This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Ideas-air filter for loader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Ideas-air filter for loader
    Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 4:49pm

I have a early 50's (I think) Hough payloader, Model HA. It is I believe the smallest Hough that was made. It has a gas waukeshe (sp?) engine. It came to me without an air filter. I think it should have one but where to get? Any ideas. An after market filter of some sort (housing and filter) would work. The opening to carb is 1.5" in diameter and I'm sure I could hang a filter housing somewhere. Any ideas on a fix.

A Hough HA is kind of a toy but has pretty good ump on a hard surface. For such an old machine it has factory single stick loader (raise/lower/dump). Getting into it is like getting into wwI by-plane cockpit.
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 6:29pm
Use a filter off some auto or such if you want just a paper element , a couple steel plates with a 1 1/2 hose leading to carb. If your real worried about dust into engine get a large and a small filter and place then inside one another . 
 I do have a oil bath air cleaner off a 2-71 from HD5 out back somewhere . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 10:29pm
Take a look at the Donaldson website. I bought a very inexpensive Donaldson dry air filter with pre cleaner surplus for 15.00 . They are clean air experts.
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 11:16pm
I agree with the dondaldson products. If that is too hard to deal with you might check out the local mower junk yard. Should be able to find any number of external filter bodies on late model front deck mowers and such. Be an easy addaption with some pvc pipe and a little rubber hose and a few clamps.
Yea, I can fix that.....
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 9:14pm
depending on how your carb is setup, something like this might clamp right to it, if you find one with the correct dimensions.  this one is $25, can be cleaned and reused over and over.  if your going to be in dusty conditions alot a paper filter is probably a better choice.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-F1332/
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Rawleigh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rawleigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 1:56pm
How about one of these:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=engines&keyword=NFFF

Another idea is go to a junk yard and remove the air filter box and filter from a 2003-2007 Ford 6.0 Powerstroke diesel.  Made by Donaldson and it is a really good filter.  You can probably get a good filter with the box off of a truck that was struck from the rear.  they are flat bottomed for mounting and it has a filter minder built right into it.

Edited by Rawleigh - 18 Jan 2012 at 1:57pm
hilltop615 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 8:01pm
No matter which way you go with the filter box/housing if it is a different size tube than you've got you can swing by a muffler shop and start with the size pipe you need put any bends in it you may need then have them use their pipe expander to bring it up to the size you need to fit your donor housing (as long as it's not to big of a difference) If there is to much size difference they can do some welding and step up to a bigger pipe. Then get a piece of radiator hose the size of your pipe and where it goes on the card and hose clamp it. I did this on an old tractor my buddy had and its still hanging in there as far as i know.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 5:01pm
Hey Dale, Have you fitted an airbox to your machine yet? Just curious how it worked out if you had done it already.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 1:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic