This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD3
    Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 9:13pm
I just bought a HD3...I got it home and fired it up and the right steering clucth must be stuck...what kind of a job is it to fix this?????
Sponsored Links

ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 9:35pm
Cobb, where are you located in Wi?  I have an HD3 also.  Is is stuck so it wants to keep turning?   I'll have to look at my manuals and my crawler tomorrow and see if I can help you out. 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 9:42pm
Stuck as not releasing or as will not drive on that side.
Open case and see if throwout bearing is moving the pressure plate .
Could be disc is bonded by rust ? OR ?
If not driving on that side , might be axel is not engaged into  clutch .

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Cobb View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 9:54pm
I live in Ellsworth ...It dosnt keep turning right ...it wont turn right ... I should say there is no power on the right side ...if I hold both clucthes back and release the right one it does nothing ...if I let the left one go I am on my way....???  I am thinking the right side is just stuck and not engageing???  Any help will be appreciated..
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 6:04am
There is a little clip that keeps the axle engaged in the steering clutch. If that clip comes out, the axle will slide towards the center into the spool and become disengaged form the steering clutch and not drive. Its designed this way so the steering clutch can be removed from the top for service. I think that you will have to take the back cover off to push the axle back into the steering clutch.(It been about 17 years since I did it)
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 7:47am
Another post on here where there were pictures of that problem, H3 and H4 use the same type spring-clip on axel to retain it .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Cobb View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 7:58am

Thanks for the feedback guys... I am heading down to the shop now to look into things...I will be back with my findings..

ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 8:31am
Cobb, here is the link to the other topic about an HD3 steering clutch.  Hope this helps.

Cobb View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 4:07pm
Thanks for the help guys...I went donw to the shop and tried driving it around a while to see if by some miracle it would release or something BUT I still have no power on the right side....From your suggestions it sounds like it is probably that retaining clip...I HOPE...The crawler is in very good condition so I was hoping it was just some  stupid little thing but,, you know how that goes.. Before I start dismantleing I was wondering if the clucth could just be that far out of adjustment( I dont think it has ever been touched) and if so how to go about tightning it up???...
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 6:27pm
No is the quick answer , until you open the cover over the steering clutch to see what is wrong , any ideas are just wishes. If the clip is broken or axle slid into housing it is a quick fix. No adjustments to clutch as far as transmitting power , it works or doesn't .

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 17 Apr 2010 at 6:28pm
Bud(WI) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bud(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 7:15am
I've also seen the spines on the clutch disks stripped off.  
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 11:28am
If you have no power on the right side, driving it, you will be turning in circles to the right. That would indicate snub shaft slid out, clip popped off or broke, stripped splines on the steering clutch discs, bad clutch or stripped pinion and, or bull gear. If driving it and it goes straight, and can't turn to the right, chances are that your steering clutches are frozen up, rusted together. If you can get it to turn left, Left steering clutches are good and rights are stuck. HTH
1961 H3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic