This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD16 - info please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 11:30am
Thanks everyone for helpful replies.  The pitted rams cleaned up ok - no torn seals yet.  I got the blade lift cylinder's hoses replaced & one valve fitting.  It lifted the blade nicely after all those fixes.  It has the optional blade tilt cylinder on the left side.  It works good too.

My brother showed up to load & transport it home with his semi.  We had to add 5 gal hyd oil to torque convertor to get it to crawl right.  Turning it was a challenge as it's left/right hand clutches would only operate if I first pushed accompanying foot brake.  I got it loaded onto his detach trailer, but felt like I needed two more hands to operate everything.  

Its home now.  My brother told my wife,  "He'll never be the same from now on.  He's got a dozer now and that changes everything."   He's right.  This dozer needs tlc, but its just so dang fun to operate.  I enjoy working on it also. When it's running, the sound of its engine is captivating.   My daughter & her friend sat on it and I started it up for them. They had the same expression about how its sounds..  I hope I can get it operational enough to do some real dirt or tree pushing.

Im working on getting some photos attached, but my phone's pics are being a PITA.
Sponsored Links

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 11:49am

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 5:18pm
Mactractor

Re crankshafts

There is a little nest of Allis dozers around here - HD16 and earlier HD21's and I doubt that any have 25000 type engines. But crank cracking is a common problem mentioned.

One owner tried about 4 cranks (including one with a tested tag) before he got a useable one for a HD16DP.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 4:56am
Any idea how many hours those engines clocked up before the cranks went bad?
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 5:20am
Mac

Not really, but I'd guess plenty.

My neighbour is away on an "expedition" but I'll quiz him when he gets back.

He owns what might be a contender for the best working HD16DP in Oz. He is meticulous and has been through it from blade cutting edge to ripper boots.

But the paint job is like your observation on the HD 15 thread earlier.

BTW Know anything on Pacace rippers? - he hasn't found much
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 7:31pm
Here is a pic of the pitted ram after I emery clothed it.

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 7:36pm
This photo shows the HD16 running & its blade fully lifted after the front blade cylinders were cleaned up with emery cloth, 2 cylinder hoses replaced, front hydraulic fittings repaired, & 15 gallons of hydraulic fluid added. 
Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 8:27pm
I'd say you are ready to rock and roll my friend.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 11:12pm
That track has too much sag.That'll wear em too.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 6:27pm
These machines have a commanding presence when they run. You don't have to make many "pushes" before you feel productive for the rest of the day.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 7:24pm

Running the 11EP on a still morning, the combustion bark emitted from the short bit of straight tubing atop the turbo, has brought old time skinners from two or three miles further down my valley up to take a look

ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 4:14pm
Any chance you could get some video of it running/working?
There isn't much at all in the way of vids online of the mighty HD-16. I think I've watched the 3 that I could find a hundred times. LOL
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 5:22pm
This one of them?  [TUBE]http://youtu.be/lujnXD8609M[/TUBE]
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 6:27am
Yes DiyDave, mine sounds just like that - thanks for sharing the video.
It's throttle response is impressive & always brings a smile to people within hearing distance.  That low base tone of either high or low idle is there all the time :) 
LANSDOWNE View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANSDOWNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 9:00am
I have lots of early HD16 parts 1959-1966, let me know what you need.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 12:51pm
I know this post is back in 2015 buy couldn't resist saying, I just purchased a 1961 HD16DC.

Should be delivered this Friday. Geeked
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 12:53pm
Hello LANSDOWNE.

Scrolling through the forum and saw you old message that you had at that time a lot of old HD16 parts. Is that still the case?

Not sure what I will be needed but taking possession of a 1961 HD16DC this Friday. Curious what kind of parts you might still have.

Thank you.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 6:34pm
Don't be looking to hard for a answer,Lansdowne has not visited since July 2015. Need to learn to check the profile by clicking on user name. 
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 7:10am
Post up some pics of your new acquisition. Smile
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 8:02am
I sure will. I have some already from my initial inspection but cannot get them posted. Telling me the file is too big when I am only trying to post one pic as an example. Any suggestions as to what i am doing wrong will be greatly appreciated.

meeting halter to load her up tomorrow and get her home.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 8:07am
use paint and resize the pictures to 800x600.  seems to work the best here that i have found.  then upload to file manager.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 8:49am
Will give it a whirl and thank you
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 10:14am
I resize mine as to pixel count, usually divide by four to get small enough to load into site.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic