This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to Forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BCPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to Forum
    Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 11:01am
Hello all - My name is Paul and I am AC-holic. I have just purchased my first AC, an HD 5, for work around the property. Right now we are using it to move pitrun gravel into the bays of our newly built RV storage facility. I wish I could give you more info on the tractor, but I have to remove the winch to gain access to the S/N. The photos below are the pics the previous owner posted on Kijiji. We have since removed the "cab", as it was way too low for me to get in and out without doing the human pretzel imitation. It seems to run well, supposed to have a "new" rebuild 2-71, starts easy, doesn't smoke too badly.  Not sure if it's as powerful as it's supposed to be, I have not had anything to compare it to. It drips (used to) oil. Actually, it flows out. Got underneath and had a look and the whole of the undercarriage, from the clutch back, was covered with nice, clean, clear oil. My first thought was that I had been had, but it turns out it wasn't so bad. Seems whoever was working on it in the past, neglected to re-install the shift lever guide, and the tranny oil was flowing out of the bolt holes almost as fast as I was pouring it in, not to mention that when it came out the breather, it dripped onto the yoke of the driveshaft, and was flung everywhere. Thanks, meathead. It must have been that way for quite a while, as like I said the whole underside was wet to the point where the dirt was washed off. Anyway, that was yesterday, today we are going to try to get the winch off. The cable is so badly wrapped around the drum it's useless (for now). From there, it's onto the final drives to check them out. But so far, I absolutely love this machine. So  simple to work on.  So, that's it for now.  I'll be back.
Sponsored Links

BCPaul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BCPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 11:48am
http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/uploads/14415/HD_5.jpg
A real beauty.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 12:35pm
The transmission use 5gallons oil 80/90 and if you do't have dip stick on the level
is the drive shaft level
R.KYLE View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.KYLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 8:08pm
GEMDOZER YOU HAVE A GREAT LOT OF KNOWLEDGE ON AC TRACTORS
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 8:48pm
on the side of the transmission is a small plug - that is the fill level .
Check rear case to be sure the 3/4 pipe plug holes (under machine) are open so if any water gets into case it can drain out . 
 Should be a plate on right side of throttle lever with serial number on it also HD5 B 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 8:27am
Rather than removing, I would unspool to winch, besides a handy device when spool the cable correctly it is a functional counterweight.

BCPaul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BCPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 8:34am
Thanks, guys. Got the transmission straightened out, oil is good now. We decided not to remove the winch yet. We don't have any way of protecting the output shaft, so until I fab one up, we will leave the winch on. Bad news time: checked the final drive oil levels, rhs was fine, lhs not showing, pulled the drain plug on the lhs final drive. Lots of metal had settled in the bottom of the housing. There didn't seem to be a lot in the oil itself, so here's hoping that not too much damage for too long of a time occurred.  Flushed it out with a couple of refills. On the first refill more metal came out, but I think it was just the stuff near the hole, but some fair sized flakes. There isn't a lot of sparkle to the oil, so I don't think it is bearing material, more likely a gear/shaft problem. I'm not sure why the oil level would have been so low, as there are no apparent leaks in the drive seals (so far). Unfortunately, we need this machine to work. So we decided to use it and keep an eye on the oil, maybe even flush it daily if need be. We aren't working it hard, maybe an hour/hour and a half a day, for fifteen minutes at a time. If it lasts for six more days, we will be done, if not, oh well, it was broke before.
BCPaul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BCPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 8:38am
Coke -  the plugs are open, thanks though, and the plate on the cowl is long gone.
D - we had the same thought. The cable is hooped. It is unusable and will not come out. Looks like torch time to get it off.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 8:15pm
The lower bearings per say are the ones which get oil from gears - the one that needs oil worst as when it goes bad is the top one for the first reduction - the one at top outside of rear housing - for if that bear fails it is known to break the case (housing) 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 7:35am
There are covers on front right and left side of the final drive housing that you might want to look under. The covers are 1/4 thick with (6) 3/8 bolts. I use a LCD inspection camera to look for potential problems. You might be able to push some extra oil into this area under the cover to keep the machine operating until you have more time.
BCPaul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BCPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 8:29am
Thanks, guys. This is invaluable info. I have the operator's manual, and the parts manual,  but not the service manual (yet). It's ordered and supposed to be on it's way, but who knows how long? Just looking at the arrangement of the bearings, I wondered how the top shaft was lubricated. It seemed to be too high for a "splash" system, and how much splash would these drives create? It's not like they're doing 30mph. Needless to say, both these covers are coming off as soon as it gets light. I'm almost afraid to look, what with the flakes that were in the bottom. As an aside, I left the plugs in the drain holes yesterday, just to get an idea of how much oil I was losing. Of course, the rhs was fine, and there was less than a half of an ounce on the lhs. But, we only worked the machine for maybe two hours. My first thought was how long did this guy run this without checking his levels? Thanks again, fellas, most helpful.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 2:28pm
think id pull the upper and intermediate covers to have a direct look at those bearings directly. They don,t like no oil.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 3:35pm
The HD6 final drive should have 3 gals.oil each
BCPaul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BCPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 7:03am
Good morning, all. Thanks for all who answered here, your help is greatly appreciated. I am going to start a new thread, to continue this discussion under a more appropriate title. See you there. "The Ongoing Saga". 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic