This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plow project for WD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 11:31am
Part #s will be on the backside of wear parts if there still legible. Check out the plow bottoms book Gerald mentioned from grandpastractor, it has good pictures of the frog and bottoms that's the best way to determine what bottom is on your plow.
59 D17 gas nf, 66 XT 190, 69 220.
Sponsored Links

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 11:51am
I'm not convinced the drawings in the plow bottoms book are accurate for moldboard identification. They show only one picture on the pages for 321, 322, and 323 which share all parts but the moldboards. And for others. Moldboards came in long and short. As did plow shares (blades, shears) with sometimes half a dozen options for the same bottom and sometimes shared between several bottoms. How the shares are attached is a variable. Whether by three bolts, four bolts (three to the frog one to a strap on the moldboard), or by a post hooked to a strap pulled by a threaded rod and a a hand wheel or a nut.

Moldboards are going to be the hardest to find. For the last decade or so, aftermarket makers have only made parts for 375 and 387 bottoms. I bought bottom parts for my 392 16 years ago from an Allis dealer in north Texas.

For shares, it may be most practical to take the old shares to the farm store and find replacement shares for any plow that are close, then grind the left edge angle to fit and drill new bolt holes in the frog and fourth hole strap. Its not practical to drill new plow bolt holes in the wear parts. And there are half a dozen variations in plow bolts so those sold in the farm store today may not fit the vintage plow parts so be careful with the old bolts. Use Kroil or PB Blaster or a half and half mix of acetone and ATF fluid to break the rust loose, don't cut the old bolts off.

There was only one 70 series plow at Amana yesterday and on it the back sides of the moldboards were painted orange, didn't look like a repaint to me.

Numbers on moldboards tended to be visible from the rear of the plow a couple inches down from the highest part of the mounted moldboard. Shares and other parts may have to be apart to find them and they may be obscured by dirt, paint, and rust.

There were dozens of plow bottoms but only a few plow frames. I'm convinced from the parts books that plow bottoms were sold independently of frames because of different plowing conditions all over the country and different farmer preferences about plow shapes. And I know the different materials in the shares and sometimes moldboards is for different amounts of rocks in different soils.

Gerald J.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 6:21pm
Gerald,
 Well The timing was off a little on the bolt subject!  Oooppps!  So we will see about getting the new ones to work?
I will start to look for part numbers.
I was going to try to use the moldboards.
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 7:27am
Folk,
 After Gerald mentioned saving the plow bolts and I had not done that, I panicked a little! Went out and tried the new bolts and in most places, the new bolts will work in most of the holes. The points that I have now use the clipped bolts rather that the round ones and TSC had some of those.
Also have a email to davetheplowman  to see about parts. Sound like he is the man for components. Will also check local TSC for items.

Here are some exciting plow pictures!:)

Repairs (straightened and welded)

Diss-assembly

This left support has been shortened. Not sure how this helped Jack plow) I know this change was not made when my dad had these plows because he did not have a torch on the farm.

Maybe the toughest area to come apart is the center support assembly.

This is the rear moldboard to land slide support that I need.

plow parts,

Two bottom center assembly comes apart for components to be used on other plow.

This side to side adjustment bracket was a challenge. The ends of the screws were damaged and had to be cut off to get these apart.

This part needed welded and re-tapped.

Good 3 bolt casting from the 2 bottom.

Piles of plow parts and the frogs were stripped to the weldments.

Current status of the 3 bottom frame.

Some pictures of the dirt turning parts. Point

Shin.

Land slide.

Frog (weldment).

Moldboard.

Into clean up mode now.
Hope these pictures help someone!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 23 Jun 2015 at 8:30am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 9:09am
That 2 bottom frame is a 62, the 3 bottom is a 73. The 73 can be assembled for 14 or 16" bottoms, the 62 is fixed at one or the other. Measure the center spacing of the fore and aft bars to learn the bottom widths.

Gerald J.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 10:40am
Gerald,
Width of the 73 frame is set for 14 inch.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 5:55pm
Folks,
Good evening! We are getting rain and possibly high wind gusts.

On the plows. I loaded the frame and 18 other parts and dropped them off at the sand blaster this afternoon. May have those back this week.
Drained and re charged the electrolysis tank. Tried to clean one of the coulters and it just did not want to clean up?
Hope things are good out there in Orange land!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 6:34pm
Folks,
Looked through the plow information and I believe I have 362 plow bottoms.
Never realized there were so many options in plow configurations! WOW!

Regards,
 Chris
BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 9:24pm
That's what is on my model #63 plow but its 16". The guys I mentioned earlier should be able to help you out, good luck. I always enjoy your posts on your projects, lots of pics, very detailed and you end up with a very nice restoration, keep us posted.
59 D17 gas nf, 66 XT 190, 69 220.
Mike Plotner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Plotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 9:28pm
with you working on your plow, you've got me thinking of restoring my great grandpas old 3 bottom!
2001 Gleaner R42, 1978 7060, 1977 7000, 1966 190 XT, 1966 D-17 Series IV and 1952 WD and more keep my farm running!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 6:29am
Nice work again as Usual Chris!  I've got a couple of 63's to redo one of these days.  They are on the back burner for now though.  TOO many projects and #1 is getting the pole barn done...  Good Luck, Ted
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 8:33am
Originally posted by BPM75 BPM75 wrote:

That's what is on my model #63 plow but its 16". The guys I mentioned earlier should be able to help you out, good luck. I always enjoy your posts on your projects, lots of pics, very detailed and you end up with a very nice restoration, keep us posted.

BPM75,
Dave is getting me prices on plow parts. Thanks for the lead.
I go over on pictures sometimes.
Need a picture of your 63 plows too!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Mike Plotner Mike Plotner wrote:

with you working on your plow, you've got me thinking of restoring my great grandpas old 3 bottom!

Mike,
Post some pictures of your family plows. That would be a good restoration project too. Always surprised how many parts there are to these projects! I just ordered three of the smaller AC decals for the back of the plow moldboards. These are coming via Sandy Lake Implement.
Davetheplowman may have the rear adjustment strut that I am missing.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Nice work again as Usual Chris!  I've got a couple of 63's to redo one of these days.  They are on the back burner for now though.  TOO many projects and #1 is getting the pole barn done...  Good Luck, Ted

Ted,
Can you send some of that pole barn ambition my way? I need something like that too, for all this farm machinery, I am accumulating! I think your working on the right thing. I have the cart in front of the horse. Lots of things and nowhere to put them!
Maybe post some pictures as you progress on the building.
Regards,
 Chris
In. Fred View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In. Fred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 9:56am
In. Fred View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In. Fred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 9:59am
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 11:47am
Looks to nice to use.
Tom
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 8:58pm
In. Fred,
Now aern't those sexy! Wow they sure do look great! How long ago did you do them?  They look awesome! What paint did you use for the working side of the plows? Looks black? And where did you find the decals? Do you have pictures as you did the restorartion? Would love to see them too.
Regards,
 Chris
In. Fred View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In. Fred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 4:56pm
Chris, thanks for the complement on the plow. I finished it up a year ago, in time to take to the fair, and the LaPorte show. Took me 6 or 7 months to finish up because I don't have a heated shop, and winter set in. I use NAPA cross/fire acrylic enamel #53D50843. It maybe a little lite in orange for PO#1, but I liked it. I know that that is expensive paint for a plow, but I was practicing for doing my WD 45, which I in the process of doing now. The black paint on the face of the moldboards, is just plain ole Rustolem black. The decals I had made at a local sign vendor, other than the A-C decals came from Maple-Hunter. FYI on the repaint, if there was a nut and bolt, they came apart, everything cleaned, painted and put back together. Have fun, I did. Fred
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 9:22am
Fred,
 And Folks,
I did not think about Maple Hunter for the decals. Good suggestion.
The sandblast shop called yesterday afternoon. All the 19 parts were done. Picked them up at 3:30 and had them primered and finished coated by 7:00. Good thing I did, as the rains have set in! I did not take out every nut and bolt on these plows. Just a clean up, repair broken parts, get all systems for adjustment working, and paint!
The PO#1 was still just a tad tacky at 8:30 last night, but should be pretty well hardened up now with the rain on it:)
Will try to get some pictures as I re-assemble these three bottom plows.
I was thinking silver for the moldboards, shins, and points? I painted the coulters silver. They look OK, Silver just doesn't lay down and blend nice.
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 8:05am
Folks,
Hope to get back at this plow project today after being on vacation for a week.
Many parts to clean prime and paint as usual on these type of projects. Have the costs of the new components for the plows working parts. We will see.
Hope things are good out there. I need to go for a tractor ride!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 6:46am
Folks,
FYI I found one number on the back of each moldboard after sand blasting. It was #5.
Some pictures:
Before blasting.

moldboards, (back)

parts.

Plow frame and frogs.

Pile of points, shins and landslides.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 7:27am
Folks some shots of the three bottom 14's.

Orange wind chimes.

Furrow roll over extensions installed.

Coulters in position.

Beaming structure in place.

Since I had it from the other plow, I decided to use the vertical adjuster on the left side of the plow also. This would typically be a fixed length link. Both the fixed links I had had been shortened by my Uncle So I am not sure of the actual correct length.
He may have bee plowing shallow to compensate for the hard ground or the lack of WD power?

Paint touch up, sway chains, decals, plus a trial fit on the tractor today.

Regards,
 Chris

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 8:27am
It does take more power to plow deep and some crops need it, while some don't and a lot depends on the soil. The big problem with moldboard plowing is that in some soils having lots of clay, the bottoms of the plow shares make a packed layer called hardpan that restricts root growth down and also water infiltration. On the farm where I rented a house for 40 years I could see shallow sways that would ponds after every big rain. When the tenant switched to chisel from moldboard plowing the ponds quit holding water. The chisel had broken up the plowpan.

Gerald J.
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 2:49pm
Well Sugarmaker, now you need a restored subsoiler to break up that dastardly hardpan! At least that's the excuse I'm going with......
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 8:17am
Folks,
 Some pictures of the model 73 plows and the WD tractor.

Granddaughter Addison helped me install the decals.

May not be as from factory but will dress it up a little.

First hook up. Had to set the pump controls to get lift.

The distance from the inside of the right rear tire to the cutting edge of the shin is about 18 inches. So If I was to actually plow the wheels might have to be set in 4

Thanks to Addi ( she's 5) for taking the picture of Papa and one of his toys.

Thanks for following WD type the plow rebuild!

I think its ready for the local AC show next week but not sure how I am going to load it?:)

Regards,
 Chris

R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 9:48am
You do good work, Chris! The plow looks great!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 7:42pm
Chris, I LOVE that chit eatin grin in that picture!!  You sure do nice work!!
I have some pics of the pole barn up to now, so I'll try to get them off my phone and onto here tomorrow for you.
I have TOO MUCH CATCHING UP to get anything done today.  And it's almost already bed time...  Another hour...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 9:12pm
Thanks guys!
The plow was more work than I thought.
If I get his tractor to the show I will take some pictures.
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 9:02am
Folks,
 Bringing this to the top for MD to get some ideas on his plow restoration work.
I need to learn how to post a link to the thread.
I did not put a lot of dollars into these three bottoms since I robbed the parts off the 2 bottoms. But I have plowed the garden several times, plowed 10 plus acres with the D17, plowed a wood lot plot for the daughter and used them to break in the rebuilt WD45 engine. I guess it was worth it. Doesn't seem like its been 5 years!
Wont be long till the garden needs plowed this spring. May use the WD45 for it this time.
Hope things are good in orange land! Mike hope this may help a little too.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 23 Mar 2020 at 9:08am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic