This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is this dozer worth?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is this dozer worth?
    Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 8:57pm
Forgive me for my ignorance, but I inherited this old HD 5 or 6 AC dozer.  I say 5 or 6 because someone told me that the badge on it is incorrect. I believe that it is from the 50's.  It runs really strong and seems to be fully functional. It has a winch on the back but the arm is broken off. It has relatively new hydraulic arms, radiator and starter.  I need to sell it, but have no idea what it's worth. Any ideas?  Thanks!
Sponsored Links

ctbowles58 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctbowles58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 10:20pm
I seen a HD5 sell at auction a while back for $750.00, but if it is a HD6 it is worth more .
190XT 2WD45 WF D15 D14 CA BIG10 302 & 303 bailers 77G rake 80R mower 6 plows and alot more
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 11:11pm
Four cylinder engine HD6 a little 2 cylinder Detroit a HD5.A good tractor ether way. Undercarriage is hard to get so the condition of it has a lot to do with price. Any where from 2000 to 6000 depending how long you wish to look at it,and what the buyer sees that they don't like.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 3:21pm
Looks like a HD5B dozer - 2-71 Detroit , depending on year either a 4 speed with 2 reverse or single speed reverse . 
 Seen them from $1500 to $3000 - depending on track and how bad someone wants a machine . Sold my 5B for $2200 but that was 10 years back , bought another one for $800 but needed work . 

Hard to see in picture but if winch on back - could possibly get another $500 to $1000 more or sell it separate for that price as it will fit a HD5 or HD6 .
 Parting it the track is worth $1000 to $1500 if it is good and has not been turned once.

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 12 Nov 2015 at 3:24pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 9:47am
Guess it really depends on how bad you want it gone. If it runs and steers good like you say I would advertise it for 5000 and go from there. If you don't get any calls then lower the price. Just remember you will get some one who will look at your machine ( probably a scrap dealer or salvage yard who will part it out ) tell you all that's wrong with it and offer you $1000 or so which is probably around scrap price for it. You can call your local place that buys metal for a quote. I imagine your machine will weigh around 8 tons. so its best you school your self as to track condition (Feel the pins under the tracks to see if there wore flat on one side ) any welds, oil leaks, etc before you sell it. Location is another factor. Its hard for anyone to tell you what its worth with out seeing it. Good luck on your sell. Norm in cold Missouri today.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 3:10pm
For what it's worth, current market just isn't that strong. The winch is probably worth more than the tractor. I would be surprised you get more than $2500.......but, I've been wrong before. Just my humble opinion
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Tony.Or View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony.Or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 4:22pm
 Where  are  you  located  ??      If  not  to far  i can take a look  at  it.  I had  a nice  HD6 EP        man  what  a machine.   Tony  1-877-602-3994    Near  Stayton. 
vetnut View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 6:57pm
A big thank you all foy your replies.  You are a wealth of information.  I am pretty sure it is the 5 and not the 6.  I have a mechanic coming out to do a repair on another tractor so I will get his opinion on the condition.  I have a guy that will give me $1700 for it, but depending on the mechanics appraisalI may try to list it higher.  I'll let you know how it goes. 

I love the little guy, but can't justify having it sit around.

Scott
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 2:19am
I sold my HD5 without a cage for $2500.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:46am
The year and condition are important. Maybe people in south western New York value heavy equipment highly considering I have bought and sold dozers at higher prices. I sold my HD6G last year for $4,600
The buyer knew it had poor pins and bushings. With the winch and ROP's you should try to get $6,000 It may take a while to find a buyer. The things that bring down the value are FIRST the undercarrage second the final drive third the steering clutches and finally oil leakage. If it starts quickly and turns properly and has good track I would hold out for $6000 Note there are many stories about dozers selling real cheap.

Good Luck
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 2:22pm
well for my 10 cents worth from the bottom of the world
For only 2000 dollars worth I would keep it; so what if if hardly gets used; to me just pushing abit of dirt and smelling it with abit of diesel and oil fumes mixed in is a pretty good relaxing experience And you never know just when a job will turn up where you really do need it.
Once they are gone their gone; and these little treasures are getting harder to find all the time.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
vetnut View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:12pm
If I could I would, but there are other family members, not living on the farm, who want their share of the property value.  If money was no object I would just buy them out, but $$ is a bit short at them moment.
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 5:01pm
We have three HD-5, HD-6 tractors. Price range paid was $3200 for the HD-5 with a nice running 3-71 Detroit conversion engine. Clutches were bad,but we put metallic discs in it and it is a good working tractor. (new AC undercarriage) The  HD-6B we have is a 1956 with a  dozer and great undercarriage. Paid $6000.00 for it on an auction. The HD6E is a farm tractor from Idaho, no dozer, $4000.00. (great undercarriage). Value is dictated by the condition of the undercarriage and the engine. Those items are the most expensive to repair/replace. 
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
vetnut View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 11:17am
A big thanks to all who posted advice and info on this topic.  I had two guys interested in it. One guy was very knowledgeable and already had 3 HD5's.  He was able to show me that the  track shoes (I think that's what their called), were worn very thin and in some spots on 1/4" thick.  He said if they were in good shape he would offer me $3500, but as it sat his top offer was $2000. He had a pair of better quality tracks he would throw on it.

The other guy, who works on our well from time to time, had seen the dozer on our place before and recognized it as the one his family had on their farm whil they were growing up. He wanted it for sentimental reasons and didn't care that they were worn.  He got it for $2001. I'm glad that the little old guy could finish out his life where he started. Thanks again for all the help!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 11:31am
Sounds like it was a good deal for everyone.  At least you can still go visit and know it isn't on its way to China.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic