This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD Steering Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC Dan K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD Steering Problem
    Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 8:17pm
Hi Guys,
First Question:
Is there a reversible gear in the steering box of a WD? In one manual it says semi-reversible, don't understand what that means. Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links

LarryWC In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryWC In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 10:12pm
I guess I don't understand why you would do that,,,having rebuilt my stearing on my WD, the wear on both sides of both gears would be the same reguardless of what side you would use.
The worm gear and the rack could be turned around though.
Interesting question,,must be a reason why though for it to be mentioned by the manual.
www.allischalmersmuseum.com
SC Dan K. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC Dan K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 6:39pm
I finally got back to work on the steering on my WD-45. Does anybody know the manufacturers numbers for the seal and roller bearings on the worm shaft. I have the Tim Ken number for the inner part with the rollers. I can't find any numbers on the seal and when I ordered seals that one didn't come. I can't figure how to get the outer part out. If anybody has any suggestions I would appreciate them.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryWC In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 3:19pm
AGCO dealer should have something for you.,,,I would think anyway.
Suprisingly , they had the lower strearing bearing and seal for my WD.
SC Dan K. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC Dan K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 7:24pm
Thank you for the reply. I bought the big seals from my old AC(now Kubota) dealer. I don't know about the big thrust bearing and sector until I can remove the hand crank shaft. I hope I don't need those since they look expensive.
Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 8:33pm
Does anyone have pictures of the steering innards? Will be doing that soon, just wanted to know what it looks like for real and not from a sectional view in the manual.

1954 WD45 NF "Iron Tater"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryWC In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 6:42am
I do,,I'll post them for ya!
SC Dan K. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC Dan K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 6:08pm
I have it all apart, I have a camera, I don't have a clue how to load pictures. Maybe my niece or nephew will stop by and teach an old dog a new trick.
SC Dan K. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC Dan K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 7:05pm
Larry. By any chance do you have the manufacturers number off the lower steering bearing? The number I have is obsolete. The parts counter guy is still trying to contact the company that bought the company that bought the company that made the bearing I have. If I can find the right number I can save some bucks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic