This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How would you properly identify this B??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How would you properly identify this B??
    Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 8:10pm
I picked this gem off of Craigslist because the lowered look caught my eye. I thought it might be one of those orchard tractors converted in Canada, but i'm not so sure now. It's serial # 43742. It has the final drives rolled forward, and a solid front axel. The steering shaft has been shortened about 10 inches. The torque tube is standard length. It retains the traditional B fenders. Hand brake levers are different than a normal B. There is no belt pulley but a P.T.O that just sticks out of the rear end and not combined with a hydraulic pump. It has a diamond plate platform that is formed around the torque tube with a place to stash the battery out-of-sight. The clutch pedal looks more automotive than agricultural.

All of the modifications have been done very cleanly. This is in no way a cobbled job. A Woods belly mower was installed on this tractor and does not look like it had to be fabricated to the tractor. I probably can't call this an IB, and it is no where near a row-crop B.

So i ask of us fellow A-C forum members:

1. Has anyone seen another tractor similar to this?

2. What would be a correct title for this tractor? B-Low? B-Industrial Conversion? B-Municipal?

Check out the pictures and please give me your thoughts. Thanks!

Pre-WW2 A-C tractors on steel wheels...because I'm too cheap to buy tires!
Sponsored Links

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 8:25pm
Looks like an IB without the frame rails to me.  But I am no expert when it comes to Bs.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 9:10pm
Perfectly good b, all cubbed up...  Did they disable 2 cyls, to make it the same HP as a cub???Wink
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 9:15pm
Look on what used to be the top of the left axle housing for a SN.

Compare it with my B shop manual and my military B manual.
http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/Allis-Chalmers-G-B-C-CA-Service.pdf
http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/BMilitary.pdf

There might be an IB manual at http://www.grandpastractor.com
in the AC tractor forum. There might be a B operator's manual there too, or on epay.

Gerald J.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 9:32pm
Like you said, it is really done very tastefully, very cleanly.  I've never seen one like it.  Who ever did it did a great job.
I wonder if it was by a municipality for just a mover tractor?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 11:36pm
The rear pto is gonna run all the time unless the clutch is pushed in.
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 6:40am
If I would have seen the CL ad first I would call it "MINE".Smile

Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 7:02am
Nice find.  I'd have snagged that with my mortgage payment if I had to.
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 7:19am
I agree thats not just some owner done job,looks like a conversion for some specific purpose.Anyway its a nice find and a neat variation of a B.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 7:48am
I like the fab work. The person or shop converting it had the use of good metal working equipment. It looks to have the standard torque tube rather than the short IB torque tube. The holes in the steering wheel post shows it was not factory design was a but a conversion.

Edited by Dick L - 17 Feb 2018 at 7:51am
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 8:39am
I would call that a "professionally revised B". That doesn't look like it was done by a do-it-yourselfer.  Probably built for a Municipality for a specific purpose. Look closely at the diamond plate work and especially the hand brake controls. That's pro built if I ever seen it. If it isn't pro built, someone has access to a nice pro fab shop where they can fab pretty much anything they want. I agree with Ted. Nicely done!!  Congrat's on your purchase Jimmy!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 10:16am
IT is a modified B, nothing more
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 10:17am
It is a modified B, nothing more
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 11:52am
I moved my seat  steering wheel and pedals forward about a foot and lowered about six inches, maade foot rest and fenders ,battery box and sheet metal  under tank.I call mine a CUSTIMIZED B.There have been pictures of it on here in time past
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 1:53pm
I have to agree that it was probably made for a special chore in a municipality.  Also, as stated above the modifications are very professionally done.  In fact the very first IB's - if I remember correctly - did not have the i beams.
I can still remember the pictures of the specially built B's with cranes on the front to go into box cars for unloading.
Looks good.
Take good care of my favorite.
Good Luck!
Bill Lonb
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 3:51pm
It is an early 1, no place for a Genny, SSN shows it to be a 39 or 1940 if I crossed it right.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 17 Feb 2018 at 3:59pm
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 10:20am
Judging by the build quality and the color, I'd wager that it was either done by a Product Development department of either AC, or WOODS... somebody that wanted to not only prove the viability of the setup, but also test the viability of a market.

IF it were just a one-off to test for functionality, they would NOT have gone through the trouble to make the nice footwell radius bends and match the curves of the torque tube.

The setup here is yeah, a little 'cubbish', but there's absolutely NO comparison to the cub with respect to power... even with two spark plugs out, the B will stomp the IH flathead c60... probably even keep up with it missing three.

This ISN'T an aircraft tug... at least, not if it were fitted up as seen here- no ballast on the wheels.

The PTO thing is intriguing... if it was a municipal, highway, or fairway mower, it'd have SOME kind of clutching mechanism for the deck.  Did the deck, or the PTO connection point... have a disengagement system?  Perhaps that big disky-looking thing was actually the back side of a multi-plate clutch, so it could be thrown in and out without stopping?  If so, that'd be downright cool.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 9:48am
According to Norm Swinfords's Allis Chalmers Construction Equipment book. not all IB's had the frame as it was an option.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic