This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

plowing with snap coupler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shane w masters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: plowing with snap coupler
    Posted: 25 May 2016 at 11:31am
I was wondering it a wd45 would hold its own against a 44 massey harris and a 40 cockshutt. Te massey and the cockshutt are pulling JD 3/14 pull type plows and the 45allis is using an allis plow. Or did I brag too much on my allis chalmers? the ground is hilly.
Sponsored Links

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 12:06pm
A good running WD45 pulling 3/14" SC plow will out do them hands down if it's set right!
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 12:12pm
Several "musts".....good rear tires (not 50% or bald)... must have full fluid or 900 lbs of cast iron weights on rear wheels....Traction Booster must be working correctly and operated correctly.....engine must be in good tune and producing 43 PTO HP......an AC snap-coupler plow that is adjusted to work right and pull easy. There is no doubt in my mind that it will run with and probably out do your Competition BUT, the tractor is 60 years old and if you don't have all these things right, you might not look so good.
shane w masters View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shane w masters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 12:25pm
Dr allis the tractor tires are 50% it is weighted the engine and tracor were restored by Robertson Imp (local allis dealer) the tractor dynos at 70 hp it does have a wide front. the 44 and the 40 are fifty give or take
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 2:08pm
In the end, where I come from, the tractor must weigh 4500 lbs minimum to perform well on a plow in tough going and hills. Now, you know your soils better than I do, but those tractors came from the factory with fluid in the rear tires and they pretty much weighed 4500 lbs.
VFDfireman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VFDfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by shane w masters shane w masters wrote:

Dr allis the tractor tires are 50% it is weighted the engine and tracor were restored by Robertson Imp (local allis dealer) the tractor dynos at 70 hp it does have a wide front. the 44 and the 40 are fifty give or take

A 70hp wd45?

Definitely not stock engine.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 2:43pm
70Hp sounds like someone had a special dyno. I'll agree with Doc. My 45 with new 16.9-28 tires, no fluid or weights had lots of traction issues. I've got 3 Allis weights on each side now and 4 up front and it does decent. If I throw a dual on the land side, I never have any traction issues. I think the extra 500lbs from the dual makes a bigger difference than actually having the tire.
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 2:49pm
You will hold your own as far as acres plowed per gallon of fuel consumed is concerned. There was a day when that was a big deal. Today, not so much it seems.
Longmeadow Farm View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longmeadow Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 3:35pm
Started farming with a 1956 WD-45 and 3x14 SC plow. That old girl toyed with the SC plow which when adjusted per the manual.. pulled easily and worked well. It's important that your WD-45's traction booster is working OK and you have loaded tires and rear wheel weights. I remember those late fall early evening times when that exhaust stack was glowing and a faint hint of fire was visible at the top of the stack. That was many years ago..but I still remember how that little tractor could work. If you set the WD & plow up correctly.. the WD Should have no problem beating the competition. if you don't.. you'll wind up buying the drinks...
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 9:35pm
I used a WD with a SC 3X14 for several years. It did have full fluid in the tires and 2 wheel weights on each rear and A set of B side weights mounted on the front. Worked well.
Auntwayne View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auntwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 9:40pm
     Finally bought a 4/14 sc plow because the 3/14 we had been using on the WD 45 was being pulled as if it was not even there ( Illinois black fertile and hard as rock clay hills). Loaded rear 16.9 s and no weight/ non loaded fronts. Pulls as advertised .
Dad always said," If you have one boy, you have a man. If you have two boys, you have two boys". "ALLIS EXPRESS"
alleyyooper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alleyyooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 7:31am
Good thing the Allis has a modified engine, other wise you let your alligator mouth over load your mocking bird butt.

I've ran a stock WD 45 with 3 14s and it made that old girl grunt and if ya ran into a good red clay hill you were down to a crawl.

We have a pulling club and all tractors are dynode to 4th place.
In the 4500 pound class you see Farmall M's Jd A with power blocks and Massey 44's 444's but no WD45's cause they can't get the job done in stock form.    

Yes we had a couple wd's on the farm and a wd45 even.

Al
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 7:46am
I too have spent hundreds of hrs on a stock WD-45 gasser, and know their capabilities (or not). A four bottom plow would never have worked in our soils. Ours had no wheel weights of any kind, but full fluid in the rear with a WF end. We did pull a 3 x 16's 70 series plow and it was really a handful in alfalfa sod. The point here is this: that WD-45 with the MOUNTED A-C plow combined with a working Traction Booster system, makes that tractor look very good as compared to the other models hooked to a pull-type plow. The A-C plow is 5 or 6 feet closer to the tractor and the tractor gets the weight transfer advantage of it.I know a neighbor who had both a Farmall "M" and a WD-45, who told me 30 years ago, when it came to plowing, that WD-45 (mounted plow)would do as much per day as the "M" and use less fuel doing it.
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 10:21am
70 HP should be enough to pull 5 bottoms. Just hook her up and go for it. :)
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by DougS DougS wrote:

70 HP should be enough to pull 5 bottoms. Just hook her up and go for it. :)

Um...OK, I'd have to see that set up and the land it's plowing to buy that!

Plowing up the garden used for the last 40 years doesn't count!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 1:18pm
On the OT, one thing for sure, is the guys pulling the JD plows have a disadvantage. JD plows are notorious hard pullers. I know, I've been pulling the dang things for years.

As with all plowing topics: A plow ain't a plow, a tractor ain't a tractor, soil ain't soil, and terrain ain't terrain. Best you can do is stay along some recommendations, go from there, because you will not know until you sink it into the ground.
45 turboa- View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 45 turboa- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 5:13pm
I pull 4 -16s semi mounted snap coupler plow behind my 45 that I turboed on nice going but I plowed with my 3-16s on tough going in clay couldn't keep the frontend on the ground with 300 lbs up front that when I wish I had a 2 bottom.
turbocharged
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 10:30pm
our  irrigated ground a wd 45 is a two plow tractor  three on the dry land
LaJaMe View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaJaMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 11:13pm
Growing up, my dad loved the job 2-16s did behind our 45, but 1 uncle pulled 3-14s with his and the other uncle pulled 4-16s.  The one with 4-16s had 17 pistons in his 45 along with double weights on  rear, 3 front weights, and loader brackets with a platform  holding half of 55 gal barrels filled with rocks.  Quite the monster and it did the job for a lot of years.  The 45 is still around today as it has been restored by the family for shows.
Auntwayne View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auntwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 10:08pm
       PM me Alleyopp, I will get you back to plowing properly. Duane
Dad always said," If you have one boy, you have a man. If you have two boys, you have two boys". "ALLIS EXPRESS"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic