This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What media to use for sand blasting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What media to use for sand blasting
    Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 1:44pm
Good Day AC fans.

Due to good ol wintertime in Michigan, and not wanting to do nothing, I have taken off items that I can sand and grind to be ready for paint. Floor plates, air cleaner, seat frames, front grills and so on. For much of the small parts I am just using wire brushes and wheels in a good angle grinder. But diamond plate and bigger items, are very time consuming. Also going to use chemical stripper to speed up some of that as well.

For parts I want to try sandblasting, What media is best. I don't have a large vertical compressor. Mine is a 5hp, 25 gallon unit that runs on 220 single phase. Puts out 12.7cfm at 40 psi and 10.6 at 90 psi. Max pressure is 120psi. Kick in pressure is 90 and Kick out pressure is 120. These are low I heard to use a media blaster but would like to try.

Do I use course media, walnuts or what for paint and rust. Thank you everyone.
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 2:04pm
at my previous employer we used fine sand in a large engine powered compressor and blaster, unless blasting thin sheet metal we went to the small pressurized blaster fed off the shop air.  sand is easiest and cheapest media im aware of.  just be sure to wear a mask so you don't breath the silica.  people will say don't use sand but If your not breathing it youll be fine. 

you can blast with your compressor it just wont be continuous.   get a pressured blaster like 50lbs or so.  stay away from the suction type they are junk, the sand doesn't get enough speed to do much.  harbor freight or northern tool etc carry these.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 08 Jan 2018 at 2:06pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 3:07pm
Make sure you don't blast inside or by the doors of your shop.That sand gets into everything and be a real problem to clean good enough to paint. If I was going to get serious again about painting I would invest in a baking soda system. You don't have to worry about removing glass, chrome, or anything like that. Just blast her clean of rust and paint, blow it clean. tape and paint. Just about that simple. You're probably just going to keep it simple, so the silica sand works good. Absolutely do not breath it. Worse than smoking. But enjoy you project and we all would like to see it when it's done.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 5:49pm
Pics will be sent for sure. Thank you for the advice.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 5:51pm
Thank you Cal. I have a water sand blaster but can't use in winter of course. My power washer is 4,000psi hot water and steam. Will try that in Spring to see how it performs.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:30am
I do Not have a sand blaster that works with my pressure washer but I think that such a water blaster would be far superior to using air and sand. The water plus sand will have higher striking inertia than air and sand. Please comment
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 8:56am
If can find it locally, we used Black Beauty media around here. Is basically cinders ground to small fragments/powder, cleans exceptionally fast at less air pressure with less potential for silica poisoning.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:54am
I agree but have not had the chance to try it yet. Its a siphon set up so not pressurized in that respect but at 4k psi, and almost 5gph it really puts out. Looking forward to some spring weather to try it. Also have a local guy whom is highly regarded that has a traveling sand blasting outfit and will come to my place to sand blast if needed.

I am taking the floor plates, exhaust manifold, battery boxes and any other parts that come off to them for a cleaning. They can do soda, glass, walnut, sand or silica blasting. Still would like to do myself as I enjoy the time spent on my old girl.

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:55am
I just looked it up DMiller and found it at Tractor Supply. Course and medium grit. will try a bag of each when ready.

Thank you for the tip.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 5:24pm
Use a respirator with good filters, still loads the sinus and lungs with tiny particles.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 6:04pm
Thank you.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 9:14pm
When Cooke Sales and Service was here in Fulton they cleaned dozers with high pressure hot water and it did a good job.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 6:15am
Agreed Leon. I power wash my tractor and skidsteer with hot water high pressure water with detergent added in and it really blows off grease, dirt and loose paint off.
Dave (Mid-MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (Mid-MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 11:08am
I second the Black Beauty recommendation. It is coal sl*g. The coarse grade works best.

Edited by Dave (Mid-MI) - 26 Mar 2018 at 11:10am
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 11:35am
Thank you Dave. Brought a few bags from Tractor Supply andvwill check it out.

You in Michigan? I'm in Jackson.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 8:37am
Use to process the Black Beauty / Back Diamond blast media as well as silica sand about 2 miles from here - 
 The black media was COAL sl*g - coal is ground into fine powder / chunks then blown into power plant boiler to make electricity. The result is the black pellets left over after combustion, the ash is separated as posolone for concrete additive and the rest is graded to size for blasting . 
 The silica sand was mined , washed , graded , dried and used for sand blasting as well as molding sand for foundry casting of metals . 
  All was well until power plant switched to natural gas - then next the silica sand was found to be good for frack sand  - 4 years of 24/7 mining and hauling and hill they were mining is mostly reduced to waist piles - area ready to be turned into houses or apartment buildings - as suburb creeps out this way . 
  Soda blasting does work good and soda comes in different grades and types also baking soda texture is one but there are other grades that have sharp crystal form that would work good also  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

Use to process the Black Beauty / Back Diamond blast media as well as silica sand about 2 miles from here - 
 The black media was COAL sl*g - coal is ground into fine powder / chunks then blown into power plant boiler to make electricity. The result is the black pellets left over after combustion, the ash is separated as posolone for concrete additive and the rest is graded to size for blasting . 
 The silica sand was mined , washed , graded , dried and used for sand blasting as well as molding sand for foundry casting of metals . 
  All was well until power plant switched to natural gas - then next the silica sand was found to be good for frack sand  - 4 years of 24/7 mining and hauling and hill they were mining is mostly reduced to waist piles - area ready to be turned into houses or apartment buildings - as suburb creeps out this way . 
  Soda blasting does work good and soda comes in different grades and types also baking soda texture is one but there are other grades that have sharp crystal form that would work good also  

Very interesting stuff here Coke. Thank you. Its 48 in Michigan and raining but this weekend in the 50's and the power washer and sand blast kit coming out. My power washer uses syphon method so Im interested in how much this think will blast. My power is a hot water/ steam and puts out 4,000psi and good GPM. Brand name of my washer is a Shark. It really does a great job with the hot water and high pressure so Im thinking if this sand blast kit works half as good as they show, it should be cleaner using water to drive the media. Will take pics and let Y'all know. Or video.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 6:03pm
All these years on here, never realized why the site censors the word sl*g... sl ag, s lag, sla g!Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic