This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plowing 101

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plowing 101
    Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 9:46am
I need to know how to strike off the first land in plowing, also the dead furrow. My Dad always laid out the feilds for plowing. I have never laid out a field to plow. I have a two bottem plow rope trip, and ready for spring! Thank you for your info!
Sponsored Links

Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 10:08am

Depends a bit on the size and shape of the field but given a large one you figure out the longest distance you want to travel on the end then multiply times 1 1/2. Then from the edge of the field step off that distance and put a flag in the fence or on a stick that you can see from the far end. Go to the far end and step off same distance and mark somehow. Go to that spot drop the plow and STOP. Find the flag on the far end and take off. Do not take your eyes off the flag and you will have a straight headland, everytime you take your eys off that flag you will have a crook in the furrow. Plow that land inwards (headland) until it is as wide as the unplowed distance to the starting edge or fence. Then plow outward (properly called a dead land I think??) the remaining ground between your headland and the fence to a dead furrow. Repete next land over until done. In differant times you would properly finish the dead furrows and neatly plow the ends so everybody and the feed store wasn't kackling about your sloppy plowing, LOL. Now a days you dont get out of the cab and guess the land, finish the dead furrows only if you want to and who gives a rat about the ends, the big disk or digger will make it all OK in the spring.

Don Smith View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 11:16am
Thank you Butch! I am going to put in a garden this year and need to plow .
BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 11:33am
For plowin a garden just plow one way!
Why do today what you can put off til tomorrow.
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 1:04pm
If you have room to manuver the pull plow,I'd just plow one direction throwing it all one way and then reverse it the next year.Now if yer plowing a couple acres or more I'd put a headland in the middle and plow around.You may need to "raise" the furrow wheel a little to make the first pass on flat ground to get the front bottom to turn enough dirt but don't try to plow full depth with the front one or you'll have quite a ridge especially on a headland.
Bret (OH) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bret (OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 1:58pm
Back in the day when we used to plow every field every year, we would alternate the headlands and dead furrows.  The dead furrows would always end up just a little lower (below grade) and you could tell where they were at from plowing last year.  We would then start the headland in the low spot that last year was the dead furrow, and that would help to keep the field level over time.  The dead furrows were usually used to channel the runoff water to the ditches.  there was usually a furrow around the edges of the field and that would get disked in as you worked the ground, unless it was needed for drainage.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 6:43pm
My Daddy always told me that you don't make any money pulling a plow that is not in the ground. 15 paces in from the fence to start the first back furrow for a 30 pace land. 3 acre field or a 20 acre field. 45 paces to start the next land. Kinda hard to use that rule in a garden.
Reeseholler View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reeseholler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 7:07pm
When I plow our garden, I like to keep the dirt contained in the garden and not have it roll over into the grass. So on the edge of the long sides, I start off bymaking one pass on each side, plowing the dirt toward the center then turning right back around and plowing it toward the outside. Then I just put my right wheel in the furrow and I end up with "the trench" in the middle that I just disk in. For a garden it doesn't take me much more time and I can keep all of my dirt in the garden. I don't know plowing terms so excuse my probable poor explaining. Does anybody else do this for small scale plowing? I'm also looking for somebody that might want to have something plowed in PA. I'd like to put my CA and my "Red One" to work.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic