This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Track off on HD9 Any ADVICE How to get back on

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Track off on HD9 Any ADVICE How to get back on
    Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 11:41am

Edited by BillRO - 17 Sep 2014 at 11:43am
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 6:46pm
You are going to need a lot of aid if you have never done this.

Biggest part of the adventure, get the tractor jacked AND BLOCKED, to get maneuvering room for resetting the rail. First; The rail needs to be realigned to the rear sprocket if it full came off, the idler tension has to be bled off fully if grease type or the adjustment completely backed off to get it there. Next; The bottom will need to be dragged back into align to the bottom rollers(I used a second tractor, could use a tree and come-a-longs) then with large prybars and whatever come-a-longs or chain falls or block and tackle you can muster get the rail back up on the idler.

Took me four seemed like endless hours to rehang the rail on my HD7G, I used every tool at my farm to get it done, helping hands are a definite plus.

Edited by DMiller - 21 Sep 2014 at 6:47pm
BillRO View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 7:38pm
Thank you
I have some Friends that have told me about the same thing, I have a 312 Page Book that will be here Mon or Tue , it will give detailed Instructions how to back off the Tension etc
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 7:39am
Pay special attention to your tractor when jacked up, stay well out of harms way until you are certain it is blocked and stable, these machines are unforgiving when it comes to falling on you..
The only other way is to back off rail tension and drive the master pin out to rehang the rail, not a easy task either and as I have found the master usually sits in a bad spot when this occurs!
sbp View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 10:34pm
As Mr. Miller says be Safe.  I installed a set of pinned tracks on my 7g by the same basis concept as putting a chain on a bicycle.  I took the grease fittings out of the idler adjusters then used a comealong to pull the idler all the way back.  then took my other tractor with forks on it and started on top of the sprocket then the carriers, then front idler, pried the ends then pushed (with sledge hammer n wood blocks and tractor forks) the track under the truck frame.  after the track was aligned i put the grease fitting back in and greased the idler out to where i could set the machine on the ground.  Good luck.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 9:07pm
If the track isn't completely off:
I remember the track coming off the sprocket on the old HD5 when we were kids- dad just hooked a tractor with a chain to the track to force it in the right direction, and then they drove the crawler at the same time to pull the track over the sprocket.
I did the same thing today, track popped off on an excavator at the sprocket, but was still on 2/3 of the rollers on the bottom.  I swung the bucket in close and kept pressure on the track as I eased the machine forward.  Once it popped back over the sprocket, I used a long timber to pry the rail back onto the top rollers.  Not the approved method perhaps, but hey, we were back to digging in about 15 minutes, without using any tools.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic