This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is my lucky day or unlucky day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is my lucky day or unlucky day
    Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 5:51pm
Raining a little but not what I call a big storm. Driving to town with the boss ,country road oaks overhanging the road.

A BIG CRASH,on the roof the windshield shatters,a few twigs brush past my drives side window. The shattered windshield is in place but shards on my wife more than me.Stop and we are OK but 10 miles to town and 5 to home. Turn around and go home. Instead of a real small limb that just got the windshield, here is a 6 to 8 inch by 10 foot long limb blocking the whole lane.  

So are almost new Toyota now has a good dent in the roof as well as the rear view mirror and all the electronic goodies in the mount is broke. But it did not smack me or my wonderful in the head or poke a whole in the roof.

So we are lucky that  we have not been hurt. But fun with insurance company has only began.
Sponsored Links

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 7:41pm
I just cannot figure out how or why that happens just at that time.  It coulda fell in front or behind you but waited for just the right time to get you.  I'm thinking those squirrels are getting their timing down!

Glad everyone is okay and you will be better in a month or two after dealing with the insurance co. and the body shop!

Make sure they cut the roof off and put a new one on or you'll have a bucket full of bondo up there.  We had a full size van at work that had to have the roof fixed and that's what they did.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 7:47pm
Ray, I'm sure glad you two are OK.  That's what counts.  Contact your insurance agent.!!!!  It's HIS job to get you some satisfaction.  That is what HIS CUT of your payment is for.  If he doesn't help, just absently tell him you'll contact the state insurance commissioner.  He'll ask you how high you want him to jump.  They KNOW if he gets into the mix, they are out of a job!!  And they like that easy money for doing nothing......
I've only had problems twice and both time just the mention was all it took.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:50pm
Ray, glad neither of you were injured. Take Ted's advice on mentioning the insurance commissioner, much better than calling Dewey, Cheatham and Howe.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 10:27pm
If you can walk away and laugh about it later, its a good day.

Dad says,"Every day is a good day. Just that some are better than others".
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 11:59pm
Crap... that sucks...  but...  at least you're all okay.  Hopefully the body dent up around the windshield rim is repairable such that you don't have seal or wind noise problems... electronics in the mirror and windshield aren't such a big deal...

someone was watching over you... Wink
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 4:32am
You are probably more experienced at the body repair than me, but i doubt it.  LOL
Anyway, I have insurance with USAA and have been to the school a couple of times with them.

1.  I ran into a tree once on a dark and rainy nite.  The tree was laying across a county road.  So I just turned it in and no prob got it fixed.  Confused  Found out that it was the same a if i ran into a brick wall or what ever.  Found out that iffin the tree fell on me as I was driving down the road it would have been like storm damage and not reflected on my driving ability in my golden years.  Tongue

2.  My company has certain shops located where the shop is contracted or whatever with the company.  yeah, you just take it in there and they will take care of the damage.  Well their work to me was real third rate.  i have since found out that i can take my stuff anywhere within reason and get it fixed.  I got heck of a lot better repair that way.

Me i would be reserved about dropping names/agencies until and if I ran into a bump in the road.

If done right, your pride and joy will be fine.  The wife's Highlander got a gouge down the side (I mean like a door replacement for starters).  I bet you my next social security check that you could never tell it was damaged.

Bottom line it is going to be a PITA, but hopefully a small one.

Good to hear the folks came out smelling like a rose, that is the important think.

Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 5:24am
Sorry to hear this Ray. Thank God you and the Mrs. were not injured. Yes, it will be some hassle with the insurance company, but it is their job to make the appropriate repairs and that it is done correctly. Hopefully, that will be the end result. God Bless.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 7:49am
also glad you 2 didn't get hurt...I always shook my head too why it would decide to fall just at the wrong moments.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:07am
Usually God's way of stalling you from a worse accident farther down the road.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:25am
MAN OH MAN Lucky!! Glad to hear nobody hurt!! Cars can be fixed, humans a little less so.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:49am
Lucky v Unlucky, it's all relative.  It's unlucky your vehicle is damaged, but count your blessings thinking of how much worse it could have been.  My vote is lucky!  Glad you're OK!!!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 11:41am
Thank guys,I think the insurance will be a pain. My other experience with my friendly State Farm company, I got a lot more out of them totaling a 100,000 mile mini van back in 96(?) by having recipients for work done in the last 6 months to take it to 200,000.

This is the Toyota Highlander we just bought in August so just turned over 20,000 miles. So I am going with body shop that is high end and already being told I have to pay the extra over what the company approved shop would charge. So any leverage you guys can provide like Ted's comment are really appreciated. Cause I picked this model to take us 200,000 miles.

The agent is somewhat questionable in that they did not answer the first call yesterday, leave a message. My Wonderful was a bit distressed and tried again in 5 and they answered. But then claims gave us the runaround about the approved rental company that is 40 miles away. Another call to the agent got a young guy who got after people and got us a call from the in town rental company. They are also moaning about having it towed to the shop since we drove in home. But being with no cell service and a back road is different than when you have a choice. 

So a very mixed day. But as said I am up right and able to be about. 

I still can see the whole thing a just a few seconds different and that limb 2 or 3 feet closer to the ground and having it slide up the hood inside the cab with us.

So if you ever come to this part of the world and you get behind someone just creeping along could very well be me. 
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 9:52pm
Glad you are ok Ray.  Wind has been terrible up on the hill 41MPH yesterday 38 MPH right now.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 11:05pm
Glad you guys are safe. It always can be worse! God Bless!
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 7:45am
unlucky for the sheet metal and glass, but very lucky for the flesh and bones.  In a few years that vehicle will move on to another owner or the scrap yard and be replaced.   You cannot be replaced, so the most important things were spared and kept safe.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 9:55am
Glad you and the wife are ok.

Dealing with insurance for me has been a mixed bad. Sometimes good and sometimes no so good. Last wreck I was in was on the bike where a woman turned left in front of me. I T boned her in the rear wheel enough to bend her steel rim and flattened my front tire and bent my rim. Dealer ship estimated replacing everything except the tail light so the insurance wanted to total the bike. I told them to pound sand after seeing the estimate and had them bring the bike back to me. I did a proper estimation on what was needed and told the insurance that I was going to do the repairs and they could just pay for the parts. I replaced everything that was damaged and they sent me a check. Driver that caused the wreck paid my deductible.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic