This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PD tranny/8000 series

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PD tranny/8000 series
    Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 9:51am
A friend of mine (currently a die hard JD man) is looking to buy an 8050 FWA with a loader on it. Now I was around a power shift 8050 for a long time, and know that I really liked it, but I haven't got much power director experience to enlighten him on. Can anyone tell me some first hand PD experience. I've heard from one person that the 5 speed shifts kind of hard, anything to that? Come to think of it, my 7580 has a PD, but that's quite a different application than a loader tractor, and the "T" handle shifter is obviously different. I sure don't want this JD guy to go AC, and then be disappointed in it, so any help is greatly appreciated, thanks, Darrel 
Sponsored Links

Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 2:30pm

I prefer the 8000 shifter to a 7000 T handle.It is easier.I've only had it for 2 seasons and did some bush hogging last summer which required a lot of backing and manuvering.the thing you will notice is it has to be STOPPED to change gears.No real room for a roll while changing especially fwd to rev or vice-versa.Clutch brake and pedal adjustments need to be right for best results."Close" won't get it.There's a learning curve.Takes a little getting used to it but then it's okay.If he can learn to do things different than what he's used to....he will do fine and be satisfied. That is MY opinoin.

You can shift up a gear at a time(NOT changeing range) with some light grinding while rolling at part throttle.(not recommended I'm sure).Would be a snap with a foot throttle,but there ain't one.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 3:20pm
Thank you Steve. Everything you said is kind of what I suspected, but wasn't sure. Darrel
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 11:18pm
I know a local farmer that has 3 7060's, a 7045, a 7040, and an 8050, and they all have PD, and he loves them, but he has been around them a long time, because one of the 7060's he bought new.
30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 2:18am
i thought all the 8000 series had the power shift?? maybe not!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 10:01pm
Shameless, I haven't seen too many 8000's that are power directors, but there are some out there, Darrel
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 10:57pm
Shameless they never tested the PD 8000 series in the Nebraska state tractor tests so you had to go out of state to get one. I know Garrestons sold some but they had to bring them in from other dealers. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 11:37pm
Yeah! Try finding a PD 8070.It ain't easy!!!

SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 2:43am
when i bought my 7010 new in 1980, it hadn't been tested yet either, bought it from kemp impl, was on the lot. sometimes i wish i had bought the power shift tho!
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 2:57am
i just never heard of them with the PD
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 3:05am
Shamelss must be working tonight. me to working my second job protecting the big old town of Humpnrey lol. It helps pay the bills
Matt MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 7:56am
Here are some pictures of the Power Director shifting, Notice the toggle switch on the steering column

here is the shifting pattern

Unless your are the lead horse the scenery never changes!!
randy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 11:07am
MY 8050 and 8070 are both power director, both shift good, but i dont have a loader on either one
CA WD WD45 D17 D17 Diesel 7060 8050 8070
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 1:08pm
Matt;What tractor is that?yer missing a gear!LOL(5-speed)
Matt MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 1:23pm
Unless your are the lead horse the scenery never changes!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 10:03pm
Isn't there supposed to be 5 forward and one reverse on the side console? And the switch on the steering column is the hi-lo? Does the hi-lo default to low when you step on the clutch, like the 7000 series? Darrel
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 10:07pm
Actually, the best PowerDirector loader tractor was a 7030-40-50-60 with the floor shift.....shift with your left hand while running the loader with your right hand.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 10:16pm
darrel   yes,yes&yes
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 2:46am
dpower, maybe i'll grab sum beer some night and come mess with ya...at humpfrey!!  hehehe!
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 5:57am
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

Isn't there supposed to be 5 forward and one reverse on the side console? And the switch on the steering column is the hi-lo? Does the hi-lo default to low when you step on the clutch, like the 7000 series? Darrel

The photo is of a 16 speed Power Director. It was an option in leu of the 20 speed PD or 12 speed Power Shift. I think only available on the 8010 & 8030 and before that the 7010, 7020 and maybe, don't quote me, the 7045. I have never seen one in person but unless I drive it or am looking to buy I haven't paid close attention to them at sales either.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic