This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 Won't Go

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarollo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 Won't Go
    Posted: 01 May 2011 at 9:47pm
I went to fire up my Series I D17D this spring and it wouldn't turn over. As it turns out, there was a bunch of insulation looking material packed up in the starter housing preventing it from engaging. I think I mouse got in the hole on the right side of the tractor, into the flywheel cavity, and up into the starter. I removed and cleaned the starter up and pulled a little bit of junk out from aroud the flywheel using a piece of wire. I started the tractor today and it was running fine, but when my dad was driving, he stopped for a minute, and now the tractor won't go. I thought maybe this could be a clutch problem, maybe even releated to that mouse, but the PTO seems to engage and disengage fine. I can use the shifter and it goes right into any gear without having to drepress the clutch, which is odd. When the power dirverter isn't in neutral it sounds like it's engaged as well. I don't know a lot about tractors. Any ideas on what this could be or things I should check?
Sponsored Links

Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 9:56pm
Could be the mouse junk is jamming up the throw out bearing holding the clutch in the released position. Could be the clutch just bit the dust too. You're probably going to have to split the tractor to get at the clutch.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
tcarollo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarollo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 10:53pm
That's what I was afraid of... I guess I'll have to do that to take a look though. It probably is the mouse junk. The thing that confuses me though is that if it is the clutch, why the PTO still seems to work properly. I'll have to check it again, but I'm pretty sure that when I was on the tractor with the PTO level enabled, when I pushed in on the clutch the PTO would stop. Without understanding how it really works, I was assuming that if the clutch was able to control the PTO okay, then the cluch probably wasn't the issue. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 3:08pm

Are you saying that the pto lever moves normally? That would not tell me anything. What would is if the pto is engaged and it will power whatever equipment you have hooked to it. The series 1 to 3 all use the engine clutch to eangage and disengage the pto. If the pto will power up your mower or what ever you're using, then I would be wondering about the Power Director. The series 4 I'm pretty sure is quite a bit different.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
tcarollo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarollo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 9:48pm
Thanks for your help. I double checked everything tonight and yes, with the PTO enabled (small level by left foot) it powers up and I can use the clutch to engage/disengage the PTO. Also, I notice that if I try to shift into 4th gear directly without using the clutch, there is resistance, and when I use the clutch it shifts smooth. So all of this seems to indicate that the clutch is working fine, doesn't it? Basically, the tractor seems to act just like it would if I had the power director in neutral. However, when I move the power director from neutral to low there's definately a different sound within the tractor though. In low, it sounds to me like things are moving/turning inside and seems quieter when it's in neutral, but maybge I'm crazy. I guess it's possible that the power director just engaging completely, but it's odd that low and high would both not work.
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 9:53pm
check that the shaft the PD lever is mounted to moves with the lever, I wonder if your set screw backed out, and now your lever is moving, but not the actual shaft the fork is tied to.  I have a 17, that has sat for years without use outside, and I was amazed at how easy the setscrew came out, and that the lever was loose on the shaft after the stescrew was loosened.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 9:55pm
You might check the bolt that locks the P.D. lever to the shaft. It is tapered and fits into a matching hole in the shaft. If that bolt backed out, you might just be not getting the P.D. snapped into either high or low even though the lever moves.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 9:57pm
If that isn't it, the next easiest thing would be to pull the top off the tranny, you would easily be able to see what turns and what doesn't when in gear.  If you put it in gear manually with the top of the tranny off, then start it up with the clutch depressed, let out the clutch push or pull the PD lever, and don't see any movement, it is in the PD, if the gears start turning, well the problem is further back, maybe a spider gear, or broken shaft, but unless you heard a pop, or clunk or something like that, I wouldn't get to excited about major repairs just yet.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
tcarollo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarollo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 9:04pm
I checked the PD and the shaft definately turns - the shaft doesn't rotate very much but it rotates with the lever. I tried to back out the bolt on the bottom of the lever just to check that it's seated well, but I couldn't muscle it loose and I was afraid to bust it. I put the tractor in gear and took off the the transmission control cover. The clutch is definately working. When it's depressed none of the gears move, when I start to let it out, everything on the main shaft starts spinning. Anything in particular I should be looking for here? I played around with letting the clutch out while in gear using with the PD in low and neutral and regardless of the PD position the gears turned everytime. I'm not sure how the PD actually disconnects the drive train but I guess it makes sense for these gears to turn regardless of the PD position since this is what drives the PTO too, right? I'll have to do some reading on how the PD actually works. Anyway I guess it sounds like the issue is further back, huh? Anything else you think I could check -- after I figure out how to keep everything lined up with the shift forks while I replace the control cover.

Edited by tcarollo - 03 May 2011 at 9:06pm
frankmi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 11:08pm
Is it a two stage clutch with throw-out bearing only releasing half way?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 7:33am
OK, so let me make sure I understand you.  While you had the cover off, you manually move a sliding gear to engage a collar, started the tractor, and let out the clutch with the PD lever in low, and the gears did start to turn and continued turning until you depressed the cutch????  If all of that is true, it sounds like your problem is further back, I would say that possibly a spider shaft "fell out" and the spider gears came out of the carrier, or a broken shaft, broken teeth in a gear somewhere.  Are there any noises in the rear end anywhere?  Since the tractor has a differential, if one side of the rear end is no longer connected to the wheel, the other side won't turn.  Next test I woul do, is put it in gear, tranny cover back on, at least temped on, and stand on the left brake, then the right brake, and see if either tire moves.  After that I think you are going to have to tear into the rear housing.

HTH
Still in use:
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 7:36am
As far as putting the cover back on, all you have to do is neutral all the gears, and the forks, and for the most part it will drop in place, it takes a bit of wiggling to get the reverse fork to go all the way down.
Still in use:
tcarollo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarollo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 10:55am
Well I actually put the tractor in gear first and then took the cover off. Once I had the cover off I could see how you put in in gear manually. But yes, when in gear, when I let the foot clutch out all the gears start spinning. When I push the clutch in, everything stops. The position of the PD seems to have no affect. The gears would spin when I let the clutch out even if the PD was in neutral.
The tractor has always been a little bit noisy, but I don't hear anything abnormal, nor did we hear anything right before the tractor quit working. I'll try standing on either brake tonight and see what happens.

I suppose that having a PD means that this tractor has a two stage clutch, right? Is there still a possibility that even though the clutch seems to be working and the gears in the tranny are spinning, that something is still bound up with the throw-out bearing? It seems to me that splitting the tractor is probably a lot easier tasks than tearing into the rear housing, but having done neither, I don't really know.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 12:00pm
Some, not all of the gears in the tranny will spin, with everything in neutral and the clutch out.  So let's do this right in the center of the tranny, is a large gear 2nd from the back it has a fork collar on it that slides forward or back.  Sliding it back over the collar teeth will put the tranny in 1st gear.  Make sure the frront smaller collar is centered and not engaging any teeth.  Now with the PD in low or high, does the gear you slid back move with the foot clutch released and engine running?
Still in use:
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 12:08pm
Actually I think getting into the back differential housing would be easier than splitting the tractor myself, The Power dirrector clutch is esentially two clutch packs where two different speed shafts come in the front (one inside the other, one hollow) the shafts are engages seperatly to the transmission input shaft, one when lever foreward, the other when rearward.  The otter shaft rotates slower than the inner one.  It is still possible that something in thhe PD is wrong, that is why I am trying to figure out if power is going through the tranny or not.  My theory about what happened right now, is if you didn't hear any noises when it quit, and the PD cluthc is working, the keeper pin for the spider gear shaft may be laying in the bottom of the case allong with the spider gear pin.  If you got lucky, the differential stopped the last time with the pin somewhat straight up and down, and it simply fell out, then the next time you tired to move it, the carrier simply ejected the spider gears.  This is a theory, and I don't know if there is enough room in there for all that to happen, but it would be the cheapest fix, and the one, that didn't produce any noise.

Edited by Orange Blood - 05 May 2011 at 6:33am
Still in use:
tcarollo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarollo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 3:27pm

A friend of mine came over today and looked at the tractor with me. With the transmission control cover off, and with the PD in neutral, he was able spin the input shaft by hand. And with the PD engauged, he could not spin the input shaft by hand, so it seems like the PD is not the issue. When spinning the output shaft though, he said it felt like it wasn't connected to anything in the rearend. And guess I would expect that if it was connected to anything in the rear end that he shouldn't be able to spin it by hand. So this weekend I'm going to try to pull the lift housing off and take a look. Is there anything in particular about removing the housing that I need to be aware of? Are there any parts I should consider replace while I'm at it? 

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 5:21pm
Well, you will be supprised by this one.  Remove the drawbar, drain the oils, disconnect the transport valve steel lines running forward.  Remove the 1/2" locking bolt/setscrew on the bottom of the right brake housing, remove the ram anchor pin through a hole in the right side of the final drive, use a 8"-10" bolt 1/2" size, remove the PTO shaft and retainer (out the back), support the housing, remover the drawbar hitch brackets, remove the housing bolts and pull it off the back.  You will need to be ready to support the lift ram as the housing comes off, or you could damage the hose or worse yet, nick the ram if the outer housing extends out as it falls.  As for what to replace, I would do all of my seals including the lift ram, and the internal lift ram hose.

HTH

Edited by Orange Blood - 06 May 2011 at 5:24pm
Still in use:
junkman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 6:02pm
And that's all there is to it. LOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by junkman junkman wrote:

And that's all there is to it. LOL
I was going for the TV handyman version, you know, the one where they get six months of work done in 42 minutes, and nothing more than a hammer, and a circular saw is needed.  :D
Still in use:
tcarollo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarollo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 8:45pm
Oh great! This sounds complicated. I was really hoping you were going to tell me that's it's just a couple of bolts and it slides right off. Oh well. It's already broke, so I can't hurt it too much. I guess there's no better time to learn. I'll touch base in a few days. Thanks!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 6:27am
Don't worry about it, it's just a couple bolts and it slides "right" off!  :-)
Still in use:
tcarollo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarollo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 10:23pm
LOL. It was a little more difficult than a few bolts and sliding right off, but all things considered, it went fairly well. I had some trouble removing the ram anchor pin though. I could get it about half way out and then it would hit my left brake rod. Once I disconnected the left brake pedal there was enough slack to work around it. Found the problem too!-- You pretty much guessed it. It looks like the locking pin backed out or came loose and the gear pin busted in half. Both pinion gears were ejected and I found them laying on the bottom of the case. Any idea where I can get a new pin and seal kit to take care of all my seals? Also, once I get the PIN is there a trick to getting the pinion gears back in place? And what keeps the locking pin from backing out again and causing this same issue again?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 1:20pm
How soon do you need to get this tractor running, I will have a parts tractor in July, but that may be too long for you.  If you just want to go to AGCO, most gaskets and seals for the 17 are still available.  I have heard Sandy Lake is pretty good, I think their prices are a bit high compared to my Allis dealer, but I know all have to make money to.

Edited by Orange Blood - 08 May 2011 at 1:20pm
Still in use:
tcarollo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarollo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 3:43pm
I appreciate the offer. Your parts tractor doesn't have a Series I grill on it does it? I found a local dealer and ordered the pinion shaft, gasket, o-rings, and a new locking pin just to be safe. I'm still confused about what holds the locking pin in place though and keeps it from backing out. Is the locking pin simply just held tight by the pressure put on it by the pinion shaft? I'm concerned this could happen again.
tcarollo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarollo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 9:09pm
I just wanted to say thank you for all the help with this. The tractor's been sitting fixed for a while now, but I just haven't filled it back up with oil yet, maybe tomorrow. The new locking pin I received is actually a roll pin, unlike the original, so there's no way it's coming out again.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 9:16pm
Glad you got it fixed.Had read previous posts and always like to hear of a problem being figured out and repaired.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic