This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats it worth?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Tundra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats it worth?
    Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 8:27pm
I am going to look at a 41 B this weekend. The guy has owned it since the 70's Parked it about 3 years ago outside with a tarp over it. He says the motor is tight and wont turn with hand crank, no wheel weights, woods mower fixable ( his opinon ), does not have the original seat, tires hold air. fenders are rusted hood and grile are good. Wondering what you think about it. Dont want to see it go to the scrapper down the road. What do you think?
What do you mean another tractor, honey? That tractor has been here for years.
Sponsored Links

RyanTN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 8:36pm
Depending on how bad you want it and how many B's are in your area, I would say $200-$400 for the tractor in my book.  I would then say $150-$400 for the mower.    Some guys will say a woods mower is worth a bunch of money, but if you are patient, you can usually find one reasonable.  I have bought two in that price range and have passed on a few more.  Of course, location means a lot as well.  How is the supply and demand for B's and woods mowers in your area?  Do you have a use for the mower?  Do you have a few more (close) B's to choose from?  All in all, from what you describe, I would say $300-$500(tops) would be fair. 
AC Tundra View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Tundra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 8:50pm

I have a 57 B with a woods mower. I was thinking parts tractor. Just not sure  how many parts will be the same given the difference in age (mag vs distrb. etc) . If I get it I  plan on letting it "soak" Maybe it will free up :>) Any recomendations on what to put in the cylinders? I have heard transmission fluid.

ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:10pm
I had good luck using ATF mixed with acetone on a WD once.   I took the head off to see how bad it was, and then poured each one to the top.   After a couple weeks, it starting draining past the rings.   Another week or two of letting it drain down past the rings and rocking one rear tire off of the ground and the tranny in gear and she popped free.   I would pop the head though and see what you're in for if you bring it home.   For the price of a head gasket, I think it's worth it.   I brought a WD home two weeks ago that the owner said ran 8 years ago.   After popping the head and seeing all the pitting and corrosion, it was more like 28 years ago.  
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:42pm
I'm curious:
It always amazes me the difference between preceived value and advertized prices. You will need to look long and hard to find a B priced even at 1000.00 on CL or Ebay but ask anyone what they are worth and they will tell you about 500 or less. Sure try to find one that cheap. I see more ads for B's C's or CA's priced over 2K than than under it seems. I realize askin and gettin is 2 different things but I doubt they are coming down 75%.
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:45pm
atf and brake fluid broke my WC loose...worked well.
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
RyanTN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:58pm
$1000 for a locked up B?  Not for me thanks.  He asked about a locked up parts B not a refurbished runner.  Tires are a huge part of a B's price.  Here is the last B I bought (two months ago).  It is complete and loose.  Rims are good, needs complete restore.  Paid $300.  We were both happy.  Paid the same for my previous B.  Put way more into them, but that's the hobby, right?

Edited by RyanTN - 14 Oct 2010 at 10:08pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 10:02pm
price probably depends on location wkpoor.. I bought 5 Bs in 5 years, one per year, and paid $500-800 for each. All ran, some better than others. Two had mower decks, one had a rear blade. I just look and look and saw a lot of $2000. I just wait for the right one. I bought two on e-bay, one off this site, one off YT, and one off local trader. I personally doubt many sell for $2k, but i cant say for sure, because i dont follow them if they are that high. Bought mine between 2002- 2007 so it has been a couple years. I got two in middle Iowa, on in easter Illinois and two southern illinois. I have traveled 250 miles one way, so that does add a cost.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 8:17am
I got a neighbor with I think a CA (sorry I'm a W series and D series guy) with a belly mower in his front yard with good paint. I was told he's asking $1500, been sitting there quite awhile.
Steve Bright View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Bright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 10:11am
I can buy a late model B with a woods belly mower within 10 minutes of my home, Have never owned a B, This tractor needs a new battery box, everything else is real good, very nice B for $1600, converted to 12 volt system. Has good tires, tin work is good, paint is good, appears to have been painted 10 or 15 years ago. I'm in south central Indiana, I don't need the tractor but I think it is a good buy?
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 10:41am
Here's a runner for $650, probably get it for 600!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
MilesGray (CO/KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesGray (CO/KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 10:59am
The last 3 B's/C's I have bought cost 1100, 350, and 1000 with woods mower, sickle, and brush hog... all running... 2 were in operation when I bought them... no way would I one that was locked up for 1000.  jmo

Miles
Miles Gray (CO/KS)

5 1938 B's, 1940 B, 1944 WF C, 1948 NF C, Gleaner A, White Top Rotobaler, 1957 IH Golden Jubilee... I'm either a collector, or crazy!
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 1:20pm
Wow I should ask for a commission, I posted the neighbor has a tractor for sale in the morning and it's gone by lunch! LOL
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 1:52pm
Bill, if you read his post, the engine is locked up. Anybody that would give $1000 or more for a B with a locked up engine must think he's buying a 1937 Waukesha B.
 My 1938 B #254 would start on the first or second crank, had usable tires with one rear rim rusted bad. It also had a belly mower with hand lift in working condition and I paid $750 at a well advertised and well attended auction.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Larry in OK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry in OK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 8:46pm
Looked at  a rough but running B at the Catoosa, OK. tractor and engine show this afternoon. The guy had it marked at $650  but he sounded like he really didn't want to take it home. I did pick up a good hood for my CA from him for $30.

Edited by Larry in OK - 15 Oct 2010 at 8:47pm
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for much of anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 8:22am
Originally posted by wkpoor wkpoor wrote:

I'm curious:
It always amazes me the difference between preceived value and advertized prices. You will need to look long and hard to find a B priced even at 1000.00 on CL or Ebay but ask anyone what they are worth and they will tell you about 500 or less. Sure try to find one that cheap. I see more ads for B's C's or CA's priced over 2K than than under it seems. I realize askin and gettin is 2 different things but I doubt they are coming down 75%.

You see the ad's for the 2K B's is because they are the ones that arn't selling. They are just that, advertisements, not "this sold last week" newspaper articles. If you look, you'll see $500 B's or ones that are priced at 750-1000 that are talked down to 500-1000. Trust me.
tractorman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 9:28am
recently someone told me to use denatured alcohol in cylinders to free them up, he said it would suck up moisture, and unlike oils it would run through rusty rings  etc.  have never tried it. has any one tried this before ?
doubledwrenching View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubledwrenching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 7:22pm

is there a blue book for the values of tractors like cars

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 7:32pm
I read on this forum some time back that Larry Swenson was involved with someone in writing a book about tractor values. If you are really interested in one or 2 models, you can watch them on epay and collect info from sales over any amount of time you have and compare condition and price of ones sold with what you are looking for. Most times it pays to shop around if you are interested in a certain model. Charlie
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubledwrenching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 7:46pm
my gandfather just gave me his 54 b.  it all started cause i wanted to redue it.  but i was wonder what it is worth even though it will never be sold.  he has many things with the tractor all so.
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 9:14pm
doubledwrenching, if it was your grandfathers, who cares what its worth when its done.   It's a family tractor, and that in itself means something.   I have one of my dad's old tractors, and have been having trouble finding the other ones.   Once they're gone, they're gone. 
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 9:24pm
If you repair it right, it will be worth way less on the open market, and way more to you, than the money and time you will have invested. That's how it is with a family tractor. 
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
AC Tundra View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Tundra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 9:34pm
Stoped by the guys house today after work, he wasnt home, but he had the tarp off the B. It is out behind the barn but I dont go looking around when no bodies home! He doesnt have a for sale sign on it and you cant see it from the road so I think it will be there tomorrow. Condition wise was just like he said from what I could see. The crank was sticking out the front, and a can of WD-40 was on the hood.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubledwrenching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 10:32am
I will never sell the tractor and it's worth more to me than any dollar amount. It's just one of those things to know.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic