This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

keystone turbos,gas,any used one

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve fischer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: keystone turbos,gas,any used one
    Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 8:43pm
found an ad on bolt on turbos for gas tractors from keystone turbo,they have a kit for many different tractors,allis one fits wc wd wd45 d17,looks great,has any one have tried one yet, www.keystoneturbolic.com
Sponsored Links

NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 10:07pm
Could not get that link to work, but this one does for me:

http://www.keystoneturbollc.com/

I wonder how my stock 36 WC would handle this?  Make it a parts machine?  LOL

Edited by NDBirdman - 13 Apr 2015 at 10:13pm
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
VFDfireman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VFDfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 12:24pm
Seems to imply that the existing carb on a wd45 would be used....I didnt think it could handle much more air without running lean.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 7:12am
You can't get much with blowing through a carburetor. Not only is that a problem of explosive gas mixture leaking at the throttle shaft. The floats will collapse at anything much over atmospheric pressure. It can be made to work, but a lot of things need to be done to eliminate the inherent problems.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 7:20am
Blow through can work but not the best set up for a lot a reasons, a couple of them already stated. I had a belt drive Paxton blow through set up for a couple years on a street car. After fighting all the pressurizing problems I ended up building a pressure box to house the entire carb and although it worked it would have been better all around to move the carb in front of the blower. 
steve fischer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve fischer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 8:04am
sorry but this one does not blow or pressure the bowl, the turbo is after the carb,the part i was asking thinking about is all the fuel and air go through the turbo,fuel injection cars with turbo inject fuel with injectors after the turbo and only boost the air,will you get a dripping off of the turbo when putting the gas in it like water does on a diesel
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 8:35am
Oh OK I succumbed to laziness and didn't check the link.
What you describe is called fuel fall out and yes you have reason for concern. Problems with it are more troublesome when there are long paths for the mixture to follow. Cooler weather and part throttle operations are when it will be most prevalent. Even it the system is sealed and it doesn't leak out somewhere fuel will  puddle up. This causes a lean condition until you throttle up and then it will be stinking rich until the puddle drs dry up.  Down draft carburetors and turbo up above the intake along with everything being as short as possible all help the situation. 
I have seen a lot of write ups on the Keystone turbos and you can read anything from the cats meow to pure junk. I suppose that depends on what the buyer expected of it and to be truthful a lot of idiots buy speed parts. Wink
One thing for certain if your tractor is barely getting by on 87 pump gas  adding a turbo will cause you to be burning mid grade or premium and maybe backing down the timing. If I was considering a kit I would also be thinking about dropping the compression ratio a bit, then you can add some usfull boost and HP without getting into premium fuels. 
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 8:37am
Funny: as I read the website, it's highlighted that "The carburetor and exhaust stay in their original location" That would have the turbo blowing through the carburetor.

Edited by PaulB - 15 Apr 2015 at 8:38am
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 9:29am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Funny: as I read the website, it's highlighted that "The carburetor and exhaust stay in their original location" That would have the turbo blowing through the carburetor.
well if u look at the link you can clearly see that it doesn't. Even know it's in the same location the new manifold is routed differently putting the carb in front of the turbo.
45 turboa- View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 45 turboa- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 6:55pm
I have a turbo on my WD45 works great! I built a manifold that looks like the one keystone makes.I've had the turbo on it for about 5 years I use the 45 all the time with no trouble.There is a video on youtube pulling a 4 bottom plow .
turbocharged
BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by 45 turboa- 45 turboa- wrote:

I have a turbo on my WD45 works great! I built a manifold that looks like the one keystone makes.I've had the turbo on it for about 5 years I use the 45 all the time with no trouble.There is a video on youtube pulling a 4 bottom plow .

I've seen your video on there definitely gives the 45 a different sound, and seems to run good.
59 D17 gas nf, 66 XT 190, 69 220.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic