This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

onan flywheel question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: onan flywheel question
    Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 12:26am
I will post pictures tomorrow but i had to source a replacement flywheel for my 616.  The ccka parts engine I had with the bad flywheel has an aluminum fly wheel with the magnets secured by screws.  The replacement I was sent is steel/iron with glued in magnets.  Any ideas which would be correct?  It's going on a cckb engine running the charging system from the ccka.

Thanks!
David
Sponsored Links

macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 8:56am
I have a cckb in my 620.  It has the cast iron flywheel with glued in magnets.  Glue let loose on one magnet in mine while running, and took out stator wires, and broke some timing cover mounts.  Has cost me lots of $, and still not charging, so probably would be a good idea to make sure glue is good before mounting.
coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 9:02am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 9:02am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 9:30am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 9:31am
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 10:49am
Dave,
On my 620 w/CCKB engine, my flywheel is cast with the glued in Magnets also. I had a Kohler Command engine at work loose one of those glued in Magnetics on the Kohler flywheel and it did quite a bit of damage like what happened with macvette. I don't trust that glued in stuff even though my flywheel Magnetics are nice n' tight right now. Especially whens its 30+ years old to!...
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 10:50am
mesure the i.d. of the magents and see if they will fit over the stator the i.d. is probley have to the same to charge  lay it down and measure the hight of the ring gear  ot see if it is going to be inthe right place  the   heaveyier flywheel will make alot more torque you will have to bolt it on nd start it on the bench to see if it vibrates i dont know  how the two wheels or cranks are balanced i would tryi it my self  
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 11:22pm
here are pictures of the stator sitting in each fly wheel

cast iron fly wheel

aluminum

rectifier on pan
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 6:06pm
to bad it wouldnt change over what happened to the end of the crank
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 11:17am
crank was that way when I bought it don't know if it was done for balancing or what purpose

any thoughts on which fly wheel that stator belongs in?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 6:25am
Dave,
I have the cast flywheel. I can put a ruler across my stator to give you and idea of how it should fit. I'll do it tonight when I git home from work...
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:50am
awesome thanks Steve
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 5:32am
Dave,
My Stator measures just a fuzz under 5 1/2". Fits just snug in the flywheel. Here's a pic:
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 7:18am
Gotcha thanks
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 10:12am
steve is that stator new and do you have the part number for it? the one cummins gave me is a fuzz big. Also do you have a dial caliper you. Oulu measure the inside of the fly wheel?

Edited by coggonobrien - 21 Feb 2015 at 3:03pm
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 10:50am
Steve, how many wires are coming out of your stator lead, 2 or 3?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic