This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model B help freeze plug and timing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamblin28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model B help freeze plug and timing
    Posted: 27 May 2016 at 10:48am
I am new to tractors, my father in law has a 1942 model b and has rebuilt his motor from the ground up a year ago. One freeze plug had a hole and was leaking but they are so mangled I can't get a good measurement anyone know the size?

He also said it's firing on 2 when it should fire on 1 at top dead center any tips or tricks on how to time this correctly? I've been reading till my brain hurts haha. I will be working on it this weekend for him so any advise would be great. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 11:54am
you can take the mag off, turn the shaft 90 degrees, and reinstall......... or you can set the mag when it fires at "#2" and put the #1 plug wire in that hole and rotate all the wires to a new position........ it is not critical that #1 plug wire be in a specific hole unless you are politically correct.

on the plug, remove it and measure the hole that needs plugged.. Go to NAPA and get a replacement
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 6:36pm
Find TDC by removing the #1 plug, hold your thumb over the spark plug hole and (hand) crank the engine until you feel the pressure. Stop and insert a long wire into the hole until it contacts the piston then slowly crank the engine until the wire quits moving out the hole; this is TDC. Remove the distributor cap, the rotator will be pointing at # 1 cylinder. Allis firing order is 1-2-4-3 Clockwise rotation, so check that the spark plug wires are in this order, re-adjust them if necessary.

Once the engine is running, I adjust the timing by ear; rotate the distributor one direction until the engine loads up, then rotate it the other direction until it loads up again, then split the difference.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
EagleTDL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleTDL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 8:28am
Funny that Hamblin28 posted this, I was going to post something similar on this long weekend...

I think my old Frankenstein B is firing on #2 also...  When I hook up a timing light and look for a timing mark through the bell housing, I don't see "Fire" in the window.  Will a timing light that is built for today engines work properly on a 1939 mag-equipped engine? 

Reason I'm looking at this is that my B has developed a miss.  When I broke it down and cleaned it up, I never touched anything in the magneto.  I'm beginning to think that it may be due for some points and a condenser?  It's a Wico Model X, does anyone know where I can get some parts for it? 

Thanks for the help!
Hamblin28 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamblin28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 5:39pm
Got the freeze plug in. Not on to timing. I am currently trying to clean the timing marks, this is a magneto tractor. So when it's blowing out out a wire in and run it to tdc then look for the center line in the timing hole? Then set the mag to cylinder 1? I have not a clue what im doing so all advise is awesome thanks in advance
Hamblin28 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamblin28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 5:56pm
I can barely make it out but it appears to say "fire" on the timing mark now I need to find center them how do I time the magneto? I'm marking the timing marks now
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 5:59pm
I set number one cylinder on the compression stroke so the magneto drive a little past vertical and before TDC.  I put the magneto in a vice and snap it over with wires to check the spark on each terminal. When I am sure I have spark to all wires when I get a spark on number four cap terminal I tape the impulse so it can not turn back wards.   I then install the magneto.
Since it has fired on number four terminal the next fire will be from number one terminal and when the instant it sparks hand cranking after installing the magneto  it should have the TDC line in the inspection hole.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Hamblin28 Hamblin28 wrote:

I can barely make it out but it appears to say "fire" on the timing mark now I need to find center them how do I time the magneto? I'm marking the timing marks now

After finding the fire line you will turn 30ยบ farther to find the TDC line.  The fire line is where you can install the magneto.  At the TDC line the impulse spring will not let you install the magneto.

Edited by Dick L - 28 May 2016 at 6:05pm
Hamblin28 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamblin28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 6:26pm
So should I set the mag ready to fire on one at the fire line or at the center line? I haven't found the center line yet..
Hamblin28 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamblin28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 7:07pm
Found the center line it sparks on 1 at the center line that's correct right? I put gas in it and used a little starting fluid and it will pop once in a while but won't fire up. It has a new carb and it has gas in the bowl any other tips on getting it fired up? Once I get tubes and get the tires on I can try pull starting it but it would be nice to hear it fire up. What Throttle position should it be at? Barley open and choke on?
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 7:29pm
Hard to tell where to set the choke. It is something you have figure out with trial and error.  My C I mow with will not start if I give it any choke. I have several tractors that will not start without a moment choke as the starter is cranking. I start my mowing C at about half throttle.  
Hamblin28 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamblin28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 8:15pm
It's difficult to crank because it's say so long but it has new sleeves and piston it's sparking at the correct time but I think it has a fuel issue. It doesn't seem to be getting fuel to the spark plugs. With starting fluid it will pop evey once in a while. I may have to try to pull start it once I have the tires mounted.. He's been working on this for 5 years and I've been messing with it on and off I think we are close but still haven't got it to fire up
Hamblin28 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamblin28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 8:57pm
Well I had cyl 1 spark plug out checking the timing and got a flame ball out of the manifold I guess fuel and air mixture intered the manifold and cyl 2 ignighted the mixture. I think I have a fueling issue or the fact that I can't spin the crank fast cause the compresion is high. Maybe ground the magneto a few cranks to get fuel in the motor? Or just try pull starting it to get the rpms up and but to see if it will fire. I'm done for the night. Any advise you give I will try tomorrow when I wake up thanks for all of your help i have gotten far on it just got a few issues to button up.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 10:14pm
hand cranking is a pain the ars... All mine are now electric start.. If you are SURE you have #1 firing at the TDC mark, and the carb bowl has fuel in it, then I would pull start and see if it will run.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Hamblin28 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamblin28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 10:20pm
It is firing on 1 at tdc. Fuel bowl has fuel so now it's just gotta crank fast enough to get fuel into the cylinders. I'm gonna pull it and see what happens
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic