This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis B timing.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joegrgraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis B timing.
    Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 1:45pm
Hi all, I'm just sorting out the timing on my rebuilt B engine, now, this is probably a stupid question, but this is my first rebuild and I just want to get it right.
With the flywheel FIRE mark in the centre of the 'window', the crank timing mark is two teeth behind fully meshing with the cam gear, however, the tooth that IS fully meshed at that point has been punch stamped. So, should I set the cam mark with the factory mark or with the later mark (which I presume would have been done for a reason)? 

If it seems like a good idea, do it. It's easier to apologise than to get permission.
Sponsored Links

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 2:51pm
The camshaft and crankshaft marks line up on Top Dead Center as well the governor gear.
If you do all your timing settings at top dead center you will not get confused.

Some use the fire mark to set the magneto in. All engines use top dead center to mark timing gears.

If you use the top dead center to set up your engine and when it is running and if you place a timing light pointing into the inspection hole you will see the FIRE line if it is in time.
When setting up an engine be in Chevy Ford Oliver or Allis I have always used top dead center for start up. They will run there. Then use the timing light to set to specs when it applies. 

Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 3:30pm
Dick, Outstanding presentation.  If the crankshaft, camshaft, govenor shaft marks are in order they you can use the "finger in number one cyl" timing method.  Worked for me all the time.
I'm away from home but there is a web site that pictures the timing procedure.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
jjrosty View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrosty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 3:05pm
when you put the mag in, does the impulse drive in the mag need to be loaded & ready to trip, or do you trip it just past firing on 1 and then back the mag drive up so it lines up in the slots? 
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 6:18pm
Yes! The magneto does need to be loaded and ready to snap as it passes TDC when first cranking it over. Your not going to be able to hold it loaded and get it installed while setting on TDC.

That is why Bill Long will tell you to put the magneto on as soon as you feel air coming out of number one plug hole. If the magneto is ready to fire on number one, the drive on the magneto will back up enough to engage the the drive slots without causing a problem.

A lot of different ways to get to the same results. When you get it figured out I am sure your way will be the best and work for your for as long as you work on one of these tractors regardless how I or anyone else does it. The key is understanding where it is suppose to fire and be able to get there yourself. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic