This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dog tracking collars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dog tracking collars
    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 8:25am
Looking for first hand recommendations for a multiple dog tracking collar/system. I will be in the mountains of Pa so cell service is sketchy and intermittent so I do not think the cellular based ones will work. Need one that goes direct to a handheld tracker. Do they also come with correction sound/shock? Any advise? Thanks
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Sponsored Links

Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 8:57am
Whoah,  am gonna follow this thread.

My wife is on my case to get a tracker for her lab, cus she thinks the coyoties are gonna eat her after i kick her but outside to do her nightly duties.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:15am
lots of BLE units for $10 or so. 'Bluetooth Low Energy'.range about 150', you get a 'circle' of here_i_am of about 30'..... NONE are accurate....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:16am
  Ever watch the Mountain Men and the guy that run mountain lions with his dogs. Don't know what kind he uses but follows the dogs for miles in the mountains
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 1:54pm
My son who is not here, but his dog is, knows more about this.  When he comes to pick up Zues, I will ask him and give more info if I can.  But I know that he hunts his dog, no tracking needed for him, but a few guys that he hunts with use them.  They hunt up in PA near Warren, Russell City area I Think????  National Forrest area.   And use them. I know that Nick has a collar that is gps, and accurate to about 10 feet. Not sure how it works, but he knows where his dogs are, how fast they are running, how many feet/miles etc. 

Edited by Dave in PA - 20 Feb 2021 at 1:59pm
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 2:31pm
There are very few tracking systems that will generate signals powerful enough to carry long distances through foliage and rocks.  Any transmitting frequencies with short-enough antenna lengths will be direct line-of-sight, and a dog collar with anything more than a watt of transmit power will require a large battery, and of course, be emitting near-microwave energy within inches of the animal's brain stem and eyes.

The 'professional' way, is to use a low-power transmitting beacon, and a hand-held directional antenna to 'sweep' an area for a beacon.  Then use the direction and intensity to get a good idea of where to look.

When radiolocating crashed airplanes, or hunting out hidden transmitters or noise sources, we use multiple points of detection, with vector and strength to multi-point triangulate a signal... techniques proven since WW1... but with higher frequencies, the recieve antennas get much more compact, and can be built with much higher forward gain, and much greater null suppression... meaning, they're more sensitive in the pointed direction, and less susceptible to noise coming in from any other angle.

HAMS refer to it as "Fox-Hunting" (if they're moving)... or "Hidden Transmitter Hunting (if they're stationary). we use it to find sources of stray noise, to pinpoint damaged radio systems causing out-of-band interference, to locate illegal operators, and to track operations of criminals who aren't bright enough to know that the world CAN hear them.

You don't need any sort of license to make, own, or operate a radiolocation 'kit'... and it's not hard to make.  A receiver sensitive enough, and selective enough to HEAR the frequency you wanna listen on, and an appropriately made 'fox hunting' antenna... with a short connection cable to the receiver.  A good-quality handheld scanner, a pair of earphones, and the antenna, a st**dy pair of hiking boots, a map, pencil, and a compass is a good start.  An inline attenuator (to reduce signal strength) is necessary once you get close, as the signal will be so strong that the antenna will not effectively 'null' out a direction, but in dog-tracking, once you're that close, you'll probably (well, hopefully) hear him diggin' in the shrubbery.

Here's a good basic look:
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 7:20pm
If money is no object, I've heard these work well. 
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/outdoor_recreation/sporting_dogs/c12520-c12522-p1.html

The coon hunters that have them love them.  I think the neighbors will do up to 6 dogs at once.  They have so many options now that you almost need someone to help you figure out what you need.  I believe I read that they can do up to 20 dogs for something like 10 miles.  LOL  Would have came in handy years ago when the neighbor and I were on a 3 mile no road creek and old "Ace" was going back and forth as we were going back and forth the opposite direction, he failed to tree and loading up and leaving at 11 o'clock turned into 2:30am.  Coonless to boot! LOL

Edited by Kansas99 - 20 Feb 2021 at 7:26pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic