind up being a concern.

The LONG answer, however, is that the axle pivot and radius rods pivot tolerances are probably not tight enough to pose any substantial restriction for this purpose. When the axle swings up on the right side, it swings down on the left, the result is that the right side radius rod will push the right side of the axle forward. At the same time, the left radius rod pulls back, pulling the front axle rearward, so the axle in effect, bows to the left... and in opposite articulation, swings right.

One could calculate the deflection with simple trig. From a suspension purist standpoint, one could issue concern, but the radius arm pivot needs to be not just coplanar to the axle's articulation path, it needs to be COAXIAL to the axle pivot, in order to swing without imposing deflection. The difference is really an ag-tractor thing- In vehicle suspension, the solid axle sits on springs, not a rigid center pivot, so axle position will move according to radius rod and panhard rods. In a tractor, that pivot is fixed, so it's a bird of totally different feather. From a suspension-purist's standpoint, the classic solid-axle semi-elliptic radius and panhard suspension was far from perfect as well, so it's not like it really matters... it's a hot-rod for Chalmers' Sake...

Wow you guys are looking waayyy too far into this,  Functionality went out the window the day I brought it home.  I built this thing for show that will never see a field ever again. 
kinghunter View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kinghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 10:06pm
from someone who has 3 1970's  model show vehicles i just want to say you did a awsome job. some have a hard time understanding a show vehicle. there not for function there for SHOW>. great job and i'm just happy you picked a Allis . 

Edited by kinghunter - 14 Feb 2016 at 10:07pm
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 10:42pm
Hold on now, just because I don't understand how the front end linkages work don't mean much. Lots of things in the Bible I don't understand either, but I still believe in the bigger picture. I love your low rider "B". It ranks up there with the 6080nf, the 8550 repowered with the 844, and a picture of a 220FWA and a 4W220 side by side. Nothing I will ever build will be invited in at a show like this. Plowing, cultivating tall corn, or running a belly mower, your "B" will not be my first choice, but driving to the DQ for some ice cream on warm summer day, oh yah.

I have an arch frame wide front. Seeing your "B" make me wonder if this could be done to a "WC".
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slammed Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 7:38am

Hold on now, just because I don't understand how the front end linkages work don't mean much. Lots of things in the Bible I don't understand either, but I still believe in the bigger picture. I love your low rider "B". It ranks up there with the 6080nf, the 8550 repowered with the 844, and a picture of a 220FWA and a 4W220 side by side. Nothing I will ever build will be invited in at a show like this. Plowing, cultivating tall corn, or running a belly mower, your "B" will not be my first choice, but driving to the DQ for some ice cream on warm summer day, oh yah.

I have an arch frame wide front. Seeing your "B" make me wonder if this could be done to a "WC".

Thanks! Thumbs Up
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slammed Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 6:59pm
So I'm filling out the calendar and need a few suggestions on local shows that would appreciate this build.  I'm about an hour north of Milwaukee WI. 

Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 4:14am
Any show you go to will be appreciative of your efforts. Good build and nice looking unit. God Bless.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Dale East Tn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale East Tn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 2:47pm
The Gathering Of The Orange is in Rochester Indiana June 17-19
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 5:13pm

So I'm filling out the calendar and need a few suggestions on local shows that would appreciate this build.  I'm about an hour north of Milwaukee WI. 

Orange Spectacular, 4th weekend in July
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slammed Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 12:54pm
Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic