This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Onan Engine Size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Onan Engine Size
    Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 9:54am
Was speaking with another person this morning and he questioned whether there was a reason the Onan engine was 19.5 hp.?  He mentioned another garden tractor engine he was aware of that was listed at 19.9 hp. and thought there may have been a regulatory reason to stay under 20hp.  Any idea?  Dave
Sponsored Links

EdW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 4:56pm
The story I remember hearing was that anything that was rated 20 hp and above had to go through the Nebraska tests.
EdW
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 6:07am
well there's LOTS of 20+ HP engines in riders...
maybe an EPA law ?? under 20,'relaxed' EPA testing??
it'd be easy to detune a 20HP engine to give 19.9 or less, just to bypass the EPA
more than likely a 'marketing scam'... Does the owrk of a 20HP engine, but use less gas.
I know you can't have a 10HP boat engine in  a lot of lakes up here(without license) so the '9.9' came out decades ago....
what I hate is up here in Canada, all small engines are in CC NOT HP....ove rthe years I finally can do 'the math'... take the CC/30=HP, so 270CC engine is 9 HP.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 10:34am
I've always wondered how to translate cc to hp.  I was told, by those selling engines with cc that it couldn't be done.  Yeah, the cc thing really frustrates me, too. 
As for the engine size below 20 hp that I've noticed, it was mostly before EPA would have rules on it, so I kinda go with the Nebraska test theory thing mentioned above.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 7:15pm
I think EdW is on the right track here.  The CCKB engine in the 620 actually put out more than 20 hp, but was listed as 19.5 hp to keep it as a lawn and garden tractor rather than a full fledged farm tractor.  I think it was mentioned in one of Norm's books.  I will have to look it up when I have more time.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 7:52am
Well wherever EdW heard it is probably the same place I heard it, so it must be true!  LOLWink

Edited by Brian F(IL) - 11 Sep 2018 at 10:00am
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 10:24pm
Nebraska test is what I heard!  Must be true

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 10:37am
cc to HP ? 
Seems that is not a true factor in ratings 
figure in what use - the Honda 18 HP I have now in my New Holland tractor also comes in 22 and 24 HP with the same cc size .  Then have seen the same engine put into small racing bike with 48 HP rating 
 Figure in motorcycles the cc size just denotes the displacement - but say my 750 cc Norton is rated at about 60 HP but the 850 Norton(823 cc) is rated lower HP but with a higher torque curve .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic