This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

difference in 226 engine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WC)(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: difference in 226 engine?
    Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 8:02pm
Forgive me if this is a dumb question but i see the wd45 and d17 both have 226 engines in them..however the d17 is a lot more powerful..what is different?  bore and stroke are the same..rpms and compression are different...what is different in the engine and how hard would it be for me to make my 45 like a d17?
Sponsored Links

Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 8:21pm
It's not dumb.300rpm and higher compression makes more horse.Dr Allis once said that the smaller mains on the 45 don't oil as well at the higher rpm.Maybe that's why the 17 uses a fully grooved main brg which in my opinion is not a good design for load and stress.Ever seen a stress chart of a load bearing lower grooved main VS a smooth bearing? Spike up,spike down,spike up VS curve.

Edited by Steve M C/IL - 11 Jul 2010 at 8:22pm
Jeff(WC)(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WC)(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 8:28pm
i will just leave well enough alone then...lol
thanks for the info
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 8:31pm

the 175 version of the 226 is the highest hp. compression cam and carb was the difference with a slight rpm increase also

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic