This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hydrostatic Transmission Fluid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V2Inc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydrostatic Transmission Fluid
    Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 6:58pm
I need some advice from the field concerning fluid for the transmission on my 616.

The manual calls for Allis Fluid 821/401 and of course this isn't on the shelf anymore so I talked to a gentleman at Sandy Lake and he recommended Dextron Type A fluid.  Isn't this GM transmission fluid?  Did Allis chose this for their hydro transmissions?  A little help please, I don't want to mess this up.

Allis Chalmers 616 w/60" Blade, 48" Rotary Tiller & Plow - Cool Man Stuff
Sponsored Links

Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 7:05pm
Dexron A hasn't been made in many years now. If it was me, I'd use IH Hytran.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 7:21pm
most of the aftermarket Hydraulic- Transmission fluids would meet the old 821 spec... Hytrans , Universal tractor fluid, etc are a few.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 7:23pm
most auto transmission fluids contain a  "cleaner" which might not react well with some hydraulic components / rubber / rings. Im not sure Dextron would be a good choice.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Rocket 88 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocket 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 7:41pm
V2
Like Brian said I have used JD Hygard in my 912. A buddy of mine has used his Kubota UTV trans oil in his 900 series and claims it works better. I still have a old car that has the clear dextron oil in a hydramatic transmission it would be cool if they still sold it but now it has to be red dyed.
farmtoybuilder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 3:27pm
Use any brand of the current hydraulic -transmission oil for modern tractors.
5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   
ctbowles58 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctbowles58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 5:04pm
my 712H calls for ATF.
190XT 2WD45 WF D15 D14 CA BIG10 302 & 303 bailers 77G rake 80R mower 6 plows and alot more
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 11:34am
it calls for dex or dexron iii my 616 has it in but we done a 720 a few years ago that had a loader on it so we changed the trans to a power trans. hyd. oil so all his oil is the same .   we are currantly getting mobil brand   in bulk  and our dextron iii in bulk.        it works just fine reason we did not do our 616 to hyd fluid when we got it running was know one new if the trans was any good so we changed the oil and filter and put dex iii back in  by the way the 720 parts tractor had atf in also     i will change mine over to hyd when it gets serviced next         if you are using the equipment in differant tractors you will want  your fluid all the same
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:40am
821 is available from agco.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 12:15pm
Many of the other brands of hydrostatic transmissions call for 10/30 or 20/50 oil , as far as universal trans-hyd oils - read the MIL spec on label if it meets requirements of . 
 ATF has changed over the years also - in my cycles I use ATF type F in primary chain case as the clutch plates get oil mist from chain and the Type F seems to be less cause of clutch slippage with multi-disc clutch.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 2:23pm
Allis-Chalmers Power Fluid 821 is now AGCO Permatran 821XL.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic