This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage and unusual pickup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage and unusual pickup
    Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 1:08pm

1968 International 1200 4WD with 345 V8, pop-up Alaskan Camper, owned by a friend of mine from New Hampshire. He got it in Arizona.
Sponsored Links

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 1:54pm
Nice truck ! Haven't seen any International pick-ups in a long time . Thanks for sharing
D19allisowner View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D19allisowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 4:53pm
Do you have more pictures?
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.
Darwin W. Kurtz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 6:06pm
Wow, that's a neat truck
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 6:25pm
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 9:20pm
Rare day to see cool stuff like that. Thanks!
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 9:35pm
had a red one and a blue just like that  the blue one was a 67 it my first pickup bought it when i was 14 for fifty bucks  couldnt afford a battery so i allays parked on a hill for a month i had  a denny insted of an alternator  so it would run the ignition andthe philco radio out of a ford that looked like it was installed with a cutting torch among other things. i guess thats why i always liked c w mcalls  song classified ad
Darwin W. Kurtz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 10:14pm
A Ford part on an International......they always said to use genuine IH parts from your IH dealer!   I had an early 70's red one a few years ago that I thought I would restore but didn't and someone came by and needed an old truck just to drive and since I hadn't much in it I let them have it.
Joe(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 8:44am
I used to have an Alaskan camper.  Neat campers. 
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 4:58pm
My grandpa had one the same year/color. When he passed away my brother bought it as he needed a vehicle as he was turning 16.  

I had a 1972  that was painted Burnished Gold (a funky brown) from the factory, my nickname for the truck was "The Brown Streak".

My dad had several 1970s Travelalls, a 1975 200 4X4- the thing was a beast, 1958 A120 4X4 long box step side and still had the livestock racks for the sides. After he semi-retired from farming he fixed up a 1958 Golden Jubilee. 

Later after the '68 was no longer drivable, my brother bought a 1972 Camper Special that was loaded to the gills, 392 engine, bucket seats, AM/FM radio, A/C, etc... Found out Winnebago bought it and used it for their advertising for the pickup campers. The factory is about 25 miles from where we lived so it made sense as to why it was in the area. Even found an ad in, I think Popular Science, that featured that truck. 

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 8:33pm
saw a net old truck at an IH dealer today, was a restored 1955 IH 2 ton flatbed, had sid boards on it stating: RED TOYS for GOOD 'OL BOYS
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 5:31am
Originally posted by TramwayGuy TramwayGuy wrote:

owned by a friend of mine from New Hampshire. He got it in Arizona.

Always like to see old I-H trucks.

Though, I do feel sorry for the truck; left in Arizona, it would still look that good in a couple hundred years; it won't fare so well in the North-East.

Another typical sad Kentucky story = way back in the good ol' days, my back-fence neighbor's father had a 4x4 I-H 3/4-ton about the same model as that one; except, his was a darker blue and stood up off the ground quite a bit more.

Back then, it was just another old truck, except that for around here it was unique in that it was 4x4; as rough steep and muddy as it always has been, surprisingly, it was quite rare for anyone to own a 4x4 = extra expense that nobody could afford.

Being teenagers, we drove the wheels off that thing; whether it was possum hunting in some back cornfield in the middle of the night, or watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre at the local drive-in for the forty-seventh time (they played it almost every week for years).

I would have (and still would) cut my little finger off to have that truck.

Alas, one of the local money men actually had money to buy it whereas I never would have, so he bought it to use on his farm.

As time passed, just a few years ago, it ended up sitting in the front lot at one of the local junkyards --- still very much driveable.

I saved cans, picked up Walnuts, babysat, and took to stealing, but never could manage the $800 asking price.

Then, a couple years ago, scrap got really high and the crushers started making their rounds from yard to yard, and that perfectly good driveable I-H 4x4 truck got smushed to smithereens right along with all the rest.

It makes me even sicker than I already am to think about it; it is worse than when they shot Ol' Yeller.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 7:10am
Hmm, well to each their own I suppose. I’ll grant that truck looks pretty neat in a nostalgic way. We owned a 3/4 ton 2 wd ‘70. About the biggest pile of crap to ever roll on a highway. Oh, lots of memories to be sure, most due to hilarious circumstances that came about from its crappiness.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 8:10am
yep...im with Tbone.. I had a 1969 Chuby 20 .. 2 wheel drive with a  straight 6 motor and wide ratio 4 speed.. thought i was in 7th heaven... Real nice old truck... Rode like a lumber wagon and top speed maybe 70 ?...

Now i got a 1/2 ton truck, pulls a bigger load, 4 times the HP and double the gas mileage and could cruse down the road over 80 MPH for hours on end... and rides smoother than a Caddy....... but still remember that old LUMBER WAGON !! 
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 12:08pm
I had 2 IH pickups, 68 fwd half ton, 304 and 3 speed, then had a 74 half ton, 345 and auto trans, both very good but a little crude at times.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 2:57pm
Could fit 6 or seven high school kids easily across the huge bench seat. Second one in from the left drove. That blew people’s minds in oncoming traffic when the person on the left would wave with both hands out the window!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

yep...im with Tbone.. I had a 1969 Chuby 20 .. 2 wheel drive with a  straight 6 motor and wide ratio 4 speed.. thought i was in 7th heaven... Real nice old truck... Rode like a lumber wagon and top speed maybe 70 ?...

Now i got a 1/2 ton truck, pulls a bigger load, 4 times the HP and double the gas mileage and could cruse down the road over 80 MPH for hours on end... and rides smoother than a Caddy....... but still remember that old LUMBER WAGON !! 

That's comparing the past, to now.  In 1969, someone would say exactly the same thing about my '24 TT or even my '29 Ford A pickup.

I wouldn't trade my '70 Kaiser-Jeep Jeepster Commando for ANYTHING new.  It isn't going to be comfortable blasting down the interstate at 80mph, nor would I be comfortable in sub-zero or 100F temps, but I'm still not getting rid of it.

If I had a chance to add a 4wd TravelAll to my collection, I most certainly would...  and all the old idiocyncracies would be welcomed with glee...Wink
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2023 at 1:46pm
One of my fuel customers had a 1955 4 door he bought it new along with a speed boat. The family would take it to Lake of the Ozarks in the summer. It was blue 1/2 ton.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 3:14am
went to an auction a few years ago, there were several IH pickups on the auction, 2-drs, 4-drs, long/short boxes, 6 & 8 cyl engines. not bad shaped ones too. a couple were rust buckets, they all brought big money on the auction. none of them ran at the time.
ihc pickups View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihc pickups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 9:25am
I got the IH disease several years back. I like the 1974/75 d-200 models. 345 and 392 4 speeds and automatics... much prfer the 4 speed.
I have completely restored 2 of them and sold them late last year on BAT.
Had a reserve of 25,000.00 on both and they brought well past that.
Still have 2 setting in the shop along with a 1975 Scout traveler.
Current project is a 1946 KB. The cab is painted fenders are close to being ready to put on. Overhauled the Green Diamond 214 engine running into an issue finding the correct bottom radiator hose.
Like I said i have IHC disease BAD.
Nice looking one here.
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic