This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pulling a IB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pulling a IB
    Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 7:49am
I was givin the chance to pull my friend Gary Arnesen's sharp looking 56? IB in the 2500 Farm Stock class over the weekend. The sled was adjusted for the start of the competition using the IB so I got three practice runs to get familiar with how it acted under a load. Pretty impressed with performance.
   Weight was 2360 and the competition Farmall As were all just under the max of 2500. Got to pull twice against them all and won both times. Got the best one of the As by less than a foot on its best run.
    Because the rules allow tractors to pull  3 times in 3 separate divisions, I elected to pull in 3000 against a JD H who weighed in at 3080. A bit over but the only one in the class so they let him hook. I had a 730 weight disadvantage but won that pull too. The JD got to pull twice (once against himself for distance) and still didn't best the IBs distance
    That was lots of fun. Was it just the IBs lucky day or is the weight distribution on the short wheelbase wotking it its favor?  I figure with about 140 more pounds on the rear it would be awesum.
Sponsored Links

dgerth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 5:48am
Ken,
Those little guys are really good pullers! Our CA got a 2nd in the 2500 class last wk end. She pulled 3k too but didnt podium, placed 4th. Got beat by a modded B. There is a 160 in the future tho. Did you pull your C?
dg
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 7:31am
I got to pull my CA on Friday and Saturday in 3500 stock and weighted and in 4000 weighted. Lots of competition in 3500 and the best I could do was 4th place twice.  It was close, INCHES, but just not enough to outpull the top 3 .  Won 4000 on Friday and got a second on Saturday to a very strong D14 on combine tires.
 Track was soft and mushey and piled up bigtime in front of the pan. Everyone was complaining about a dip in the track that was catching everybody at almost the same distance.   It didn't seem to bother the IB
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 9:04am
4000 around here is loaded with WD's, H's, JD A's....
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 2:13pm
I run circles around everything that steps up to me here locally with the exception of a guy's Oliver 66 he has tore down to bare bones…and I mean bare bones…grinding down the front casting, itty bitty plastic fuel tank, half the sheet metal missing bare bones. I'm pulling with my stock '50 Allis B with side engine weights and 1 set of rear wheel weights. Nothing more, nothing fancy done.

The JD B's, H's, and Farmall's just don't have the power to weight ratio and balance the B's seem to have.
dustinmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustinmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 9:51pm
I took an IB to the woods once to see if it would move a tree that fell over the road , had 3pt (homemade) hooked it to an oak that was at least 2foot in diameter, didn't think there was any way in he double hockey sticks it would do it but thought I am here, the tree was still alive and half the roots were still in the ground well mabe less than half but she set in and picked the front wheels about 2 inches off the ground and I could take it where ever I wanted it to go, If I hadn't been the one doing it I woudnt believe it for anything, but them little IBs will set in and pull
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 7:58am
Congratulations on your pull. A John Deere H is no match for an Allis B, My Dad has one, he tried to plow his garden with it once with the 16" trailer plow we use with our B, the H couldn't pull it in the uphill direction, we unhooked it with the plow in furrow, I backed the RC in and pulled away in 3rd gear. JD H's, L's, and unstyled B's are good for getting the mail and gathering eggs on a nice day, but that's about it.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 7:22am
Your right Charlie. There is lots of tuff competition in 4000 around here too. Pulling off a win in 4000 with my CA is sort of a "David Verses Goliath" victory. On a good hard track it has just enough stock engine guts under the hood in first gear to get the job done more often than not. I run engine side weights along with the cast front wheel to keep the nose down when it really gets hooked up. The #500 of suitcases are behind the rear axle giving me a better than 25/75 weight distribution. What a difference that #500 back there makes over not being there in 3500.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 9:32am
How do you mount them at the back? 
I guess you have removed the rear PTO housing and made a bracket?

I made a bracket for 3 weights per side at the Torque tube mount but that is still to far forward. That's 480 lbs. I can't think of where to put another 1000#'s of weight!

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 6:55pm
Ken: We just had our first pull up here today. I finally traded for a set of 18.4X16.1 tires With lots of tread and cut for Wendy's CA. What a difference it was from the ones off of the 2wd pull truck that we'd been running. In 3rd gear at 2500 pounds She out pulled my turbo CA. I may have boost, but she has cubes. I have 14.9X24s and also run 3rd gear at 2500. Being restricted with too small of a carburetor also keeps me from running like I want to. I hope to sort that out this summer if at all possible 
coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 10:07pm
pictures???
storm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 8:26pm
I'm thinking about doing stock pulling with my 1949 allis b and I was
Wondering what all I could do to give it more power? Thanks

Edited by storm - 09 May 2014 at 8:27pm
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 11:55pm
Just curious what kind of sled you guys pull at 2500-3000.  Around here the sleds are well over 30k lbs. and few classes below 4000.
Brians1946 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brians1946 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 1:15am
Jordan, the sled I help run out here in the Pacific NW, we normally have around 36k. You can pull 2500 without any problem, we have about 30 different gear selections and a power adjustable pan, so we can put em out at 250-300 feet and still get em stopped consistantly as low as 2500, and i've stopped a 1066 with a juiced DT466 in 150ft cold. if you have the adjustments, you should be fine with that sled weight
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic