This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Old beater Ford SD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2024 at 3:55pm
Last barge of month loaded yesterday, will be building stockpiles back up after rains calm back again.
So today, a day with the wife, Grocer, a breakfast stop and a quick tour of a few goings on have been watching.  Then finished cleanoff of Left fender, is currently curing two part epoxy primer., R Fender scuffed for the paint attempt tomorrow as well the R Rr cab corner.  Will mask it again in morning.  IF all goes well and paint does not lift, will be applying Clear to those mid afternoon.  Otherwise may end up towed to body shop and leave them do their magic, at a price.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 4:29pm

Feeling a LOAD better today.  After speaking with a PP rep and the guys here at the Body Shop that supplied my materials, for the last few days been hacking at the Left fender clearing off all the Crazed Paint, yesterday got that complete and sealed it back up with an epoxy primer.  Today I set to fixing the Lifted areas on Rt Fender the Cab Corner and repaint the Left Fender.  Used NO Reducer, per the PPG Rep.  Straight Paint thru my HVLP Gun, Same for clear once color was back on, NO reducing agents.

What went wrong was I have NO paint Booth, the materials are designed such that they are Used INSIDE a Controlled Climate Booth, Fixed Temp, Semi Fixed Humidity and Constant Filtered Airflow.  Same issue had painting the KW.

Today's results.  
Cab Corner

Left Fender

right fender Hood line edge repaint

Edited by DMiller - 02 Jun 2024 at 4:31pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 4:34pm
As soon as had the Second coat of Clear on

Allowed to Sit for an Hour, applied Third Clear WET Coat, pulled wrappings.    No Lifts, No separations, just DONE!!!  Corner is Artificially Bright as the Lighting I was using to actually SEE the work being laid down!!

Now can get back to Cut and Buff.

Edited by DMiller - 02 Jun 2024 at 4:38pm
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 4:36pm
It's good to see you're back on track.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 5:20pm
Looks great... never heard the " no reducer" story before ....... ???

i know they use slow, medium and fast evaporating reduces for various outside temps..

Edited by steve(ill) - 02 Jun 2024 at 5:22pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 5:49pm
The rep noted the Solvent paints formulas today differ from even ten years ago, most shops still have booths even for large trucks so can get away with Medium to slow Reducers.  Open Shops, Barns or sheds as I have are NOT conducive to paint work by his acclaim, even trying to limit dust or floating debris is about useless in my setting.

Showed him the paint Pops, he knew right off, Solvent Pop, noted with paint I received to Over Spray a repair area on fresh lain material(Under 2 months), NO reducer unless over 85 degrees otherwise the paint itself would flash far too fast.  Not having painted more than a few Lacquer jobs in the 70s then IMRON in the late 70s/80s into more enamel bases in the 90s, and this my first contacts with a HVLP for the KW and this I am completely out of touch.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 2:31pm
Worked all week, back at the pickup today EARLY.

Managed to Blend Buff RRr Corner then hung RRr door, adjusted on doors and installed latch works and hardware, BUNCHES of bump or scratch touchups ALL morning as nicked or caught a edge with pieces.  Had to run to town and get new hood prop cylinders, the Originals FINALLY said had enough.  Tomorrow more sand and buff spots, then install front door glass and operators, finish installing door speakers then Lower door panels the little pieces of Door splash seals on door bottoms and the between door seals and mirrors.  IF feel good of it may sand and buff on front fenders ready those to go on along with front bumper.

Still have seats to clean, floor covering to install and all the inside trim panels in back.  And as yet not ordered rear glass and the sealant for the Rear Side glasses.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 6:16pm
Spent the morning cleaning, Seats, old Carpet assembly, as the new floor mat is Not Worthy to go in.  May use it for something else but is just tacky.  Did assemble all the front door hardware, windows and operators, speakers, mirrors.  Got a little more cut and buff completed until shoulder said WHOA.  Carpet is down, started adding trim panels in front section.  Rearranged shop to situate the fenders on a pallet on sawhorses to cut and buff, easier on me!!.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 hours 43 minutes ago at 3:43pm
Entire last post disappeared, Started OVER!!

Last week a bust, Wife's Birthday and our 38th anniversary, Dinner yesterday at White Mule Rosebud MO.

Today back at truck, seats in, Fenders buffed as far as could tolerate on sawhorses, installed those where will go back sand and buff rough spots all around.
Added photo of Carpet Cleaning for last post.

Have had to order a bunch of small schtuff missed on previous inspects, small install grommets for T/S being some of that.  Fenders are mounted, need to massage those into better align next round.  Glass will get ordered for rear window tomorrow, may have install done as off next Monday for Doc day.

Edited by DMiller - 18 hours 34 minutes ago at 3:52pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 31 minutes ago at 3:55am
Was inspecting the replacement cab step boards, mounts will cover the tear drop and small rectangle holes at three of the four locations against birds and mice just not for wasps and mud dobbers.  Thinking will install the Aluminum tape I have and use for welding over those holes, maybe even cut up an old inner tube as a backing insulator.  Need to keep the vermin out and there is a fourth hole that I will need come up with some kind of covering.

Small round and ovals can use commercial plugs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic