This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Project, D Grader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silveroddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Project, D Grader
    Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 9:39pm
Her there,
Picked up a little Allis D grader over the weekend. I'd kind of had my eye on them for awhile and this one came up with some options I was looking for. Its S/N is in the 4000's, its got hydraulic tilt steering, the hydraulic circle rotation, and after market power assist steering. Needs some odds and ends but nothing that can't be overcome.
The biggest thing I need to find is a replacement orbit motor for the circle rotation. I'm doubting and OEM one is going to be available, but I'd think a generic motor wouldn't be impossible to find and adapt.
Does anyone have any idea how I'd go about looking up some general specs to size one?
Looking like it will be a fun project to mess around with
Here's a picture

Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 5:45am
Look up the specs of the hydraulic system, and then see if you can match up an orbit motor over at surpluscenter.com.  Sometimes they have the damndest stuff over there...
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 11:36am
Nice looking D grader. It doesn't look as if it ever got used much. The special model with all the options. Does it have the serial number plate? If you have the serial number I can tell you the model year. The belt driven pump plus standard threaded pipe fittings to some of the cylinders tells me that the system it not a high pressure hydraulic system so a hydraulic motor that required high pressure would not work that well. From the blow up in my parts book they look like a basic gear hydraulic pump but working in reverse. There doesn't seem to be much to them. Have you considered trying to repair the existing unit?
Jack of all trades, master of none
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 7:06am
Nice looking D, I don't know where you are at in MN but there are a few good hyd. shops around (I live by Grand Rapids) Rapids Hyd. could help either rebuild yours or get a replacement I think.  One key fack would be the size (gpm) of your pump.
Silveroddo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silveroddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 7:28pm
Hey Don, Thanks. It needs some TLC but it seems to be solid enough. The S/N is d-4834
DiyDave, thanks for the tip, I'll have to check that out
I talked to a guy who has worked on these older rigs quite a bit and he had said from his experience the parts are getting difficult to find and by the time you mess around with rebuilding and orbit motor you could of bought a new one off the shelf. I need to do some trouble shooting though and make sure its not a pressure issue.
B26240, I'm only about an hour from Grand Rapids, I'll have to look those guys up
Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 6:37am
S/N 4834 makes it a 56 model. Yours looks in pretty good shape. They are fun to operate and they'll do a lot of work. Great ditch cleaning machine.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 11:57am
That hydraulic motor is not an orbit motor. It a gear type the same as a gear type hydraulic pump. It has two gears, a couple of 'O' rings, a couple of gaskets, a couple of wear plates and a seal assembly on the output shaft. Engine parts are easy to find but transmission/axle parts would be hard to find.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 12:00pm
I forgot to add that on another site I found out that the small grader that Galion made used the same trans/axle as the D grader so it may have been made by Clark or some other supplier.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic