This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving spinouts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyR (MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving spinouts
    Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:10pm
I need to move the wheels in on a WD45 parts tractor I just bought so it will fit between my trailor fenders.  This tractor does not run, so is there a method to move the wheels without power?  I figured I would loosen the locks and jack up one side at a time and try to spin the wheel by hand.  Luckily, the wheels and locks are not rusty at all.
--------------
Roy
Sponsored Links

John (C-IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:13pm
That will work, those wheels spin pretty easy unless they are full of fluid. Steel on steel has a very low coefficient of friction.
Denis in MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis in MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:21pm
I wish you luck, most of the wheels on my WDs and WD45s don't look rusty but I wouldn't try moving them unless I had several hours to invest in it, but I have gotten lucky before. On wheels that are set up I had the best luck taking the rim off the center but if that isn't an option I have also used a steel wood spliting wedge and drove it between the tab on the eccentric bolt and the rim clamp with a sledge hammer. I use a 25/32" socket and breaker bar, I have broke two or three 3/4" sockets before measureing and finding that it was a tapered head.
Hope that helps,
Denis
1938 B, 1945 B, 1941 IB, 1949 C, 2 1938 WCs, 3 1950 WDs, 1951 WD, 2 1955 WD45, 1957 D-14
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:28pm
What I did with mine was use another tractor to pull it in either direction, then use the brakes just as if the tractor was running.  It only works as long as both brakes are working.
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 10:16pm
If the motor is free, I have had luck using the starter with the tractor in gear to move the wheels as necessary.  Take lots of WD-40 or your favorite oil with you, and good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic