This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to kill a Fish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to kill a Fish
    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 6:30pm
I’m talking humanely folks. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a vegetarian and I know how the food change works. I love to fish, I love eating fish. The problem is, I catch fish and put them in the live well and they are still alive for hours after I get home. I’m not going to clean a live fish. I can’t do it. They live a long time even if you drain the water. Will they die quicker in city water? I googled this question and they basically said “knock them in the head “. I’m not fond of killing, I just wish they hurry up and die already. What do y’all do?
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 6:44pm
Usually just chop off the head - thats barbaric, but fast
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 6:55pm
My dad used to to whack em on the head. It's quick if done right.
I remember some time ago had minnows left over from an outing so put them in an aquarium with city water. They were dead in a hour.

Edited by plummerscarin - 27 Apr 2021 at 6:58pm
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 7:11pm
Cut of the head while alive is the best method. Think of it this way, eating dead fish have more chances for parasites, bacteria, and such. It will make keeping them alive and cutting off the head easier. Packing on ice will keep them from flopping so much when cleaning.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 3:18am
If I am dealing with kinda large guys I have a 1/2 lb hammer that puts them to sleep.

Otherwise on the small stuff the head comes off first.
Joe(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 8:45am
Put them on ice.
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 12:32pm
We have to drain the live well before leaving the boat ramp failure to do it is a hefty fine. By the time you drive up to the cleaning station their dead. Otherwise Wack it with a fish wacker and cut the head off. We go straight from the boat ramp to cleaning station. The faster you clean them after death the better the fish is. If you can't clean imeadatly you need to ice them. In the winter Judy toss them out the icehouse door the freeze right away and you can clean at home. Only one cleaning station is open in the winter. When we were tuna risking in the Indian Ocean we had to use a full size baseball bat but fish we catch here a fish wacker is big enough.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 28 Apr 2021 at 12:36pm
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 2:40pm
How do you fillet a fish with no head?
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

We have to drain the live well before leaving the boat ramp failure to do it is a hefty fine. By the time you drive up to the cleaning station their dead. Otherwise Wack it with a fish wacker and cut the head off. We go straight from the boat ramp to cleaning station. The faster you clean them after death the better the fish is. If you can't clean imeadatly you need to ice them. In the winter Judy toss them out the icehouse door the freeze right away and you can clean at home. Only one cleaning station is open in the winter. When we were tuna risking in the Indian Ocean we had to use a full size baseball bat but fish we catch here a fish wacker is big enough.

Dave if you ever went fishing with the guys I do, you wouldn’t have to go tuna fishing to need a baseball bat. Some of them have have caught bass that a bat isn’t big enough, in fact some flatheads they caught they probably needed a wrecking ball to kill.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 6:59pm
I remember my Dad filleting fish and when he was finished they would still be breathing.  I always wanted to take one down to the river and see it could swim. 

Yes, I also want to know how you filet a fish with the head chopped off.

I guess the best answer to the original post is to do catch and release.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 7:56pm
Ocean fishing you use the cheapest boose you got rum, vodka, scotch whatever soak a rag in it and lay it over their gills. It doesn't take long and they die. Some times you don't have long cause some of them gots big toofies. Barracuda is prime example.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 9:47am
Catfish are easy and quick. Dead center of their skull just above the eyes, there is a hole in the skull, I always took a small piece of wire and jam it into the brain and they die real quick.
Maximum use of available resources!
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 10:09am
Barracuda we just gaffed and tossed in the hold. gave them to the guys that clean the fish they loved them. the tuna were about 80" long.  even after gaffing  to get onboard. we still wacked them other wise they just thrashed to much. we hired a boat and captain every Thursday and had fish fry every Friday.  I was deployed for 90 days living in a tent. fishing was about the only good thing about the military forced camping trip.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

You still start at the head where it’s cut.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 12:22pm
On a sailboat you don't have the luxury of a hold and the cockpit is kinda like being in a bathtub with em gaffing them is good but you can still count on a fight afterward.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 1:03pm
I hope not too much is thought about, never will see crabs, lobster, shrimp, oysters, clams, etc on the menu at the fancy restaurants!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 8:48am
Originally posted by allisbred allisbred wrote:

Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

You still start at the head where it’s cut.

What do you hold onto?

When I fillet a fish, the head is the handle.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 11:02am
You don’t have much until you start cutting. That’s why it is easier to put them on ice and then make your fillets after they stop flopping, they are still alive though and I guess that is not humane anymore. Remembering back to the first rock fishing trip I was on using a “live” well, that was basically allowing us to keep all fish until a larger one was caught. That was not how I was raised to fish. We made the decision before pulling to the boat, then packed on ice. These fish are about 18”-28” in length so cutting the head off, then cutting down the top fin gave you room to put your hand into if that was your choice. I have never seen the wacking method but sounds like it may work fine.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 10:15am
22 shot to the head works. Just don't do it in the boat....
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Scott B Scott B wrote:

Can you get 22 shorts anymore?
Maximum use of available resources!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 8:51am
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

Originally posted by Scott B Scott B wrote:

Can you get 22 shorts anymore?

In theory yes. In practice or in stores, maybe?
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 10:59am
Originally posted by allisbred allisbred wrote:

Cut of the head while alive is the best method. Think of it this way, eating dead fish have more chances for parasites, bacteria, and such. It will make keeping them alive and cutting off the head easier. Packing on ice will keep them from flopping so much when cleaning.
When salmon fishing in Alaska with my cousin we whack them with a bat as soon as they're in the boat then slit the belly and gills, bleed and clean out the guts and pack them with ice and keep them in a cooler while we're out there, humane and stays much fresher.
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 12:05pm
Getting ready for a fishing trip here soon, going to bring a bat along and see if I’m allowed on the boat—lol! Guys might have me locked up for beating a fish to death— who knows! So being serious— where do I need to hit a Rock (striped bass) to be most effective? These guys don’t move much once out of water.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic