This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Classifieds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Positive or negative ground

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uldmoore2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Positive or negative ground
    Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 3:58pm
How do I know if my tractor is setup for a positive or negative ground ? I was trying to get it going and replaced the solenoid tried to get it to start a couple of times and my solenoid is appears to be fried
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 4:33pm
what is the tractor model ???  Most really dont care if they are connected positive or negative, as long as you dont short out the wires..... and you should move to the TRACTOR section, not the CLASSIFIED...

look at the STARTER cable and follow it backward.. Should go to the SOLENOID, then other side of SOLENOID goes to the battery... WHICH TERMINAL ?

Edited by steve(ill) - 14 Feb 2023 at 4:34pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
uldmoore2009 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uldmoore2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 5:02pm
Allis chalmers d17 series 1 if I follow the wire it goes to the solenoid but the problem is this tractor didn't have a battery on it when I got it
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 6:24pm
ALL A-C tractors with a generator are POSITIVE ground. Makes no difference 6 or 12 volts. ALL A-C tractors with an alternator are NEGATIVE ground. ALL A-C tractors converted from a gen to an alt are still negative ground.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 6:33pm
as Dr said, your tractor originally had a generator and it would have been positive ground.. The generator is the charging system and would normally be painted BLACK... If you have an ALTERNATOR,, it was converted to negative ground , 12 volts... The ALTERNATOR would normally be aluminum and not painted...

Again, the tractor does not care ( starter and solenoid), and will start with either ground... But you generator or alternator might not like it.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic