This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17. What is this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robescc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17. What is this?
    Posted: 26 May 2016 at 1:06am
I am trying to troubleshoot my lift system when I found this arm. There is no linkage hooked to it. I removed the round cover on the side of the case and the arm definitely does engage a gear. What does it do and should it be hooked up? Thanks. 

Edited by robescc - 26 May 2016 at 1:08am
Sponsored Links

AMB(wcIL) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB(wcIL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 2:01am
The lever engages the belt pulley if equip'd.  The round cover is where the belt pulley mounts. 
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 4:55am
^^^ That's how mine is.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 7:30am
Yes lever to engage the belt pulley.  There would be a rod and handle coming through the dash at the lower right. Looks like your having some issues with a cover off the underside?
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 May 2016 at 8:14pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 7:47am
What went wrong with the lift? Inside the cover you have at the bottom of that photo is the piston pump. They are know to get plugged up with gunk you will want to clean it up good before you reinstall it.
How is the oil in the transmission? There is a hose that runs through the rearend that can go bad and will overfill the transmission with the hydraulic oil from your lift system it is the supply line to the cylinder.   
There could also be something up with the Draft control system but before anyone can give advice on that we would really need to know what was the original issue.
robescc View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robescc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Dan73 Dan73 wrote:

What went wrong with the lift? Inside the cover you have at the bottom of that photo is the piston pump. They are know to get plugged up with gunk you will want to clean it up good before you reinstall it.
How is the oil in the transmission? There is a hose that runs through the rearend that can go bad and will overfill the transmission with the hydraulic oil from your lift system it is the supply line to the cylinder.   
There could also be something up with the Draft control system but before anyone can give advice on that we would really need to know what was the original issue.

Thanks for the info. The lift would not raise for the longest time. Two days ago I started it up and the lift went up and nowner it's stuck up. No matter what position the power boost or lift/lower lever is in. I am running 10w oil in the system. Should I be using AT fluid or Hydraulic Fluid to help with the problem?
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 9:43am
Hydraulic fluid is the correct weight. 20 weight oil. Not sure what the issue would ne with lighter oil. Sounds like a problem with the traction boost setup or adjustments. Looking that up in the service manual would be a good place to start. Up and won't come down is usually the traction boost because it takes oil pressure to raise it. Also how much counter weight do you have on the hitch it will probably take about 200 pounds of weight to get the arms to come down as it is gravity down.   With the tractor powered down and the levers set to lower the lift you should be able to put weight on the lift and see it fall which will prove that the plumbing is not plugged up. I suspect it is either a lack of weight or the traction boost system. I don't know the traction boost well enough to tell you how to fix it but doc or Mac would know what you should look at.
robescc View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robescc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 9:46am
I'm 240 lbs and I can bounce on them and they won't budge.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 10:07am
loosen pressure line at the back and see if it relieves the oil and arms come down... while the tractor is off.  Might have seals going bad in cylinder, or hose having rubber come lose inside and plugging line.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic