This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any tricks for joining baler twine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any tricks for joining baler twine?
    Posted: 24 May 2016 at 7:33pm
Do any of you crafty old farmers have a good way to join the old roll of square baler twine to the new roll? I always seem to get a broken bale when the twine rolls switch over. My knots are either too big and plug up the knotters or if I try to make them smaller then it doesn't hold. Either way, broken bale. Any tricks to remedy this?
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Sponsored Links

norm[ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm[ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 7:47pm
  we tird a square knot in the 50s- new holland
Luke R. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 7:47pm
Square knot, pull tight, trim tails, never fails
4-7030's,170G,220FWA,3-220's,210,D21II,D21I industrial,2-200's,3-190's,175D,2-D19D's,D19G,WD45,WD,CA,2-UCont.,5015FWA,917,B110,Gleaner F
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 7:49pm
Square knot then when you have it tied roll it between your hands to make it smaller. Someone in here told me that last summer makes a big difference I still have trouble from time to time but alot better luck then before I started doing that.
KY poorboy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY poorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 8:05pm
X2 on the square knot and trim the tails close. Then rub it between your hands some on a square baler, I don't have trouble with just a trimmed square knot on a roller. A square knot is the only knot that I have ever found that will hold. But you will still occasionally have one not tie on a square baler.

By the way,,, I like that,,,"crafty old farmers". LMAO

Edited by KY poorboy - 24 May 2016 at 8:07pm
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 8:08pm
baling knot

This is what we use and we have no problems with twine bale changes. We do it a bit neater but you get the idea.

Edited by Stan R - 24 May 2016 at 8:26pm
Pete from IL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete from IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 8:41pm
A square knot. Also look at your needles. If the twine has  wore  down into the needle with a narrow slot the knots will not be able to go through. Use a die grinder with a 5/16 or 3/8 grinding tip on it and open up the narrow slot. Or new needles.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 8:46pm
wow...Stan...I've never seen a knot done like that....maybe i'll hafta try that!
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Stan R Stan R wrote:

baling knot

This is what we use and we have no problems with twine bale changes. We do it a bit neater but you get the idea.

I use a square knot as well but this is pretty interesting
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 9:03pm
When she pulled that overhand knot plus ends run together, it turned into a square knot with a thin second overhand knot making a thin square knot.

What worked for me most of the time was a standard square knot, then I rolled the knot between the palms of my hands with a rolling axis that of the two pieces of twine until there was hardly a lump at the knot location. That went through worn guides and needles as good as the bare twine on my MF-12 baler. I did have to replace worn ceramic guides once in the decade or so that I used it.

Gerald J.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 10:00pm
The knot tied in that video was not neat and clean...
 I was taught how to make those knots when I wasn't big enough yet to move a bale of hay from the old 76 New Holland baler chute... Well they were about a hundred pounds and if baling on big windrows so you weren't moving to fast and dumping them on the ground, about 2/3 of the bales would stand on their ends.
 As for the knot, she didn't 'fluff' the ends real good, and she did not pass the ends through very far and then you roll the section between your fingers and then clamp your thumb and index on the rolled section and hold the it tight then with you little finger pressing the twin to your hand, pull the other end and work that knot tight and it will be a clean splice, not all fryed like hers looked in the vid. 

Then some where along the way I learned another type of knot that works good too, and it is basically a square knot but you pass the end that sticks forward back down through the knot, but not so far as to go under the leading loop and pull that tight and roll it between your fingers and pull again  and the following tails don't bother a bit. and no trimming involved.

As for the wear in the twine guides, the porcelin insulators, I have turned them to get smooth surface again.
 As for the needles that have worn slots, they can be filed to open the groove up, but best to use some good rod and weld and peen till the slot is filled. and don't weld them up in one pass, weld, chip, and peen and then let it cool... you can switch to the other needle and work that one and then go back to the first and do it again.  Don't weld more than 3 seconds at a time.

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 4:49am
Originally posted by Stan R Stan R wrote:

baling knot

Been tying that one for years.  Yes, I like to tie it neater, too.  I like about 3/4" ends meshed into each other, roll them back and forth, before pulling the knot tight.  The knot will pass through insulators and the knotter, no problems...
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 8:47am
square knot only on a 14t or 214t JD
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 2:57pm
If your needles have slots worn in them braze the slots so that all you have is around hole in the needle.

Longmeadow Farm View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longmeadow Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 3:38pm
square knot.. when my baler started having trouble.. I had to dig a little but discovered my hired hands actually didn't know how to tie a square knot. Come to find out, neither of them was a boy scout either.  
steelwheelAcjim View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 7:33pm
My Dad used to tie a square knot, then pound the knot with a hammer on a block of wood.  It flattened it enough so it wouldn't get caught on the billhook in the knotter. It worked every time. 
Pre-WW2 A-C tractors on steel wheels...because I'm too cheap to buy tires!
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 8:22pm

Had an Amish guy show me a way that works good for me it is a square knot with the first twist of the knot the right side string goes left to right over the left string the second twist of the knot the left string goes over the right string so it makes the two twists of the knot opposite of each other always works for me.
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 9:09pm
In a proper square knot each line and its tail are adjacent. Yes they twist in opposite directions. In a granny knot that is considerably weaker, they are not adjacent.

Square knot.

Granny knot.

Gerald J.

Edited by Gerald J. - 25 May 2016 at 9:18pm
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 9:24pm
Holy cow, lots of good info about knots. I'll try 'em out until I find one that works for me. Thanks for all the info.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 10:21pm

YES,,,,!!!!this is a great subject bout knots,, The knot I would like to learn is not so much a knot but a way of looping the end of a rope around a pipe that will not slip and actually gets tighter as you pull on it,,,,??
On the twine,,,I don't know if it would work,,but in my years in the oil fields, there were some folks that knew how to splice two ends of steel cable by unraveling each end bout a foot and then rewinding both ends together in a certain way and the finished product was no bigger around than either end before but the splice was just as strong as the original. Most of those dudes guarded their craft with a vengeance,,,anybody here seen that,,??
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 10:02am
A bowline knot is strong to loop around a pipe or to make a loop in the end of a rope then run the free end of the rope around the pipe and through the loop and pull it tight. The standard knot for lifesaving operations. I used it to make and end loop on baler twine for retying bales with broken twine.

A clove hitch is another good pipe connection.

Then there's a more secure clove hitch plus two half hitches.

I recall the clove hitch plus a half hitch or two was the recommended tie for a boat line to a dock post when I took the course on small boat seamanship when I was in grade school.

The Boy scout guide book on knots was encyclopedic back then and probably still is.

Gerald J.

Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 12:11pm
http://howtowilderness.com/basic-knots/
That is a pretty good site for knots of all who are interested.   You can do amazing things with lashing it just takes longer then you might think.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 2:30pm

Hey Gerald,,,Thanks Guy,!!!,,the clove hitch is the one I was thinkin bout and I needed to use one the other day but could not remember how to do it,,,but lookin at your pic,,,it seems so simple,,I'm kinda ashamed now,,, I like the clove hitch with the extra half hitch for extra hold,,,many thanks,,,,
Back when I used to do a lot of fishing,,,I used to use an "Improved Clinch" knot on the lure eyes and was a very good knot,,just never tried it on rope or,,,???

Edited by desertjoe - 26 May 2016 at 2:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic