This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY? Front loader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY? Front loader
    Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 4:58am
I work in industrial maintenance and have access to parts and pieces and fab tools, I make tools all the time. Has anyone here ever made a front end loader? I've been thinking about it, a lot. I believe the biggest cost would be the cylinders and controls (everything we have is pneumatic) Just looking to see if someone could point me in the right direction as far as a proven design.
Sponsored Links

ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 8:27pm
There is a site that has plans to build a loader for almost all garden tractors, Just sorry I can't remember which one , sure someone will chime in with name
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 9:08pm
My questions for you would be:  Which tractor are you going to put in on, and how much weight are you planning to lift with the loader?

Many lawn and garden tractors were not designed to have a front end loader hanging off the front end.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 6:19am
I've been searching for one, any 'colour' for the past 3 months, even just the 'frame'..no luck.Want to use my B-112 as a 'loader only'. New deck is already off and shelved. Cost is crazy..about $1500 in the hydraulics(pump,valves,filter,hoses, cylinders) alone! Steel is free to me,though $$ to punch holes in the right places. There are 'linear acuators' that will work BUT s-l-o-w... Typically loaders lift about 400-500# so be sure front spindle WILL  support it.
If I decide to make my own, I'll make one out of wood ! Google images did find a few 'plans' but the Devil's in the details. It's far easier and cheaper to cut and drill wood than steel. This way you can confirm stuff like height, range of motion, cylinder placement. If you're off an inch it can make a BIG difference ! Also find a site that will calculate the hydraulics for you. More 'math'...pump speed, volume, cylinder size, etc. are all 'kinda' important.
Sad thing is I KNOW where ther's a DOA Case 646 but the owner won't sell to me even though I'd let him borrow it back anytime....sigh.
Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 2:55pm
think the easyest thing to do is go to the dealer and start measureing   a legacey     or the smallest jd or kubota ,   the kubotas that come here probley have the simplest constructed loaders
bamaboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 8:02pm
Wanting to add it to my 616 w/new 20hp engine. Ive operated heavy equipment most of my life, I just want to use it to move dirt (build a small dam) and such.
bamaboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 2:45am
I've learned that the later 620/720 had better spindles to support more weight. If I was able to find some, are the spindles interchangeable with the 616 front axle, or would I need to change it all?
talntedmrgreen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talntedmrgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:00am
I think the axle can be swapped over.  The 620 actually used both types, so watch for the bulkier of the two spindle setups.  
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic